Indicators

digbi8

Has anyone got any ideas why the left/right indicators don't work whilst the hazards work fine? 1.4tdi

The controller for the indicators and hazard lights has two discrete relays inside, one for each function. It would appear that one has failed. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could fix it yourself, as many people have done.

Otherwise, just pay Mr Audi £22 and get a complete new controller.

Cheers,

Mike

thats an easy one to explain. When you use left or right indicators you are pulling current for 3 bulbs. When you use the hazard lights you are pulling current for 6 bulbs so pulling more current through the relay makes it work I have posted this already on the forum somewhere when I had problems with the indicators. Solution is to either repair the relay as suggested by Skipton or to replace it which is what I did under warranty

Sorry crb1011, but I don't think that's right. As Skipton01 says, there are two separate relays, one for direction indication and one for hazard warning. They just happen to be connected to the same loads (the bulbs) via different paths. The contacts of the indicator relay are fairly small (IMHO not really up to the job) and they are used much more frequently than hazard warnings. They oxidize and eventually burn out.

There are some good pictures of the innards of the flasher module on the DIY repair thread.

Regards,

Dev

Last edited:
Back