battery light on, no charge going to battery

Hi all,
Can you give me some advice please before I start to pay out

Today the car died on my wife, flat battery ... she got a jump start and it died again, really dead (ABS light flashing, steering light flashing, rev counter at 0, whole dash very dim)

I went and bought a new varta and fitted it, and hoorah, all is good she started first time but the battery light is now staying on.

There appears to be no charge going to the battery from the altenator, checked the belt that looks ok, is it a new altenator is there anything else I can check ??

how much should I be paying for an altenator ??

how far will she go with no altenator before I kill my new battery

ps. the battery light was not on yesterday so this is all as a result of todays issues ...

Thanks

Last edited:
Regulator, not necessarily alternator, but it would be very smart to get them both checked. There are alternators on the 'bay for £100 or so, a reg should be around half that.

Bret

I concur with Bretti - a diagnostic should reveal the fault(s), but it could be either of these parts.

Don't think about a genuine alternator - it's £750, or a bargain £350 when you take the old one back!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Gents

Based on your responses I have just rang my local VAG Independant, they will look at it tonight, I will provide updates later :(

off I trot wallet in hand :eek:

Thanks Gents

Based on your responses I have just rang my local VAG Independant, they will look at it tonight, I will provide updates later :(

off I trot wallet in hand :eek:

Just a thought. The A2 alternator pulley has a built-in ratchet mechanism which can go wrong. Make sure the alternator and not just the pulley is spinning when the engine is running. A bit more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62056&postcount=3

Cheers Spike

Thanks Brett & Mike
My local VAG independant has diagnosed a dead altenator.
Spike
I will give them a call and relay the content of the thread cheers.

They have sourced a replacement from Audi and will have the car back to us tomorrow, so not too bad, and for a quoted price of £277.41 incl VAT
They have broken that down approx as £170 (excl VAT) is the part and the rest labour, based on initial shouts it seemed OK ???

Thanks again for all of your help

Car was ready as promised, price as promised, she runs like a dream again
well happy
Excellent independant here in Blackpool - what a find - some good came of this after all.

Back