coil pack removal?

deseli

Could anyone please tell me the best way to go about removing the coil packs on the fsi as i'm trying to get to the spark plugs underneath to replace.

Thank you

With patience!
Seriously though, I used a large flat bladed screw driver.

Rather than try and pop them out with one big action, I found it best to rock the screwdriver to loosen them up. This worked much better than force.

Also DO NOT be tempted to lube the replacement coils. They have fine vent slots that allow expanding air to escape from underneath them. IF you were daft enough to lube them with say, high temperature silicone grease :rolleyes: then you would find that the coils can't vent this pressure and as the engine warms up the pressure blows them out.

Hope that helps, they are flipping tight, but gentle leverage and a high frequency spring/lever action worked for me.

Thank you chb, wasn't sure if using say something like a flat blade screw driver would damage them. Was trying last night with just my fingers and couldn't get anywhere (was sorely tempted but refrained from getting a screw driver out to prise them out) as I wondered if there was a method of doing it rather than patience and a flat blade! :eek::rolleyes:

Will try tomorrow now as it's got too dark! :D

oh, one other thing. I remember that for one of the coil packs I had to undo something (oil filler?) can't recall what now. Not a big deal but I remember undoing something to get at one of the two drivers side coils.

yes chb, i think its the one on the far left as you are looking into the engine bay (#1?) as #3&4 went a while back and those are the 2 on the far right by the looks of it!

iy has a connector with wire in the way which is right by the oil cap?!?

Mike, was still at work, so by the time got to the car and driven home - would be dark and engine too hot anyhow! burnt a finger yesterday poking aroung and that were after leaving it for aroungan hour!!! :p;)

well had the spark plugs changed and the coil packs and wow what a difference it makes! :D

cheers chb for your help :D

now considering getting the rear arb next? :rolleyes:

Well Done!
Whats the service interval on the plugs?
I bought a set last month, but havn't fitted yet. Think my plugs have done 25,000 miles now.

Plugs are recommended every 40k miles, but can be cleaned at interims. Buy from a motor factors and use only Bosch - dealer prices are double for the same kit!

Cheers,

mike

PS Deseli - rear ARB? What about the other stuff first?

Yes, hoping to get the other bits and bobs done same time next month when you are available??? :D

(that's if we have the same things in mind on other bits and bobs?!? i.e. keys? :p)

Then cam belt and water pump in Dec!

chb,

My spark plugs had done 30k miles before just changing them, but these were the original ones which were over 5 years old.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

M

I think I'm going to buy the tool... in the meantime managed to make a complete mess of No 4 connector plug owing to some other idiot breaking the release tab (which only needs a finger, not pliers!).

Is it possible to replace the connectors, does anybody know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me the recommended gap for the spark plugs on my 2005 1.4 petrol SE?
Thanks.

I think I'm going to buy the tool... in the meantime managed to make a complete mess of No 4 connector plug owing to some other idiot breaking the release tab (which only needs a finger, not pliers!).

Is it possible to replace the connectors, does anybody know?

Yes all the plugs are replaceable, but you’ll need a release tool for the contacts etc. Normally all BOSCH plug types.

https://www.dalroad.com/products/automotive-components/connectors/bosch-connectors/

Back