Group buy / order: 0.65 / 0.643 5th for TDI

If there is a 90PS owner who wants to sell their cogs, I'll happily do a trade at £110 for both gears as long as the teeth look sharp and chip-free. I'd want to make a firm commitment by this weekend (obviously we’d not know the condition of the gear-set until they’re removed, but I would certainly make a commitment based on reasonable condition).

Mike - If I don't get any takers for the "Cash-for-Cogs" swap by the weekend I'll take the new .681 ratio and discuss getting you to fit them separately.

Cheers

Jeff

Will, I see what you're saying, but the thing to remember is that the 90PS gearset is far more expensive to begin with.

Let me do the 0.622 swap on Tank, I'll get Adrian sorted with the 0.659 and then we'll be in more of a position to take things further and to be able to give real world feedback to other potential cog-swappers.

Also Will, any 90PS owner that goes from 0.700 to 0.681 needs their head examining - there's precious little difference between them. I'd say that 0.659 is the minimum swap, probably 0.622 is best.

Cheers,

Mike

I see little benefit in the 0.681 cogs for anyone. If you have a 75 then swap with a 90 gearset and save money and as Mike says if you have a 90 it simply isn't worth the hassle when you look at Mikes graph.

Phil, I think it depends on how you use the car. With the hills we have around here I don't want to end up with a 4speed + overdrive box! For motorway work and looking at the graph from Mike i am sure 0.622 will be ok.

This might be a deal breaker for some, but I've just been doing more research and it seems for the tallest 2 ratios (0.622 and 0.659) there are 2 additional parts needed, which add another £2.50 to the costs!!!

It's the dished washers that secure the 2 cogs and the originals are too big after the swap and would foul in the teeth.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks again Mike for all your work on this. If Robin hasn't beaten me to it i'll guinea pig the 0.659 gearset. I will probably supply own oil, investigating that separately.
As I said in my PM, thanks for being the guinea pig and I look forward to hearing about the results. It will also be interesting to know a bit more about the benefits of the oil you are putting in. Anything that can cut drag whilst still offering good protection can only help MPG. Does anyone know what they currently use in the box of the Bluemotion and the Seat Ecomotive?

There is the possibility of another part being needed, this is the needle roller bearing that holds the synchro gear. It's necessary to heat up the gear to remove it from the shaft and as the cage fro the bearing is made from nylon, this could get damaged.

I'll get one in anyway so that I'm prepared for when I do mine, but from what I read, it's not always needed.

I'll also get new circlips and retaining dogs too, just so that if they're needed, they're there, but I'm not anticipating them being used.

Cheers

Mike

..... you think i'm joking.....:eek: on Sundays we add some onion, tomato and paprika...

Paprika - you can tell you're middle class!

We make do with a bit of black pepper if we're lucky! Oh, and the tomatoes are only used if Netto have their 9p tins in!!!

Cheers,

Mike

May have to have a word with the powers at be at work to see if i can get these, but the way things at work are at the mo i doubt they will say yes more like NO, but if i can save a bit its worth asking

Phil

Give it a try Phil by all means, but all the parts are VW commercial and can only be got from VW trade departments - even VW dealers get 'Brand Inhibit' errors when they try to order them.

Cheers

Mike

Well, got my 0.622 gearset today:

Gears01.jpg

So, this afternoon, got to work (after buying a T60 torx bit for £8.09 from Helfrauds!!) and after the preliminaries, opened up the gearbox end case to get to the meat of the change:

Gears02.jpg

You can see the gears pretty clearly there and also, that the manual is wrong - the bolts holding the gears in situ are not Torx, but splines and I didn't have one big enough!!

So, end cap back on, refill with oil and re-assemble. Defeated, but I'll be back!!

Ideally, as I've a trip to London on Monday, I wanted to get the cog swap done so that I could report back in the economy findings, but it's not to be I'm afraid.

It's not the first time I've found discrepancies with the manual either.

Cheers,

Mike

Back