Knocking noise in dashboard

Hi
I've become a knocking / rattling noise from the top of the dashboard when drinving on uneven roads. Sounds like it comes from the front, under the windscreen. Guess I have to open the dashboard to find what is loose. Does anyone have experience on this operation or similar noise?
Ole (A2 1.4 2003)

Hi Ole
The bonnet locating brackets can sometimes need packing to prevent the rear corners (in front of the windscreen) rattling. If the rattle can be induced by light hand pressure then remove the bonnet and add a few layers of duct tape to the bottom of the channels the bonnet slides into

Cheers Spike

There's also a number of panels and brackets around the brake reservoir area that if not secured properly, can also cause vibration. Check this area too.

Cheers,

Mike

Windscreen knock

I doubt if this is still a problem, but if it is! Here in Edinburgh we have plenty of rough road surfaces. Our knocking noise is the windscreen wiper blade sitting too low at the bottom of the windscreen and the wiper blade etc. knocks on the the windscreen beading

I have just developed a knocking sound to from the dashboard, along with a plastic creaking sound alond the RHS.

It would appear the rattle is coming from just beneath the windscreen heating vent, so looks like im gonna have to take the dash out to sort it

John

I've had this recently too, and after a bit of snooping I discovered it was the wiper arm rattling off the windscreen! The wiper seems to settle so there's very little clearance between the arm and the glass - over bumps it then taps against the glass and rattles. I just lifted it up and set it back down gently and the rattle stops for a while. Not sure how to fix it long term yet though...

Check this out anyway before you go pulling the dash out... ;)

Jon

Still noise

Thanks for suggestions. But nothing seems to fit my case. I still have the noise. So if anybody has some advise on how to open the dashboard it would be great. It must be something loose under the top cover of the dash, just behind the windscreen.

I have checked all the above and my noise aint going.

Gonna consult the else manual, and when i get time off work i'll whip the dash out and tighten everything up and look for a culprit!!

John

I have made some progress on this dash noise.

When I turn the ignition on (not starting engine) there is a faint popping / ticking sounds coming from the dash.

Then when I start the car it becomes more prominent but intermittent. For example when i lightly touch the brake or the accelerator pedal it makes it happen, so you get a few of these popping/ticking sounds then it will stop and then it will randomly occur when i have done nothing - BUT every time i touch the pedals it does it!!!

Sounds like it is coming from somewhere at the back of the dash towards the left.

Any ideas??

John

Ole,

Your rattles sound a little like the ones which I contimue to experience, but have not got round to fixing!

Please see very helpful reply from SARGE to my previous post, which might be helpful:

Your description of the rattle behind the dash is very likely caused by a aluminium bracket that runs behind there and connected to the bulk head under the windscreen wiper arm. I have attached a picture of this. Basically there is two parts to it and where they meet in the middle the weld will have broken causing the vibrations to rattle them.

The other one, I would remove the stereo, then remove the air vents, maybe even removing the control panel and the tray (only in the single din dashboard) then get someone to drive it while you have a fiddle to see where it is coming from. I think it could be something silly and removing the entire dash may be overkill at this stage.

I have a ‘removed’ dash out of the car, (not mine) and I can take pics to help you if you need, in the event you do decide to remove the dash.

Please see attached pictures. In picture CIMG48277, the dash board is upside down, and you can see the metal bracket. In picture CIMG4816 -2 you can see the bracket where it is actually located.

SARGE if you on-line perhaps you could also post those images to accompany
this post?

Cheers

Andy

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i get that noise too! what the hell! its so annoying... i just crank up the music to ignore the nooise. So what shall i do? i dont wanna remove dashboard. i dont know how to lol.

I've had this recently too, and after a bit of snooping I discovered it was the wiper arm rattling off the windscreen! The wiper seems to settle so there's very little clearance between the arm and the glass - over bumps it then taps against the glass and rattles. I just lifted it up and set it back down gently and the rattle stops for a while. Not sure how to fix it long term yet though...

Check this out anyway before you go pulling the dash out... ;)

Jon

Yep i have exactly the same problem to. The nuts on the reverse side of the wiper arm tap the glass when going over bumpy roads, quite annoying. I second checking ur wiper before getting ur dash completly out.

I have a dash rattle at approx 4,000 RPM, it's annoying. It was fine until I needed a replacement windscreen. I have checked bonnet and wiper both do not seem to be the problem. I am not sure what I am going to do, I will live with it for the time being but the rattle lives for such a short time, I am okay with it - it makes me want to find out what the bloody hell is rattling as I like everything to be tight.

Noise solved

Thanks for good suggestions. At last the workshop confirmed that it was caused by the arm that is connected to the wiper arm. So when that was tightened the sound is gone.

I've got a dash rattle which seems to eminate from behind the front passenger bulkhead, it's worst around 2-3000rpm. I can't work out what it is but I know it's darned annoying!

My rattle improves if I take the bonnet of and re-attach it - but then it comes back. I think it's the bonnet catches, or at least the damping material around them. Has anyone got any suggestions into how to cure this? It's driving me insane!

My rattle improves if I take the bonnet of and re-attach it - but then it comes back. I think it's the bonnet catches, or at least the damping material around them. Has anyone got any suggestions into how to cure this? It's driving me insane!

I do indeed Dan.

Firstly you need to check the positioning of the bonnet catch slots.
With the bonnet on try and move the two corners. One of mine did, the other didnt. Checked the slot alignment on the car and one was further back than the other, so unbolted and moved then re tightened. Result - movement gone.

Also to stop the black guide bits rattling I got a foam block, cut a bit off, held it under the black guide and clipped it back in, making it nice a firm.

Net result - no more rattles.

John

Back