Oil Sensor

ecoangel

Oil Sensor light comes on intermitently again.

T'was replaced by Audi in Aug 2004 when car had 44k miles.

Now 89k miles

Anyone else had this issue?

Also there seem to be several part nos one ends B and another D.

Hi Lukas

Oil level sensor p/n 045 907 660 B seems the only number to be listed for for the 'ANY' engine

Cheers Spike

Could also possibly indicate a poor connection to the pressure switch. Try unplugging it and see if it stays on all the time.

RAB

Mine too...

Mine started coming on intermitantly some two months/1000 miles ago and now permanently on. Oil level on dipstick shows near full but did wonder about reliability of this as other posts mention the plastic bit on the end of the "stick" falling off. Presumably if the end works loose before falling off it will show a low oil level as OK. Still, no oil pressure lights even on tight bends or steep driveways would suggest dipstick is correct ;). Is there a way of testing the sender or are they cheap enough to swap just on an assumption of being fauly?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how "intelligent" the sensor is? Is it just a variable resistance or capacitance (and if so what values for full oil level)? If this was the case then I would try by replacing it with a resistor or capacitor of the appropriate value so it keeps the light off, and rely on the dipstick. After all, I've managed to drive cars with just a dipstick for donkey's years. These darn new-fangled things are OK until they go wrong...

Thanks RAB - do you have a diagram?

Lukas,

Sorry no diagram at the moment. Mine was intermittent, now on all the time. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard! But at least the latter has another use!

Regards

RAB

If anyone is interested there's an A2 oil level sensor on Ebay at the moment - item No. 120159643395 The listing info given is for AUA, BBY and BAD engines (Part Nos. 1J0907660B, 1J0 907 660 B) and priced at £34.95 + £6.00 P&P. Seller has 162 feedbacks at 100% but I don't know who it is and can't vouch for anything.

PS Just found another one Item No. 120186570509

Last edited:
Right - ours has started doing it now! Girlfriend comes in the other day says oil level warning is on. I have to say I've never used the dipstick (I know its lazy but Audis do have a mechanical level indicator). Anyway, threw in some oil from the can, didn't measure it (very lazy!) Warning light goes out. Next day she comes home its back on again. I go and check in the morning and its gone out. I'm now abit cautious as I don't want to over fill it and pull out the dipstick - no oil on it. I'm thinking this looks a bit odd, so I check in the manual and it looks like the dipstick is bust. (picture attached - can someone confirm - thanks).
So looks like a faulty switch - where is it located so I can start with cleaning it - before I order a new one.

Thanks

Jonathan

I've now found the sensor. For info its item 20 on the attached thumbnail. I'm hoping the broken bit of dipstick is stuck somewhere and is the culprit.

Cheers

Jonathan

Forget the sensor for the time being, get a new dipstick first and take it from there.

The new dipstick is just over a fiver and the snapped off bit won't cause any damage to the system as it'll remain in the sump, trapped by the coarse strainer.

Cheers,

Mike

Reactions: Ted
Installation

Ok temp unemployed at the moment so looking to do this job the DIY way.

Any advice most appreciated.

Best

My oil level warning is now on almost permanently but the strange thing is that the last twice I've opened the service hatch it has been OK on the next journey.

Is this just a strange coincidence or is there any logical basis that anyone can spot?

I notice that the hatch has a switch to detect it opening but I assume that this is a closure switch linked into the alarm system.

Job Done

Spent far too long changing an oil sensor. The dealer changed it 3 years ago but today I discovered the dip stick tube support was broken and glued up because the tube had been bent - so much for 90GBP/hour main dealer servicing!

It is best to drain off all old oil and buy some more. You will need 10mm socket and spanner - just 3 bolts but like a rubricks cube it's a fiddle to get the old one out and new one in correctly!

DILBERT, the oil sensor light will go out just by opening the service flap. you dont even have to check the oil for it to go out. think audi work on the basis that if you open the flap you do the checks. of course if you dont put any oil in the light will come on again roughly every 50 miles or so (well mine did) the answer is to get audi to check the oil for you (my dealer did this for nought) but if it needs oil they wil charge for what you use

i have bought an oil level sensor recently from a vw audi parts uk place on ebay but the part number is 1J0907660C can anybody tell me if its genuine and correct please.

Back