Spit 'n' polish

Darren C

Admin Team
Well I am pleased to add my name to the ever increasing list of clay bar and polishing fanatics that frequent the world of a2oc.

A thorough wash was closely followed by the application of Bilt Hamber Auto Clay bar last night which was enough to leave the bodywork clean, fresh and ever so smooth. Gone was the environmental contaminants, returning the bodywork to an almost "factory" finish. This was my first experience with a clay bar and it won't be my last based upon the results achieved during this sitting. Whilst my bodywork is regularly cleaned, (there goes my OCD plug again), there was still the inevitable build up of traffic film and environmental dust and dirt present in the paintwork. I am remarkably impressed at how smooth the application of the bar left the vehicle and just how much rubbish it removed. Recommended without a doubt.

Today has seen the application of Autoglym products lavished on the A2. Super Resin Polish, Extra Gloss Protection polish and Bumper Care have left the car looking and feeling great - IMHO.

Pleased with the results and more importantly the protection afforded.

Darren

2009_0625gardenanda20026.jpg

2009_0625gardenanda20027.jpg

2009_0625gardenanda20030.jpg

frontandsideview.jpg

NICE Darren! trouble is if I made my car as shiny, then it would attract the wrong crowd, they tend to be so kind as to add their 'tag' by kindly scratching the paintwork, or other damage for me.

My Mercedes had just been resprayed at an out of pocket £800 and I parked it all gleaming and shiny at a Dental Hospital where my little son was being operated on, After a bad experience with sons operation, I came out and saw the car had been badly keyed, all down the freshly painted side. left me teething with anger, a very bad day that. :mad:

SO, I won't be in the running for the best title with you guys, nor do I really have the experience on this :p

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Darren nice job:)
What is clay bar?
never heard of it but the results look excellent:)
regards
Dave

Hey Darren nice job:)
What is clay bar?
never heard of it but the results look excellent:)
regards
Dave
Its as is, a bar of clay that when you use to wash your car with or after depending on how you want to do it, its as Darren's post top of the page removes contam from your paint. When you next wash your car after its all dry run your hand over the paint you maybe able to feel little bits on the paint, well after using this stuff its like glass, so smooth you wouldn't believe it, its not a new thing i've been using it for over 12yrs now, never be without it

Cheers Phil

Wonderful results ! Well done! And you, Reeper.

Does the clay bar remove the remains of dead flies that the sponge won't rub off? Or is it tat I am too lazy?

Al

Clay bar is really good for removing the remainder of road kill, but Id try and wash most of the solid bits off first! I'm using soft Bilt Hamber clay on stubborn marks when I wash the A3 now as the white shows up every wee speck. No complaining right enough! :D

Last edited:
Wonderful results ! Well done! And you, Reeper.

Does the clay bar remove the remains of dead flies that the sponge won't rub off? Or is it tat I am too lazy?

Al

Yes it will but you need a fine clay for that (well you don't but its less abrassive)

Phil

Thanks for the kind comments chaps - most appreciated; not an easy task to live up to the workmanship skills of our bodywork guru Mr Reeper, I can tell you.

Sarge, that really is a disgraceful act that befell you; I'm really sorry to hear your story. There are so many unsociable types around these days that take great delight in ruining things for other people. I know what I would do with people like that. Hope the Merc looks as good as new and remains so for years to come.

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks Darren, But I have lost heart in getting the Merc back up to A1 condition, the poor thing is sat on the drive as it is.

Maybe you experts my be able to shed light on how to repair this without 'another' respray.

I have had it 'DA'ed' but the scratches are too deep the guy told me. I was wondering if there is anything that can be applied to fill in the scratches and for it to match into the paint.

I'll see if I can take a few pic's tomorrow to show you if that's ok.

Cheers

SARGE

Sarge, i take it its the silver one in your avatar?, then no silver is one of the worst colours to touch up without it look a TW** i've got a couple of small one's on mine (scratches) and no good

Sorry Phil

Thanks Darren, But I have lost heart in getting the Merc back up to A1 condition, the poor thing is sat on the drive as it is.

Maybe you experts my be able to shed light on how to repair this without 'another' respray.

I have had it 'DA'ed' but the scratches are too deep the guy told me. I was wondering if there is anything that can be applied to fill in the scratches and for it to match into the paint.

I'll see if I can take a few pic's tomorrow to show you if that's ok.

Cheers

SARGE

Post some pictures by all means Sarge and those in the know will try to assist; myself included.

If it is a "deep" scratch then no amount amount of restoration polish will remove it completely; though it might still lessen the "sharpness" and visual impact. http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=GI&Range=1 - recommended.

