Electronic problems and power steering failure

Ally

My wife's car [2002 tdi75] (we have 'his and hers' A2s) has been playing up recently - sometimes the power steering warning light comes on and power-assistance is lost, making the car rather hard to drive (especially on mini-roundabouts!). If she pulls over and restarts the engine, power steering returns immediately. Other symptoms include red alternator warning light on dash (red battery symbol); radio losing power for a second or so; and the doors locking/unlocking when power steering fails.

These issues started after she discovered that the front main interior light had been left on when garaged for approx 2 weeks (the light was red hot, too hot to touch). Not yet sure if this is the cause, but car was fine previously.

Rang Audi Preston who wanted £80 just to connect to the diagnostic computer, but as car was due a service, we took advantage of the £199 service which would include a diagnostic check.

Audi returned the car reporting nothing logged on the diagnostics and no physical problems. They advised a new battery, quoted £235 fitted (identical item purchased and fitted for £80 at local indie parts shop). All symptoms still present with new battery. Audi explained that perhaps the battery was so weak it was unable to store info on it's self diagnostics - that's why it didn't record the power steering warning :)rolleyes: sigh. . . ).

Checked all fuses in front of driver's knee area. DIS is not reporting battery voltage problems and alternator has tested fine.

So, reluctant to return to Audi, not that technical minded, and unsure where to go next. Any help much appreciated,

I've had power steering failure on my A2 and at no time were there any faults showing, even when the steering was duff!

It was eventually traced down to a faulty wiring loom that was rubbing on the bulkhead and had caused a small fire, melting several wires and taking the ambient temperature sensor, nearside fog and several other systems with it.

If you can get down to me in Manchester, I'll certainly see what I can do to help and my rates are a lot more favourable than your typical dealer!

Cheers,

Mike

PS You have removed the nearside headlamp and checked the fluid level?

Not sure how DIS detects battery voltage problems (I don't have DIS), does it detect it while the electrics are turned on but not the engine? Anyhow, I would take a multimeter voltage reading across the battery terminals after the engine has been stopped. Close to 11V is not a good sign. Did you also go out for a long steady drive after installing the new battery, just to charge it up?

Mike
many thanks for speedy reply! Audi said that all steering components have been checked, so hoped that they would have checked fluids (but maybe that's assuming too much). I'll check the fluid tomorrow morning - is there anything I need to know in order to find the reservoir (I checked the users manual but it has nothing). Do I need to remove the light itself ?! :eek:

Also thanks for your offer of help - any chance we could pop down this weekend? We're in Lancashire, not too far - and you do come very highly recommended !!

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Humps
DIS would display a yellow battery symbol if the voltage is too high or too low. This is not showing on her car. Yes, we drove for about and hour after fitting new battery and the guy who installed it tested it as OK after fitting. If there was a battery problem then I'd imagine that the DIS would pick it up.

Thanks
Martin

Martin, to check the fluid, park up on a flat and level surface and then remove the nearside headlamp (not as tricky as it sounds - remove the bonnet and then remove the 2 x Torx T30 screws that hold the lamp in place).

Below this, you'll spy a green container, with a small screw cap on it - this is the steering fluid reservoir.

Unscrew the cap, wipe clean the little dipstick and then re-screw it. Take it off again to check the fluid level, which should be above the indentation.

If you want to pop down, Saturday am is good for me - PM me for details of address and costs etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike
thanks for the instructions - I'm off to the garage now to have a look!! Will PM you later or early tomorrow with the results.

Sat am would be excellent.

Martin

Power steering fluid needed a top up - it was on min, had a 30 min drive and no symptoms, but it was an intermittent problem, so we shall see. Next opportunity for a long test drive will be to Mike's service dept for a check up at the weekend !!

Without your help I would not have known that there was a power steering reservoir - I've topped this up on other cars, but checking under the A2's bonnet the other day could not find where to top up - not surprising really, considering where it was hidden ! I really thought that Audi had come up with something innovative (especially as Audi dealer informed me that the power steering system was "electronic" and related to the problems with the old battery).

Mike - have PM'd you about the weekend.

Thanks all for replies and help,

Back