1.4tdi clutch/gearbox grinding noise

Hi right I know I do not have an A2 but I have recently brought an 02 vw lupo TDi. When I brought the car I was told there was a problem with the thrust bearing in the clutch, so before I brought the car I got a quote on having it fitted at a local garage of £180 labour which was not that bad.
Anyway I went and viewed the car and the chap let me listen to the noise of the thrust breaing, from what I had read it sounded just like (Grinding sound when in neut and the clutch it up). I liked the look of the car so i brought it. Had the garage check the sound and they told me it could be the gear box, as i was already having trouble getting in to 3rd from 4th I had the gearbox reconditioned.

Cost me £500 (as they let me pay cash) and I still have this noise. New bearing in and didn't need a new clutch as it only had one fitted about 2000 miles ago.

The noise only happens when the clutch is up and the car is in neutral, when I rev it above about 1100-1300 the noise goes. When the car is warm it has trouble shifting down to the lower gears also.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks Ben.

You should be looking at your legal options. Worth speaking to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. Once you're clear on your rights, go back and complain.

Firstly, if you bought it from a dealer, you should be able to seek legal redress, as they misrepresented the fault*.

Secondly, the "reconditioned" 'box isn't of merchantable quality, so you should get the supplier to rectify. The fact that you paid cash is irrelevant.

*If you'd asked here before buying, one or two of us would have told you that it's not the clutch thrust bearing if it's making a noise with the clutch engaged (up). If it goes away when you press the clutch it's somewhere in the gearbox - much more expensive. The thrust bearing only works when you press the pedal, so that's when a worn/seized one makes a noise.

Last edited:
Almost certainly gearbox bearings, the noise is there when you drive too ..........................................you just can't hear it.

The noise is not heard when I'm driving but I think I can slightly hear it when I slow down to or below 1000 rpm. If they reconditioned my gear box then wouldn't they have checked the bearings?

hi right i have been to another garage and they seem to think it the input shaft bearing. I have been on the phone to the garage who fitted the box and thrust bearing and they are willing to take the box off check the clutch and fly wheel area, if they are happy with it they will send the box back off to be checked.
The chap tried to fob me off by telling me the car had a dual mass flywheel which was making the noise, so I rang vw up and they told me it didn't so the problem lies in the box.
I will post back when I have found out what it is for anyone that has this problem in the future.
cheers Ben

Hi well I have had the noise slightly resolved. It needed a new clutch as the centre hole which goes onto the shaft was wobbly. It cost me another 300 quid and I still have a noise, no where near as loud but still a slight grinding sound when in I'm in neutral with the clutch up. I have also noticed when I press the clutch to change up a gear it feels like a grinding under my foot just before the clutch engages it's only a little rumble with no noise, not sure whether it is because it's new but it doesn't feel healthy.

Ah, the TDI 90........................................

Potential dual mass issue there then..........................

Back