help - paint match for alloy wheels

ProfDMW

Hi Guys,

Quick bit of advice - just did the dread kerb 'touch' with my 17" sport wheels whilst trying to squeeze round a car in the multi-story car park. The lightest of touches, but enough to scrape the wheel.

As a quick fix, until I can get the wheel professionally refurbished (again) - I was considering just rubbing down the rough area, and applying a bit of touch up paint. What colour silver gets the closest match though? Any ideas?

Regards,

Darren

Depending on the wheel are they sports or se wheels?

If se wheels prob a course silver areosol

If sport wheel's they have a different finish i don't think you can get a touch up for those

Sorry If this doesn't help

As you have highlighted yourself, the only real answer is a refurbishment. For a first aid cosmetic repair, there are alloy wheel touch up kits on ebay for about £12. I have tried this and its OK if you take your time and rub the roughened edges down properly then build up thin layers of paint then lacquer. Certainly improves the look and the colour match is fine.

Thanks for swift reply guys - think I'll do a quick e-bay search & do a 1st aid repair. Then book the wheel in for a professional refurb.

At this rate I'll be putting my old SE alloys back on - can't bear to keep 'brushing' kerbs with these sport alloys!

OEM grey/titanium alloy paint code

After much searching I have finally found the code for the paint on the wheels of my A3 black edition. Audi were no help, and after much googling the TT owners club came up trumps. :D

If anyone fancies a refurb in this colour for their A2, the code is L8AU - Granit Mat

Great looking wheel colour IMHO but stonechips stand out like a sore thumb. Touch up paint from 'paints4u.com' is a perfect match.

Here's the colour if anyone's unfamiliar

Last edited:
They do stand out on yours M, but on other colours they just blend in and you lose the effect, we get them in at work and on the TT they have started doing the black edition but when the cars allready black it just does look as effective as it does on yours

Phil

I'm struggling with the paint match for some 16" TT 7 spoke wheels.

I have read all the posts, been to the local paint mixer, studied etka, had a bit of help from spike, and no help from the dealer.

I know the wheels are classed as Avus Silver. However so are the 17" sport wheels and so are the 16" SE wheels. Yet all have different part numbers for the respective Avus spray paint.

The dealer said the paint will not match! Even though it says it's for my wheels.

3 of my wheels are pretty much perfect, the 4th has is very good, but has had a chips away type refurb, where they have just painted part of the rim, and the colour is not right! I don't want to get all the wheels painted as it would be a shame to paint 3 wheels that are factory finished and not damaged.

Is the dealer wrong?

The local paint shop, said they can match the colour, but I guess the result will be slightly out, but possibly the best bet!

Even if I were to get it painted professionally, I think the colour match would be a problem, if they don't have the right code.

Nick

I'm struggling with the paint match for some 16" TT 7 spoke wheels.

I have read all the posts, been to the local paint mixer, studied etka, had a bit of help from spike, and no help from the dealer.

I know the wheels are classed as Avus Silver. However so are the 17" sport wheels and so are the 16" SE wheels. Yet all have different part numbers for the respective Avus spray paint.

The dealer said the paint will not match! Even though it says it's for my wheels.

3 of my wheels are pretty much perfect, the 4th has is very good, but has had a chips away type refurb, where they have just painted part of the rim, and the colour is not right! I don't want to get all the wheels painted as it would be a shame to paint 3 wheels that are factory finished and not damaged.

Is the dealer wrong?

The local paint shop, said they can match the colour, but I guess the result will be slightly out, but possibly the best bet!

Even if I were to get it painted professionally, I think the colour match would be a problem, if they don't have the right code.

Nick

Like respraying a car single panel with metallic paint, i guess it will never be an exact match unless it came from the same batch of paint. Phil will probably say something much clever than me! However if it is matched close enough and the wheels are not placed right next to each other, you shouldn't notice any difference unless you deliberately take photos of them and compare.

Hi Nick
The part number you quoted me in your PM was for the complete wheel. The paint colour is denoted by the Z17 suffix on the part no.
SnubNose provided the Audi paint ref in this post - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=29224&postcount=8
As there appears to be a different code for Avus silver body colour its possible paint mixing shops won't recognise the wheel colour.

Cheers Spike

I think I will go back to the dealer, and order the spray that he said would not be right.

I will let you know how I get on.

Nick

The thing with paint is you could get the same code for your wheels but the painter painting them could put it on different to the robot that painted it originaly and it wouldn't match, we have painters at work that do spray outs for new colours, one painter will get it bag on and they'll say right thats the colour and shade to use on that car but it could be another painter that will paint the car and it will look black and white, its all down to how its applied if you put it on to wet or to dry it will come out a different shade, don't forget there's the ageing affect as well (your wheels have been sun bleached) so all new paint will look different and just to top it all silver is the hardest paint to match.

So i would just try to get the closest match and go for that

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the info Phil.

I thought if I could get the right paint I would have at least half a chance. I knew that silver was hard to match, but the repair job is miles out on shade. A shame really as the finish quality of the repair is very good.

Maybe as you say they have the right colour but just applied it wrong. But looking at the difference I think they got the wrong colour.

I will try a take a pic in the daylight and post it if I get chance.

Nick

Back