Depending upon your vehicle colour, "Colourmagic" polish used to do a kit that came complete with a coloured wax stick if memory serves me right. You applied the wax, (like a lipstick) and after several coats it built up to fill in the scratch. You then applied the polish to finish the job off. Might be worth a punt assuming they do a colour match.

Hopefully there will be a cheaper solution than the respray mate; lets see some photos first.

Darren

Sarge, i take it its the silver one in your avatar?, then no silver is one of the worst colours to touch up without it look a TW** i've got a couple of small one's on mine (scratches) and no good

Sorry Phil

Yes Phil, it is Mercedes Brilliant Silver :(

Never mind, I could be worse I suppose. :p

SARGE

Thanks Darren, The very first thing I tried was the Colourmagic, it seemed to 'highlight' the scratches even more as far as I can recall (it's been about 2.5 years at least, like I say I lost heart in it after fully restoring it).

These are BEFORE pictures:

Will try to get pics of scratches tomorrow

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic result Darren you could eat your dinner of that spoiler
would u like to come around and give me lessons
on how to use the claybar LOL !!!!

Great Job mate !!!

Fantastic result Darren you could eat your dinner of that spoiler
would u like to come around and give me lessons
on how to use the claybar LOL !!!!

Great Job mate !!!

Thanks mate. More than happy to assist; more hands make for light work. I would only ask for some liquid refreshment to keep me going; preferably the alcoholic kind you understand... ;)

Hope life has picked up for you buddy and everyone is in good health?!

Regards,

Darren

Cheers Darren
have seen a detailing kit on flee-bay £29 was thinking of buying the wife it as starter kit LOL.
Never seemed to get the right results when i tried doing cars but have secret weapon old lady over road never seen a car so well cleaned engine bay in boot everything in about two-three hours:)
Going to be taking lessons very soon my A2 demands it:):)

Elite car care will do you the bilt hamber clay for a tenner a box and decent wax (in this case Collinite 476s) for not much more. Get the Colly "kit", a microfibre mitt - the ones with the "rasta dreads" from the pound store and a couple of buckets.

Wash with one bucket, rinse with the other; spray and brush your alloys / shuts with diluted "all purpose cleaner" (APC) @ 10:1 before you start and you'll have the whole thing done in half an hour or so.

I know, because I did SWMBOs 307SW in that time night before last. I have a second mitt for wheels ONLY.

Routine:
- get the water sorted. I use four buckets: 1 wash, 1 rinse, 2 to rinse the suds.
- add your shampoo to the wash bucket only
- get your APC out. Spray the wheels and the really bad insects on the front. Spray the birdpoo. Let it sit for a minute or two, get the (clean) paintbrush out and spread it around, let it meet new dirt. If there's lots of bird droppings, rinse this lot off before you start washing.
- if the car's really dirty, pre-soak / rinse first with the hose or a couple of litres of water
- start from the top. Mitt into wash water, wash car, rinse the mitt (rub it on your other hand in the water) in the rinse bucket. Don't dump it straight back into the wash, as the junk will stay there.
- repeat until done
- now go "urgh" at the black water in the rinse bucket and "wow" at the clean water in the wash bucket
- Rinse, from the top. I like to use a 5l watering can.... gives me enough control.
- If you're going to clay it with the Bilt Hamber stuff, DON'T DRY IT! No point, it uses water as lubricant.
- Get a small piece of clay, grape-size - and massage it with your fingers. Wet fingers help :) Water sprayer / half a pint of water in a bowl should be enough.
- run it, under your fingers, over the paint. don't press, just run it over. If you feel grit, it's not done yet; do the whole car, piece by piece, panel by panel. Need more water? apply. Try not to get grit underneath the clay, it will be moved around and scratch.
- check the clay regularly. When it's moved from beige towards brown / black, squash and re-form so the surrface in contact with the paint is beige again. Carry on.
Don't do this in direct sunlight.

When you've clayed it, I'd personally want to wash again before applying either a sealant (like AutoGlym EGP) or wax (like Colly 476s) or both. Follow the instructions on the wax! More than one layer of either of the above products needs 24h between applications.
If you're going to use AG's Bumpercare, I'd suggest a damp cloth and using it sparingly. 2 coats of colly will survive six months of Finnish winter; as long as you don't overdo the washing, three times a year should be fine. Don't clay if you don't have to! I found after I did the 307 the first time, there was pretty much nothing on the clay second time around (5 months later) - this is fine, there's now one layer of wax on for the summer.

Think that should cover it....

Bret

Last edited:
Back