Handbrake adjustment guide?

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
Had a search through the forums but cannot find a guide to adjusting the handbrake for drum brakes.

I read some reference to the fact that they are self adjusting, but if so, then I suspect I may need new cables as you have to pull the handbrake quite high and even then it barely holds on even the slightest incline.

Any advice much appreciated.

Put the back up on axel stands and then pull the handbrake 4 clicks - see if the wheels are hard to turn by hand.

If they're still easily turned, whip out the little storage tray behind the habdbrake itself and look for the brassy nut in there.

Turn clockwise a turn at a time until you can just barely turn the wheels by hand and that's it - all done!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike sounds simple -famous last words!- think it is a job for the weekend - just been out and the outside temp guage is reading 1C. Does the storage tray just pull out or are there any clips to release?

There is a means of compensating for wear by a wedge on a spring but the springs appear to be too weak. Consequently you run out of adjustment. I thought that the cables had stretched! The springs need some assistance by pushing down the wedges with the handbrake off. Then you can make adjustments.

RAB

Ive adjusted mine everyear since ive had the car but i think ive run out of adjustment
time for some new shoes next.....I Did'nt no about the wedges ....

Apart from new shoes, don't forget that the cable itself will stretch, meaning a new one is required every so often.

Cheers,

Mike

Not done it on the A2 but on previous cars with spring loaded wedge adjusters, the wedge face became ridged over time and would not self adjust to compensate for brake lining wear. Filing the wedge faces flat restored the self adjusting capability. Its a long time ago but I seem to remember the wedge faces were lightly grooved for grip so after filing, a few strokes of a fine pitch thread file were need to restore the grooved finish

Cheers Spike

Not done it on the A2 but on previous cars with spring loaded wedge adjusters, the wedge face became ridged over time and would not self adjust to compensate for brake lining wear. Filing the wedge faces flat restored the self adjusting capability. Its a long time ago but I seem to remember the wedge faces were lightly grooved for grip so after filing, a few strokes of a fine pitch thread file were need to restore the grooved finish

Cheers Spike

Spike,

I think it's grooved (or ridged) so that it can, in normal use, only move in one direction, i.e. downwards, producing a ratchet effect. Or at least that's the intention, perhaps!

RAB

Back