Erratic Indicator Clicking Noise.

lynnlynn

When the cars engine is on, being used.... Erratic Indicator Clicking noise can be heard.... Even though indicators not been used.
When this occurs there are no indicator lights flashing on the dash, or outside the car.
This can happen any time when the car is running.
Sometimes indicator frequency increase's to double the normal speed of indicators....
As you may appreciate this is a pain...
Anybody any ideas for fix... plus approx cost UK£...??
Feedback appreciated.
Thanks

You may have a faulty indicator relay they run at about £25 and take about 15 mins to fit if you have the single din dash, do a search on here and you will find a thread for changing it, if you can get to anyone with vag-com they should be able to do a diagnostics to tell you if its regestered a fault
To find someone with a vag-com close to you go on the maps at the top of the forum home page you will find them on there

Hope this helps Phil

However, check your bulbs too, as faster rate clicking can be indicative of a blown bulb.

Cheers,

Mike

We've had similar things happen twice.

First time was fixed by changing the indicator relay, it would provide extra clicks, or not work at all, but only when the stalk had been used.

Second time was the indicator stalk itself. Audi reckoned it wasn't making a good enough ground. On this occasion it would click all by itself (no actual lights going on). Seemed to get worse in wet weather.

Dave

Hi Dave S

Do you have any more info on the second problem re: the indicator stalk? My indicator relay has been making the clicking noise at random points, and at the weekend the indicators stopped working at all, which was alarming.

I replaced the relay unit this morning and although the indicators seem to be working again, the clicking noise has not disappeared.

How delicate are the relays I wonder? I jammed the electrical connector in hard enough to pop off the cap on the end of the relay unit. Perhaps I've just gone and broken a new relay unit??

We had the same issue and we had to change the indicator stalk and its all fixed, contact Mike (skipton01) who might still have some left over from all the CC he has done.

Spooky.. :)
mine's just started doing this too.. random intermittent clicking all on it's own without any lights flashing, but all is normal when actually indicating.. Reading here.. I think I'll go for the relay first.. 'cos that sounds the easier option!

Dan

Thanks Shezlee, I had a look at other threads and a spray of WD40 at the base of the stalk, whilst wiggling it vigorously, worked a treat. No more clicking.

This forum is awesome :)

green bean - try spraying WD40 on the stalk before replacing the relay - replacing the relay is easy enough but spraying WD40 on the contacts is even easier!

like to thank op for thread and everyone else for helping , been having this issue in my car for 2 weeks now & thought it was relay . But that WD40 did the trick no noise at all and saved me messing with relay. Many thanks again..

Back