Drum removal

zoddas

Need a tip on how to remove the drum to inspect the internals of my rear brake. Is it just that bolt in the front and brute force or ???

Unscrew the one screw in front of drum, release the handbrake (obviously secure vehicle from rolling beforehand) pull at drum, it should come away pretty easily, if not lightly tap it on the front not the sides, this is to avoid warping the drums.

If your doing this on your driveway, then put something like cardboard sheet under it as a lot of fine dirt and dust will emerge, and can stain the driveway. Also be prepared to clean it all up anyway while you have it open.

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Try levering it towards you by putting a big flat bladed screwdriver in the gap while banging on the front of the drum. DO this evenly all the way round and it will gradually start to come away

A2 drums

Just completed the rear drums today on my wife's A2 1.4TDi. I had checked them at the last service, so knew that they would have to be done next time around.

Must admit - I hate drum brakes. Too many springs for my liking!:eek:

To remove the drums, put the car in gear, release the handbrake and chock the front wheels. Release the wheel bolts partially, then raise the car. Use a axle stand under the rear axle for additional safety. With the wheel off - remove the grub screw on the brake drum. Take your time. Shear the head on it - and you'll have to drill it out.

On the handbrake itself, remove the plastic holder on the centre console (rear passenger area) and release the handbrake cable slightly by undoing the 10mm nut. Don't remove it completely.

Put the wheel back on (2 bolts are enough). Using a rubber mallet, hit the inside of the rear wheel at regular intervals and rotate the wheel at the same time. I had to do this - as the drum had a slight lip on it. You should now be able to hold the wheel at a quarter-to-three position and rock from side to side to remove. Remove the wheel bolts from the drum once it's removed.

As I was completing a complete brake rebuild, I chose to remove the hub and bearing to regrease. To do this, undo the hub nut (30mm).

When the new drum brakes have been fitted, put the drum on by hand. It shouldn't need to be hammered.

Final adjustment is made on the handbrake itself. Screw the adjuster screw back to roughly the position it was in before. Now apply the handbrake several times by ratcheting it to self-adjust. On one click the drum brakes should be making contact with the drum. Adjust as necessary.

Back