Has anyone blanked their EGR

bdub

Hi All,
I have had the EGR blanked for about 5K miles on my A4 1.9TDI, PD115bhp, the result being quicker pickup, better MPG and best of all a cleaner burn so no nasty clogging soot all over the turbo vanes which at 165000 miles had become a problem. The oil in the engine also stays much, and visibly cleaner, and there is no black smoke out of the exhaust when you blast off in it.

The only downside is apparently a hotter burn in the cylinders, which i guess in a diesel is not too bad.....and of course a bit more NOx.

I am wondering about blanking the EGR on the wifes 1.6Fsi to eliminate the future potential of manifold coking problem re occuring and generally clean things up.

I have no experience of blanking on petrol engines, would it throw fault codes? mine doesn't but then it is an old vacuum actuated version,

any one got any comments on possible detrimental effects?

cheers

Can I do this on my 1.4 TDI ? Would it improve matters along the lines of your findings? Anyone tried this on a TDI A2 let alone a petrol?

sorry but my A2 is a petrol and any photos would be of my A4 so prob not much use. I am sure some helpful soul will obilge?????

cheers

Which pipe do I need to block? What does this do? Stop the EGR valve from opening or something?

Thanks,

It's a small vacuum pipe that fits onto the back of the EGR valve.. essentially, the EGR opens when a vacuum is applied - remove the pipe and your engine won't be sucking on dirty air :)

Ref the schematic diagm enclosed, as Driveforward indicated, its just a case of removing the hose from the EGR valve (item14) capping off the connection of the valve and blanking off the hose (I used a tight fitting bolt) There are no warning lamps or fault codes but I found no improvements in economy or performance.
I'll try and get a photo next time the bonnet is off but its tucked away down the back of the engine so will be difficult to capture anything meaningful

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike.

This is going to sound a bit silly maybe, but isn't it easier to leave the vacuum pipe fitted to the EGR valve and remove it at the solenoid end and then blank the pipe and the solenoid itself rather than working down in the depths of the engine bay?

Also would it be possible to construct a dummy load (resistor) on an old connector to simulate the windings of the solenoid, so you could just unplug the real solenoid, rendering the whole EGR system inoperative but still keeping all the vacuum pipes connected and an electrical load connected to fool the ECU?

A bit strange how some people notice "big" differences in economy and responsiveness and others seem to notice no difference at all with this mod. :confused:

I think the best benefit is a cleaner burn which doen't soot up the oil and turbo, although not sure if the A2 has a VNT turbo. Back to my original question is it ok to do this on the FSi petrol engine because coking up intakes are a real problem?

Does n't sound like any one has?

cheers all.

EGR valve - Hose removal on AMF TDi engine

The pics show (1) the (shiny) EGR valve diaphragm unit with the hose removed and the connection blanked off to prevent dirt ingress. (2) The vacuum hose with braided fabric outer cover blanked off with a tight fitting philips head bolt.
The valve is directly under the central fresh air intake duct, just above the back edge of the rocker cover.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Thanks Spike.

This is going to sound a bit silly maybe, but isn't it easier to leave the vacuum pipe fitted to the EGR valve and remove it at the solenoid end and then blank the pipe and the solenoid itself rather than working down in the depths of the engine bay?

Also would it be possible to construct a dummy load (resistor) on an old connector to simulate the windings of the solenoid, so you could just unplug the real solenoid, rendering the whole EGR system inoperative but still keeping all the vacuum pipes connected and an electrical load connected to fool the ECU?

A bit strange how some people notice "big" differences in economy and responsiveness and others seem to notice no difference at all with this mod. :confused:

Hi Lee
The layout of the valves and vacuum pipes in the engine bay is a bit more complex than depicted in the schematic. Your theory sounds fine so if you can work out a more practical way to immobilise the EGR system then I'm sure many people will be interested.

Cheers Spike

I would mostly try this mod regarding the "mooing" noise, which as far as I can remember seems to be related to the valve sucking air.

sorry to drag this up from the past.. but can i do this mod of blocking the the pipe off on an ATL engine?

As an aside, and following the recent discussion about diesel A2s in cities. Certain models of A2 e.g. 1.4 TDI 90bhp are classified EU4, and from reading an old Audi article, the EGR valve is critical to that classification.

When someone does a de-cat or blanks the EGR valve, will / should that car fail the subsequent MoT because the exhaust gasses do not conform to type?

Back