Engine cutting out???

I have a very irritating problem with my A2!!! The engine will not stay running when the car is idling, It used to happen only once in a while and I used to think I had just stalled it! Now however, it happens all the time. It usually happens when waiting at junctions, giving way, stopping in traffic, basically if the engine is idling it switches itself off... I have to restart the engine with the key, occasionally it wont start straight away (I think because it floods the engine...) but with the dark nights now upon us restarting the engine when giving way to traffic is a problem because the headlights switch off when restarting! I always wanted a similar system to BMW'S stop and start but I really don't want it like this, any help would be muchly appriciated... James.

I had a similar problem in my 1.4 TDi that only appeared a few times. The typical situation was that I'd been driving for a good while and everything had warmed up, and then I'd hit a queue of traffic, sit there idling for a while and the engine would cut out. Sometimes it was all I could do to get it started again. I also noticed that when the engine was cold it wouldn't start as well as it used to - needed a couple of seconds of cranking to get going. Turned out to be the temperature sensor - not the one used for the dash indication but the other one. When that was fixed the starting problem went away and I've not had a cut-out since.

What engine do you have?

Cheers,

Dev

I have the Same Problem

I have the Same Problem, dev could you tell me which other temp. Sensor you mean? I showed it to a mechanic and his telling me its the injectors. Before changing the injectors I told him try the injector wires, he changed them but nothing happened. I had this problem few months back but on the computer it came up it was one of the crank or cam shaft sensor. After changing the sensor it went away but now the same problem but worse. As now once it's cuts of I have to wait few
Min to be able to make the engine run and then after few min it will judder and cut off again.

I've got exactlythe same problem. Takes a few cranks to start when cold and then after setting off when you come to a junction engine gets rough and conks out. Take an age to start and will keep doing it until the engine warms up when everything seems OK.

My initial thought was a camshaft sensor but having replaced this it has not resolved the problem.

Which temperatiure sensor is it please

Terry - Thanks but listening to the Father in Law who knows quite a bit about diesels he seems to think it could be a fuel problem. I changed the fuel filter a few months back and issues only started after this. First it would be difficult to start after a long motorway speed run and now when its cold with the cutting ouot before its warmed up.

The filter is a genuine Audi part (from Audi) and i am wondering if somehow there is air or a leak somewhere that is causing the fuel to either drain back or starve it when cold? I didn't crimp the pipes when removing the old one so got some leakage but no problem straight after etc and presumed any air would have been purged out?

I've spent £50 on the camshaft sensor which obviously I didn't need to so less inclined to buy a crankshaft sensor if it is fuel related.

Back