cam-belt change

I believe my 04 TDi is due a cam belt and I understand that this could cost around £350 without the water pump.
Has anyone done this themselves or are special tools/expertise required?
I have done it on other cars but don't want to start something I can't finish. Cheers

I would shop around on the price, I had mine done last summer at a VW dealers including water pump for @ £325 incl VAT.

had my TDI replaced several weeks ago by BVR Automotive, he is from the Staffs area and does travel. £220 inc vat for cambelt kit and waterpump all Audi parts. google him for contact details. Highly recommended.

I recently had the A2 serviced at my local VW dealer... they quoted £220 for the cambelt, which I thought was good price.
May be worth you checking your VW dealer... or come up North for the Day ;-)

PS it was Hayselden in Doncaster.

bba

cambelt change

hi,

had my cambelt done last year, shopped around and prices range from the highs of £650 and got it done for £165. Before you say, whats the catch or have i had a problem................NO, got it done at autocentre, they guaranteed the work and i have had no problem.

Very good service, and have been back for service and mot, it is also quite handy as they take tesco vouchers for service and mot.

I have not read all your replys, but make sure they check your water pump as the belt has to be taken off it to do the cam belt.

Hope this helps.

andrew007007.

I recently had the A2 serviced at my local VW dealer... they quoted £220 for the cambelt, which I thought was good price.
May be worth you checking your VW dealer... or come up North for the Day ;-)

PS it was Hayselden in Doncaster.

bba

i rang my local VW Dealer in blackpool and was quoted £290 for cambelt (£350 with water pump) and when i said a 'colleague' had paid £220 to another vw dealer they said they might be able to come down a little bit. I left it at that as i am not getting it done for 10-14 days so i will haggle again when i am in a position to commit to the work.

had my cambelt done last year, shopped around and prices range from the highs of £650 and got it done for £165.

Thats an awesome price! Including tensioners, I think the belt kit is around £110 so their labour and sundries charges are very cheap. I assume you didnt have the water pump changed?

Ada's is being done this year and I'm expecting it to be about £300, still happy to pay that so your £165 is brilliant. Please share details of the garage if you are happy with their work so members in your area may benefit :D

Edit: Is 'Autocentre' a franchise, I'm not familiar?

I'll be checking out part prices later today, and I think the three-four hours work will result in a total bill of €180 for parts and another €150 for fitting. That's including the waterpump.

The parts guy is going to love me... FSDs, water pump, all the suspension ancilliaries, 5l of oil, all three filters...big package :D

Bret

Back