Another A2 bites the dust

Well, it looks like my A2 will be written-off following an altercation with a Bentley last night. The front offside chassis member looks bent, so I'm pretty sure the insurance company will write her off. Luckily no one was hurt, but the poor little car didn't stand a chance against the huge and heavy Bentley (it's wheel and tyre seemed almost as big as an A2!).

I'd only had cruise fitted about a month ago and just before Christmas she had the second (big) service, cambelt/tensioners/water pump, brake fluid change and aircon service.

Anyway, I suspect the problems now start. For one thing I bet the insurance company will undervalue it and I'll have a fight on my hands.

But more worrying is trying to get another A2. She was a TDI 75 SE with divided rear seats and had some nice options like multifunction steering wheel, Symphony CD (double din dash), winter pack and satellite cloth (which came with luggage nets).

I've searched the web but there's not many TDI SEs about — if anyone out there's thinking of selling theirs, please let me know!

If I can't find another A2 what do I replace it with? There's absolutely nothing second-hand with the same build quality, space utilisation, individual styling and economy. Everything in that area looks totally boring. Any suggestions?

If I went for a new car, the only thing that's sort of reasonably priced, the only thing that takes my eye is the new Skoda Roomster. At least it's distinctive and has the 1.4 TDI engine, and Skoda dealers look after their customers better than everyone else according to reports.. Feedback on that anyone?

The only advantage is I've not got to replace her straight away, as I've got use of another car for four months at least (wife's just had major brain surgery so she's not allowed to drive yet).

Off for a week's holiday tomorrow, so apologies now if anyone PMs me, etc, as I won't be able to get on to the site until we get home next Sunday.

Really sorry to hear about your A2, but thank god nobody god hurt, as that is the most important part, the rest is just about money

So who was at fault?, and most of the time (at least in my insurances) i have a replacement car

I hope for you that the car is not a write off, as it it was (like you said) a good spec car.

Well keep us posted on the pogress

And the best luck to you and your wife

and a happy holiday

Sorry to hear this.

I have only written 1 car off and I hate dealign with insurers - they offer you trade, but where can we buy a car at trade for. I ended up getting a fair market value in the end but it took weeks to resolve.

How did the Bently Fair?

Sorry to hear that

If you do go new and want eco model try the new Polo Blue motion TDI - a much reduced drag figure, around 60mpg and just 102g/km CO2 - better than a Prius!

Good idea re Polo.

I had also thought about (but forgotten to add in my post) that I quite fancy an A2 1.2 TDI from Germany, but it seems a bit of a hassle trying to find a good one from this distance, although the actual import seems reasonably straightforward.

Had a Polo 1.9 SDI (pre facelift) which I liked, but SWMBO hated it (probably something to do with the fact that I swapped her New Beetle 1.6 auto for it as the Polo was considerably cheaper to run!)

Sorry to hear that your car may be written off.
I was in an accident a month ago and still have not had work back from the insurers as to whether mine will be written off or repaired! All be cause the girl who was the other party hasn't bothered to fill in an accident report form for her insurance company! I've been told that they're willing to wait up to 6 months for her to fill in this form and send it back!!

Unlucky Mate,

Humm your decription for crash profile sounds alot like mine, see attached picture :( >>

He Premea2

That are exactly the wheels i would like to have:)

Which one are they and are they 16 or 17inch ones

PS did your one get repaired??, as it doesn't look to bad from the pictures

Richard,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but if the car is deemed to be a write-off, you could always buy it back and repair it yourself. Damage as shown below is very repairable and at reasonable costs, especially compared to a dealer.

The stiffness of the A2 means that the whole chassis is unlikely to be bent, just because the front members are - they are designed this way and are replaceable.

It's entirely up to you obviously, but if you like the car and have faith in it then buy it back and do it up - I know that'd be my first choice if I were in your position.

Cheers and good luck,

Mike

Bummer, sorry to hear this, main thing is only metal got bent, not people (other than pride)

My advice would be to ensure it gets looked at by a Audi Ally bodyshop of which I believe there are 2 or 3 in the country, they are the experts and know what can and can't be repaired,

I've seen an A2 in the SKF in Audenshaw that had just the type of repair yours sounds like, they are designed to shed bits of suspension, bodywork and chassis legs, firstly to dissapate the energy of the impact secondly to make the repairs more viable.

An ordinary body shop may not appreciate this, not want to do the work and scare off the insurance company,
Don't forget it's your choice of where you get the repair done not theirs (although they will try to tell you otherwise) it really depends on whether you want it back or not.

When my 80 avant was written off I was offered a very fair value, almost too good to be true!

