OpenSky not opening fully anymore

Johann

Over the weekend I opened my sunroof and it made a big crack noise and then opened up. BUT it now does not open all the way and stops about 100mm further forward than normal. When you press close the motor whirrs for a bit without the sunroof moving (roughly about the same amount of whirring as it would have taken to open it fully). Also when you open it now it whirrs a bit (with no movement) and only then starts to move back.

Is there a toothed belt that works this? Has this belt lost some of its teeth? Any ideas? Can you just replace this belt or is it a whole motor to be replaced?

Hi Johann,
I have exactly the same problem. It happened some months ago, and I have to admit that since the beginning of last winter, I didn't dare opening my OpenSky anymore :(
I'll have to look a it at some time, but now other things have a higher priority.
Howewer that's not *so* important to me, since from the beginning I wanted an OpenSky roof much more for the "Sky" part than for the "Open" part :)

If you try to fix it, please report here what you find...
Of course I'll do the same.
Cheers,
Fabrice

Opensky

Hey guy's, if you can get to open the roof so the first panel of glass has started to go back you can check the sides to see if there are any little black screw's missing from the side which keep the glass in place. I think there is one on each side, as it lifts up and comes back just see if the screw's have been lodged in the guttering of the roof.
Funny enough i found one of my screw's in the little vented section of where my opensky motor is, at first i was going to throw it away but kept in my ashtray. It only became apparent when the sun came out for a while last month and i opened the roof and every time i went over a bump the glass would rattle like it was going to break, so i put the screw back in and haven't has a problem since. Works Perfect.

I noticed today there are two similar parts broken in my open sky. On the other side the corner of this part has completely fallen off so that metal inside the plastic wing can be seen. On the other side the plastic part is broken similarly but the corner is still hanging on its position, as can be seen in the picture.

Have some of you noticed similar broken parts? To me it seems this could be a common problem with similar windows. In the moment my open sky works OK.

...my open sky has always made a popping sound when opening at the 2nd panel, like the seal from the 2nd panel breaking before it goes up...

ours did that and bearing in mind the open sky is a bit fragile, I put a smear of silicone grease on the second seal every now and then, this stops the pop of the second panel coming into play and reduces stress on the mechanism.

I always coveted Opensky - but despite Ada sounding like a baked bean can in the rain - there are advantages to a hard top!! :eek::D:eek:

great bdub, I might give that a go! ...although for me the openess and lightness it creates in the cabin from the opensky means more to me than having the thing open! :rolleyes:

I looked and can't see any missing screws...

So no one on here knows what the belt looks like that drives the roof? As per my original post the motor can be heard working in either direction but nothing is moving... and then it starts to move.

Back