Rattle or Resonance at 1500 RPM

wngl

We are discovering a rattle or resonance when our 1.4 SE petrol engine is reving at around 1500RPM which goes away above 2000RPM. The "rattles" occurs whether the car is under load or not (e.g. stationary or moving off, clutch in or out) but dissapears outside the above RPM range.

Maybe it is there all the time and we are just getting use to this car and have just pick up this noise. The "rattle" appears to come from behind the dashboard on the driver side, but could be from the engine bay.

Any suggestion as to what I could do to diagnose this, or how serious this is? I really would like to know if this is engine/drivetrain related or some pipes rattling away.

Does the rattle sound like bits of metal hitting at each other? If it does, then it sounds like an unusual problem I have. There is a missing bolt that secures a dash supporting arm. It is positioned behind the instrument cluster.

watermark.php

The screw is believed be accessible from within the engine bay, but only after removing the wiper motor. Mine has gone completely missing. Which leaves the arm hitting against the mounting at certain situations. I don't think it is a major structural item although it seems to be, but I've had this issue for a long time.

I have the same problem too, but the noise is coming from the passenger side, it happens when the car is turned either to park or back out, it is like a judder coming from under the dashboard?????

I have recently noticed a rattling noise coming from the drivers side. Sounds like coming from behind the dash. Not sure when occurred as usually have the radio on quite loud which may have been disguishing the rattle!

My car is going into Audi on Friday, so may mention this rattle also (just in case).

Does the rattle sound like bits of metal hitting at each other? If it does, then it sounds like an unusual problem I have. There is a missing bolt that secures a dash supporting arm. It is positioned behind the instrument cluster.

Not entirely sure if my rattle sounds like bits of metal hitting together because it is quite muffled. I tried to listen to the engine with the bonnet off, but to be honest I am none the wiser! I think it could be two plastic pipes rubbing together, but I cannot see anything obvious in the engine bay.

I have the same problem too, but the noise is coming from the passenger side, it happens when the car is turned either to park or back out, it is like a judder coming from under the dashboard?????

Oh dear, what a thread I have started?

I had a rattle which turned out to be the bonnet catches needing adjustment (in this case a small piece of cardboard).

Worth checking as it soundsl like someone tapping behind the dash area.

You can try lifting the edges of the bonnet closest to the window and you should hear the noise if it is.

Worth a look.

Gary

I had a rattle which turned out to be the bonnet catches needing adjustment (in this case a small piece of cardboard).

Worth checking as it soundsl like someone tapping behind the dash area.

You can try lifting the edges of the bonnet closest to the window and you should hear the noise if it is.

Worth a look.

Gary

Thanks for this handy tip. Yes mine are loose too, but I don't see how one would go about adjusting it?

Back