LUPO 3 L 1.2 tdi

Hi

I am fernando , from Portugal, i have a lupo 3 L from 2002 ,bought in 2005,
I have spend a lot of money with this car, many problems.
The first was when i try to start the motor, i have no ignition, just at the third time,then i discover a guy who worked in ww, and have an workshop
with all the same dignostic machines that ww have, and the guy is good because is electronic technician.
He replaced the black reservoir wich is the pressure acumulator.
Now i have a problema wich happens more or less twice a month,
after i park the car , when the motor is hot, i go for ex drink a coffee when i came to go away , i try to start the motor and no ignition not even a noise,
all the lights are lit.
what i have to do is remove the positive cable from battery ( my baterry is on the back ) i touch the positive with cable out to the negative wich is inserted in batery and then i have ignition.
I think could be electronics or battery ? but this never happens when the car is cold,only after stopping for a litle bit
Any body can help me ?

Sorry my bad english

Does the starter motor operate when you attempt to start? If not, there is a sensor/relay on a 3L (and A2 1.2Tdi) starter motor which prevents it from operating if the motor gets too hot. This is related to the start/stop system. The relay/switch is part of the starter motor and cannot be replaced separately. If it is operating at too low a temperature, you have two options: replace the starter motor or bypass the switch - the feed for the starter solenoid plugs into the switch/relay. If the latter, you won't have any protection for the motor but one of our 3L's has been operating like that for the last seven years!

RAB

lupo 3 L

hi

As i say , when that happens i have no ignition the starter motor does not operate, i dont hear any noise.
As you say there is a sensor or relay near the starter motor ?
And can be bypassed ?
Do you know where is located the starter motor ? it is visible ?
that sensor is near by the start motor ?

thanks for your help

It is mounted on the back of the starter motor at the opposite end to the engine; there is a plug with a single connector that plugs into it and a lead from it to the solenoid. Make up a lead to connect the terminal on the solenoid to the connector for the switch/sensor/relay; this will bypass the latter. If the problem occurs before you have the above lead installed, check that you have 12v at the end of the lead that plugs into the starter motor. If yes, the problem is the starter motor. If not read on.

There is a possible alternative cause. If your clutch is out of adjustment, the starter motor will not operate. When this happens, no error codes are raised. When did your 3L last have a gearbox/clutch basic setting done? This procedure includes clutch adjustment. It should be done every 30,000km. This can be done by a VW dealer or yourself with VCDS (vag-com) software.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead A2/Lupo 3L start - brake light switch?

RAB suggestion is good.

I had a similar intermittent 'no start' 2 years ago with my A2 3L. Caused by a failing brake light switch which would not allow starter to turn after I'd pressed brake pedal and turned ignition key to the start position. Simple to check - when no starter response, are your car's brake lights lit with the pedal pressed? No illuminated brake lights = broken pedal switch. Switch is inside car, above brake pedal and costs less than 10.00 euros.

Hope this helps.

Erling

lupo 3 L

that clutch adjustment i dont know if it was made on the revision
of 90000 km that changed a lot of things as timing belt, water pump ,disk brakes,oil,filters something like 1000 euros.
Now my car has 112000 km made a simple revision at 105000 km ( 150 euros ),oil,filters etc, but no clutch adjustment
I have something to say that is : the revision i made on 105000 km was made without original components, ( air filter,oil filter,diesel filter ,carrier filter )
the oil was with the correct specifications.
i forgot to say that my car has ecu adjustment it has 90 HP

If the brake light switch is the problem, with the ignition on and foot on the brake, the gear lever will not move from STOP.

RAB

lupo 3l

hi

now i have the airbag light always on, i went to the guy that told me according to tests he made, and it is the airbag ring, and it costs in portugal
150 euros .
Any body knows where can i buy more cheaper ?
if i break the led or cancel the led, does the airbag will work ?

lupo 3l

hi

i paid 225 euros for replacing the ring airbaig.
It was made a clutch adjustment, it was with 0,51 volts
it should be beetween 1,8 until 2.0 volts.
Now the air bag light is off , and im going to see if my problem
is resolved

I have a Lupo 3L and I also had a problem with airbag light always on. I checked faults with VAG-COM and got code 65535 internal control module memory error. I was able to get the light off with airbag light reseter, which I bought from ebay. It cost about 30euros. Took about two minutes to get the light off. Now the light has worked as it should for two months. So it was worth it.

lupo3 l

hi
some body can tell me if i can change the pressure acumulator easy ?
is it necessary adjustments with computer ?

If the gear change mechanism is working OK, you should not need VCDS or similar. Unplug the hydraulic control unit, so that the pump does not start. With a 24mm spanner or a chain type oil filter wrench, undo the accumulator half a turn; this will allow the oil to drain into the reservoir and is a useful point to check the level. Now replace the accumulator and tighten to 40Nm. Re-connect the hydraulic unit plug and that's it.

RAB

Hi

Sorry some terms i do not understand what is vcds ?
Will i know what plug is the hydraulic control unit ?
Half a turn to the oil on the acumulator go to the reservatoir ?
How should i know to tight until 40 nm ? the acumulator is like a screw ?
until I can not tighten ?

VCDS is vag-com. Electrical connection socket/plug is attached to the hydraulic unit, just in front of and to the right of the brake fluid reservoir, looking from the front. Alternatively disconnect the battery. Half a turn to relieve the pressure and let the oil flow to the reservoir. 40Nm is the workshop manual recommendation. Otherwise use common sense. Threaded connection with an O ring seal.

RAB

lupo 3L

hi

i went to sea how much cost the pressure acumulator, realy ww has very expensive prices, 120 euros costs the acumulator, the hydraulic control unit
costs 850 euros .
Some body knows why i have ignition about 20/25 seconds after i turn the key on ? on hot after i parked for a while ther is no problems but in the morning is the problem.
I am going instead of spending a lot of money , do that bypass th start motor
which is more cheaper
i want opnions

You are waiting 20 to 25 secs because there is insufficient hydraulic pressure. This is almost certainly because of a failing accumulator - they have a diaphragm with nitrogen above it. With time the nitrogen permeates through the diaphragm and the accumulator has to be changed. They have recently quadrupled in price! The starter motor is not the problem.

RAB

lupo 3 L

now it happens today , i stoped the car to drink the coffee
when i was to go home, i turn the key and no ignition, i noticed that even when there is no key on the car ,the acumulator seems to be doing a noise,
i had to take off the batery possitive pole ,conect again and already put the car starting.
What is going on with my car ? is realy the acumulator ?

When the engine does not start, is it possible to move the gear lever to N with the ignition on and your foot on the brake pedal? Does it start in the N position?

RAB

lupo 3 L

the lever moves but i did not experimented start the ignition on N.
Netx time it happens i wil try to start on the N position

but could it be the acumulator because i hear an lower acustic noise with the key on but the lights off, i spend since 2005 im revisions, faults,
more than 5000 euros, for you to see what i am sick of this car.

Back