Audi Connectors - How to Release

Skipton01

Admin Team
It's amazing how many ruined connectors I come across, from people not knowing the correct way to release them.

The photos below show the process in 2 easy stages and they show a headlamp connector, although the same process applies to many of the connectors on your A2:

Picture032.jpg~original.jpg

Picture034.jpg~original.jpg

After this, just pull the connector out from its mating counterpart and that's all there is to it!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
In my 10 years of owning Audis I've never yet been able to open one of those connectors without totally destroying it first; they are the Devil's own. Thanks for this, I'll try it next time!

We come across this all the time at work when our normal de-trimmer's on holiday, some people just have got no patience, we find all manner of stuff broken which comes out of the company's pocket, which in turn comes out of ours.

Great stuff Mike maybe this will help with the problem

Phil

Injector Wiring harness - on front right of the rocker
Pull red plastic peg out then twist

Last edited:
I'm usually releasing them with my fingers. Just before pressing the lock I push the connector in, then press the lock ant pull it easily off.

It's amazing how many ruined connectors I come across, from people not knowing the correct way to release them.

The photos below show the process in 2 easy stages and they show a headlamp connector, although the same process applies to many of the connectors on your A2:

Picture032.jpg

Picture034.jpg

After this, just pull the connector out from its mating counterpart and that's all there is to it!

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Mike,

is there any chance you can add those 2 photos showing how to release that headlamp connectors? The photos are not active in the thread any more...

Alternatively, may be just describe those 2 steps?

Many thanks indeed!

Will do. Hang on a sec.

They are indeed!!! Thank you so much! Have to replace a parking light and remember that my friend, a professional driver, fitted an H7 bulb a couple of years ago. He was absolutely desperate and it took him 40 minutes or so. Thus, I decided to remove a cluster to make it easier.

Thank you once again!

You don't really need to undo the main wiring to the light housing you know, to access the bulbs. There's enough slack when you've undone the 2 x T30 bolts to slide the headlights out far enough to get the back cover off properly (and make sure it goes back on correctly too).

I know how it should be done but still struggle to release 'tight' connectors where the combination of pulling and clicking the lock tab at the same time has me beaten, so -
Anyone tried one of these tools - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric...h=item4688994123:g:BIYAAOSw2opb1-22:rk:2:pf:0
This is the Chinese copy but there is a version made by Laser (probably in China) for a tenner or so

Cheers Spike

PS. just read the 'knack' to using this tool is to push down on the connector first, then insert the tool so the locking tab can be easily released before pulling up

I know how it should be done but still struggle to release 'tight' connectors where the combination of pulling and clicking the lock tab at the same time has me beaten, so -
Anyone tried one of these tools - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric...h=item4688994123:g:BIYAAOSw2opb1-22:rk:2:pf:0
This is the Chinese copy but there is a version made by Laser (probably in China) for a tenner or so

Cheers Spike

PS. just read the 'knack' to using this tool is to push down on the connector first, then insert the tool so the locking tab can be easily released before pulling up

I’m thick. How does that work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite the same design but this youtube video shows how the tool is used (about 6 min in)

Cheers Spike

Back