Open sky problem - leaks like a &%¤"#

cahl

After a trip to the car wash at Shell, I noticed that the space above both back doors and above the rear window were soaked.
I contacted my local Audi Dealership, they told me that "the gasket between cover 3 and 4 needed replacing".

Can I fix this myself? If so, where can I get the gasket I need?

And yes Spike, I've searched, but I'm sure you'll find it this time too ;)

Hi cahl

I have not heard of any club members having similar problems with the Open Sky sunroof. The gaskets which seal between each of the glass panels are listed as separate parts and obviously available from your Audi dealer. They are self adhesive but removing the damaged part and sticking on the new one probably requires removal of the glass panels. I think it may be safer to let your dealer do this.

Cheers Spike

If I remember correctly Auto Express Magazine stripped an A2 with 40K on the clock and noted that the Open Sky roof seals had perished. So far I have no problems with my roof with 43K.

Well, Tank is up to 35K and his seals are all tickety-boo, but that could be due to regular silicone lubricant being applied to his rubber bits!

If you don't look after the squidgy parts then they will suffer, but I've no concerns in the general longevity of the seals on the whole.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Well, Tank is up to 35K and his seals are all tickety-boo, but that could be due to regular silicone lubricant being applied to his rubber bits!

If you don't look after the squidgy parts then they will suffer, but I've no concerns in the general longevity of the seals on the whole.

Cheers,

Mike
I've had it for 5000km or so, the other 60.000 wasn't me :(

Ive recently had my leaky sunroof repaired by dealer at aprox 170k & its fine now.Fairly inexpensive repair partswise,main cost was labour. Ill look out the bill to give you some idea of cost.

People keep telling me that sun roofs generally leak when they are in the car wash. And that if I want to use the car wash, I have to adjust the top brush/roller so that it's well above the roof.

Can anyone confirm/deny that the open sky will leak?

It doesn't leak when it rains, snows or anything, but in the car wash ..

Hi in my ancient BMW I occasionally rub vaseline over the sunroof and window rubbers and that cures all the leaks, I don't know whether that will help, it shouldn't damage the rubbers, might be worth a try.

cahl said:
People keep telling me that sun roofs generally leak when they are in the car wash. And that if I want to use the car wash, I have to adjust the top brush/roller so that it's well above the roof.

Can anyone confirm/deny that the open sky will leak?

It doesn't leak when it rains, snows or anything, but in the car wash ..
dont take it in the car wash I had open sky and it never leak but then again it never went through a car wash always did it by hand

Skipton what do you use lubricate the seals as i have an open sky as well any tips would be apprieciated.Cheers.:)

I use a silicone lubricant, actually formulated for underground pipes, but it does the job very well indeed.

You can get it from the guttering and drainage section of B&Q and it comes on a white bottle with a thin nozzle for easy application.

I find it best to do it in warm weather, run a bead along all the rubber parts and then spread with your finger, ensuring everything is covered.

Clean all the seals first as well, otherwise you'll just be mixing up a silicone-based grinding paste!

Cheers,

Mike

Open sky leaks

Not had any probs with the open sky leaking in the 4 years ive had the A2. It did stick quite a lot though half way through opening but was well lubricated by the Audi dealer whilst in for the anti roll bar problem and has been fine since.

Back