Votex (i think) BodyKit Part help needed?!

Draggon

A2OC Donor
When we bought the A2 it had a part missing from the side skirt of the kit it has installed.
On the passenger side, side skirt, it is missing the cover over the jacking point towards the front.
The previous owner has this on order from Chingford Audi (Bernie @ Chingford being the contact)
However it has been on order from Germany for a very long time and I wanted to see if I could help speed the process up.
Chingford say that it is not Audi policy to give part numbers to the public so I drew a blank there. (They were very polite, but not as helpful as I had hoped)

Any other ides?

Many thanks in advance
Steve

I can have a look tonight/tomorrow, my kit is in the shed. I'm missing one of the jack hole cover as well. IIRC, they all have the same part number but with a different suffix like VR/HR ...etc to identify the front/rear/left/right as they have slightly different fit.

8Z0 071 685 is the part number, it is the same for all four jacking point covers.

Also Chingford Audi are the worst dealers I have ever known, so don't expect anything from them!.... been waiting a phone call from them for 18 months!!! ...safe to say won't materialise on it's own, so got the big guns out (Mike) :)

Cheers

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
covers

hi.i bought a kit and the covers were missing aswell!!so i got some perspex 3mm,cut it to shape and then heated it to the curve of the skirt. but made a template out of tin first!! it worked a treat!!audi told me they would have to have them made at about £25 each!!:(

I can have a look tonight/tomorrow, my kit is in the shed. I'm missing one of the jack hole cover as well. IIRC, they all have the same part number but with a different suffix like VR/HR ...etc to identify the front/rear/left/right as they have slightly different fit.

That is good to know, thanks for that, all ionfo is appreciated.

8Z0 071 685 is the part number, it is the same for all four jacking point covers.

Also Chingford Audi are the worst dealers I have ever known, so don't expect anything from them!.... been waiting a phone call from them for 18 months!!! ...safe to say won't materialise on it's own, so got the big guns out (Mike) :)

Cheers

Sarge

Ah ha, well that might figure, they were very polite, but i did not feel as though someone might call up Germany and ask where the parts are, as soon as I put the phone down...that is what I would do anyway :(
Thanks for the part number too :)

hi.i bought a kit and the covers were missing aswell!!so i got some perspex 3mm,cut it to shape and then heated it to the curve of the skirt. but made a template out of tin first!! it worked a treat!!audi told me they would have to have them made at about £25 each!!:(

That is good to know Mikee....if i draw a blank I may need a template :)

OK, I am giving up.
Audi will never source me the Side Skirt Jack covers so will I have to have 1 made :(

Mikee: Did you ever get a template made and what did it look like?

No idea where to start really, will have to try and find a plastic worker locally I guess.

Any thoughts?

Ask Doncaster Audi. They sourced some parts for mine and were good in doing so.

regards

Cheers, will try them but it looks like Audi has discontinued them ages ago....will have to get some made...just not sure how or where :(

Finally got one made

Finally got a side skirt jack point cover made.

A friend of mine makes Film props, fixes guns and is generally good with plastics and rubbers etc ....sounds weird now I write it down :D

Anyway, it was a clone copy in resin fibre from the VR (front right) which of course is not the right shape.

However it does sort of look ok and will look good when fitted and painted etc.

I have some work to do before im able to fit properly and may even start a thread to show my process...or just update this thread. (will wait on a mod to say what is best.)

Any way some pics of the raw part.....and now some work to do.

if he's interested in making a small run, you will get takers. Work out a price, please, I know there are 3-4 users on the German forum looking for this kind of thing...

Bret

A wild stab in the dark, but can you not get the part from a VW dealer?

At a guess, the part may be used on another car, not just the A2? Having said that, if it is an extra side skirt for the bottom of the car, then yes, I agree that you do need the Audi part, as only that will fit.

A wild stab in the dark, but can you not get the part from a VW dealer?

At a guess, the part may be used on another car, not just the A2? Having said that, if it is an extra side skirt for the bottom of the car, then yes, I agree that you do need the Audi part, as only that will fit.

I wish chap...looked everywhere..including VW forums etc.
The Votex body kit for the A2 was a unique piece of work I believe (someone can correct me of course) and they no longer make it, and you cannot get the parts. I could wait for a pair of side skirts to come up on ebay etc...but these go for £200+ when they do.
Audi are not my best friends when it comes to this particular part....but the car makes up for it :D

if he's interested in making a small run, you will get takers. Work out a price, please, I know there are 3-4 users on the German forum looking for this kind of thing...

Bret

I will ask him Bret, if he does of course the parts would still need some fettling to get to fit properly.
I paid £50 for mine, but he said he did that at very best mates rates....and it took him hours (days as far as I can tell) so possibly around the £75 mark (do not quote me on that)
Will ask him anyway.

Steve

There is another thread on this somewhere - at least another 3 of us are also missing the front left cover in the UK, including me. If he can make covers that are at least a close fit, then he will have a few more interested customers! Hopefully economies of scale might be gained in the production process...let us know what he says, thanks.

I'm one of the above 3 I believe, I too would be intrested to hear what your freind says about making more.

you have another taker! £75 is quite expensive for one cover, please do ask your mate for make a batch. I don't mind minor polishing/filing to make it fit.

you have another taker! £75 is quite expensive for one cover, please do ask your mate for make a batch. I don't mind minor polishing/filing to make it fit.

I thought it was a bit expensive as well....especially as he should have a mould now...I think.

I am seeing him at the weekend so will ask him what he thinks and where the heaviest costs come in.

I am guessing at man hours...he does not work for free...even for me :)

But I (personally) would certainly pay £50 for another...but not £75.

Have you thought about making a glassfibre mould of the exterior of those covers?. Use the original or opposite side cover to make the mould. All you need is various grades of glassfibre, resin, paintbrush, releasing agent and a bit of patience. Youtube has many videos showing you how to make a mould from the original part. I made a two part mould before and that came out very nicely. If I can do it so can you!.

Back