Anti Roll Bar Replacement Thread

ecoangel

The A2 anti roll bar has had a design change but no recall from Audi UK. There is nothing wrong with the bar itself but rather the 2 plastic collars that prevent the rubber mounts from moving sideways under load.

These collars were attached in the factory before powder coating/painting. Corrosion occurs on the surface beneath the collar and eventually it splits requiring the entire bar to be changed and corresponding sub frame alignment.

This fault is common to the Audi A4 and previous TT models.

The new bar has metal collars.

The Audi TT Club members sent a list to Customer Services and now all TT anti roll bars are replaced FREE regardless of warranty status.

We can achieve the same for A2OC and A2 drivers so if you have had this fault please list below to include type (FSI,TDI etc),age of car, when replaced, miles, and cost (or FOC if under warranty).

Cheers

here's mine:

A2 1.2 TDI, 06/2001, 06/2007, 82k, approx £300.

My 1,6FSI sport has had 2 anti roll bars fitted.

The first was quite early on in my ownership. I bought my A2 from Smith Knight and Fay in Stockport with 6k on the clock in early Sept '03. It had been the show car for the 2001 Motor Show and then run by Audi management till auctioned to SKF. The roll bar was replaced under warranty within weeks as handling was all over the place.

I had the a new roll bar fitted late last year. I bought one complete with new collars from VAG parts (excellent service and advice, must get a discount card from Ben) and fitted by my local VW dealer. I think the total cost was circa £150, but can't be sure. But it is fine and drives very well again.

thanks bye bye alfa and mark briggs

but is that all folks?

Intention is to send link to this thread alongside a letter to Audi UK

Your assistance will help other A2 owners and probably enable you to get a refund if not covered by warranty.

Cheers for now

A2 1.4 Sport, registered 09/2003, 34k miles, farb replaced 07/2007 by Audi Bromley at a cost of £590.72.

Gold would be a bit heavy;) Its possible they merely tested the anti-roll on the thighs of virgins...

what's up with everyone here? there was always lots' of bitc*in' about roll bars, now we've got a chance to do something about it... let's do the english thing and keep quiet and take in the wallet...

COME ON...

congrats eco, for starting the thread.

A2 1.4,FARB replaced after 1 month of ownership!

Hi guys,

I see I am not alone,and wish I had researched a little more before buying this car for my partners 30th birthday present. After a week or so,I noticed a mild knocking noise from just under the pedals. As I wanted other work doing -misfire,leaking headlight,slow seatbelts (!) (bought from an independent dealer with apparently a good rep) I arranged for the car to go back in. When I collected it I was told that the anti roll bar had become detached at the mounts (as seems to be common) but they would have to order one in. Now fair enough,I won't be paying for this as I got a 6 month warranty, but an 875kg car breaking its FARB?? I have been in and around the trade since I could drive (12 years old but don't tell anyone) and am now Technical Manager at a large garage equipment company. I have never heard of such a thing. I could understand it in a nose heavy car that gets thrown around (a bit like my golf 4motion then) but this has really got up my nose. Slightly (I think) off topic,would this fault cause a vibration upon acceleration at say 50mph plus? The repair will be done in a couple of weeks.Or should I suspect the dual mass flywheel? (If it has one,I know the TDI does). Thanks again,and sorry for the verbose prose.

A2 1.4 SE,2001/51,61k

Mat

The anti roll bar itself would last a lifetime if they were properly treated. It is not so much the steel bar but the stupid plastic collar that is supposed to retain the front mounting rubbers laterally. This plastic becomes brittle and breaks mostly due to corrosion of the untreated bar beneath it.

Remember the days of anti perforation g-tees? I think Audi used to offer 8 years for bodywork - well these bars rust under the plastic almost immediately.

New design has steel collars - same issue affects A3, TT and A4.

I took my car in to see if we could find the clicking I have with my car and we noticed on the right side of the bar it was rusty and the collar has come away so it looks like I need a new one soon.

How much does the new anti-roll bars cost without fitting.

Last edited:
richard- said:
I took my car in to see if we could find the clicking I have with my car and we noticed on the right side of the bar it was rusty and the collar has come away so it looks like I need a new one soon.

How much does the new anti-roll bars cost without fitting.

Mine showed up on the Work Authority form as:
Front anti roll bar: 820 411 305M x 1 @ £54.06 (that 2 might be a Z)
I also needed new bushes: 6Q0 411 314L x 2 @ £0.99
+4WA+bolts for steering rack and subframe (N101041801 x 2 @ £1.25 and N10492101 x 4 @ £0.17

So, pretty cheap really. Then £437 labour.... :(

I will have a go at a letter to audi too, it's worth a shot if I can save paying out for it when they are aware of the bad design. Do you know what you are writting.

Ours has been done - as I have previously posted (see http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4630&highlight=antiroll)

Car is SE TDI75 2001/Y.
Bar was replaced after 2nd service, i.e. about 65K miles, after Audi dealer spotted the problem. Audi dealer quoted about £400 including unnecessary alignment check. We got our tame mechanic to do it for about £200. New bar was the modified version.
I have the precise figures at home if needed.

Done during multi point check

Hi,
My 2002 TDi had a new ARB fitted as part of the MOT / multipoint check on purchase of the vehicle from Teesside Audi. The salesman was a bit gutted, as he saw his used car sales commission disappear! I think he said it cost around £350. Surely if everyone is having them replaced then it should be done under a recall / warranty claim. I would be a bit p***ed if I had to fork out now! :(
All in all my TDi has had over £1000 of stuff done under warranty in the first 6 months, (EGR valve and pressure sensor, ARB, ignition barrel and switch) so the used car warranty is excellent. :D

wrt the warranty claim for ARB's, maybe a standard letter that everyone could download, fill in their details and post to Audi would help? I would certainly fill one in and post it even though I got the work done free. Every little helps! (sorry sad Tesco-ism ;) )

Cheers, Dave

I dont think VAG will be doing a recall anytime soon! The same bar gets the same fault on Polos (and maybe on SEATs as well) so there are 10's of 1000's involved. VAG will probably be doing all they can to avoid the issue....

(Sorry to be a misery! We should probably be trying anyway... :) )

Yeap had mine done

At 3 years old and during the MOT. The main reason I booked it in 2 weeks before the warranty was up. got it done for free:)

A2 TDI SPORT 2004 45000 miles

Just back from the confirmation about the front wheel bearing and they want to do front discs and pads along with the ARB.

Quote for the ARB on its own was aabout £70 + 1.6 Hrs + £50 alignment. All in about £260.

Great!

Jonathan

jonathanlailey said:
Quote for the ARB on its own was about £70 + 1.6 Hrs + £50 alignment. All in about £260.

Sorry to drag off topic here, but can I just ask if that price was from an audi dealer? If so, can you give me their details as I'm being quoted 3 times that amount and am having to surrender the car as I can't stump the cash.

Cheers,

Andy.

Back