I know :<

chucknaldo said:
2 primea2... ouch!
- it suck's! (Hanvack) mine were 17" and the one your looking at is damaged beyond repair. I have mine re-finished in silver matt and colour-coded the inset spokes in "Dolphin Gray" looked wicked..... I had JUST put new tires on the front aswel :(

Hi Richard,

I would just like to offer my condolences at your misfortune as many other club members have already done. :mad:

I hope that your car is not written off and can be restored to former glory. If as Mike says you "believe" in the car, give serious consideration to having the repair work undertaken yourself if Mr Insurer decides the worst.

At the end of the day, human life far out ways any vehicle, so take heart that no one was hurt or worse.

Try to enjoy the holiday and a speedy recovery to Mrs Richard!!

Cheers,

Darren

A sound bit of advice from SKipton earlier.

Also, if you are dealing with insurers for the car send them some evidence of comparable models and the asking prices. I know this helps in getting them to offer a fairer price.

Hope all is well

regards
A2look

Before you get it repaired, have a really good think, I had a big whack in a previous car and it was repaired by a BMW bodyshop, it was never the same, and I sold it shortly afterwards at a loss. About a new car - I almost bought a diesel Mitsubishi Colt, £10k from car supermarket, the same as I paid for my A2, better reliability, cheaper to run, just a bit duller. IMHO Polos are terrible to look at and average to drive. Or a Smart Forfour, now they are discontinued, might be getting cheap, they are basically the same as a Colt but a bit more expensive. My friend has a new diesel Toyota Yaris and that is good, although the petrol is supposed to be better, but it depends what you're after. Cars have moved on in the last 7 years, might be better to consider something else.....Looking at how easily they are getting written off puts me off somewhat.

Mine Also Written Off

[QUOTE=richardaudi0]Well, it looks like my A2 will be written-off following an altercation with a Bentley last night. The front offside chassis member looks bent, so I'm pretty sure the insurance company will write her off. Luckily no one was hurt, but the poor little car didn't stand a chance against the huge and heavy Bentley (it's wheel and tyre seemed almost as big as an A2!).

I'd only had cruise fitted about a month ago and just before Christmas she had the second (big) service, cambelt/tensioners/water pump, brake fluid change and aircon service.

Anyway, I suspect the problems now start. For one thing I bet the insurance company will undervalue it and I'll have a fight on my hands.

But more worrying is trying to get another A2. She was a TDI 75 SE with divided rear seats and had some nice options like multifunction steering wheel, Symphony CD (double din dash), winter pack and satellite cloth (which came with luggage nets).

I've searched the web but there's not many TDI SEs about — if anyone out there's thinking of selling theirs, please let me know!

If I can't find another A2 what do I replace it with? There's absolutely nothing second-hand with the same build quality, space utilisation, individual styling and economy. Everything in that area looks totally boring. Any suggestions?

If I went for a new car, the only thing that's sort of reasonably priced, the only thing that takes my eye is the new Skoda Roomster. At least it's distinctive and has the 1.4 TDI engine, and Skoda dealers look after their customers better than everyone else according to reports.. Feedback on that anyone?

The only advantage is I've not got to replace her straight away, as I've got use of another car for four months at least (wife's just had major brain surgery so she's not allowed to drive yet).

Off for a week's holiday tomorrow, so apologies now if anyone PMs me, etc, as I won't be able to get on to the site until we get home next Sunday.[/QUOTE]
Our A2 was written off by motor cyclist on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend.Wife broke 2 ribs on impact.Now replaced with merc a class.A nice car,better ride and quieter(now petrol)But i loved our a2....

Well, just back from holiday in Wales and the good news is that my A2 is not going to be written off as I thought — I just hope the repairs are up to scratch, though, and I won't have to battle with the insurer/repairer.

While we were in Wales, I visited Forge Garage, near Aberaeron, as they had a 2005 TDI 90 for sale. Forge is an ex-Audi and Volkswagen dealer, but have been independent for about 12 years. We were very impressed with them — lots of helpful advice and very friendly. Their website's worth a visit if anyone's looking for another car, although they said A2s are now becoming like hen's teeth since production stopped.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your kind messages and advice — it's been greatly appreciated. What a great little community this is! I'll keep you posted when the car's back with me.

Good news then Richard.

As long as the repairs are seen to by a proper Audi bodyshop, used to dealing with aluminium cars, things should be alright.

If your car is pearlescent, or metallic, just check the paint job is up to scratch on its return - it took 3 attempts to match Tanks paint. Apparently, the pearl layer can be laid on horizontally or vertically and they did the wrong thing on the first occasion, had some blue left in the sprayer the second time and got it correct on the third go!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Richard,

Pleased to hear that you have received some good news following your misfortune.

Fingers crossed that the repairs go well and that the vehicle difference is unnoticeable in every respect post incident.

Best wishes,

Darren

Back