Cabin heater fan motor not working

Will

A2OC Donor
My cabin heater fan motor decided not to work today.

If I manually set the fan speed the bars on the display increase, but still no fan.
Then ~5 seconds later the bars automatically disappear one by one to zero.

I checked the 30A fuse and that was OK.

I can feel some latent heat coming through and the rear demist button works OK. So the unit looks to mostly function with all LCD functions displayed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Any thoughts how to partially remove the dashboard so I can get a multimeter on to the fan motor?

There's no way to partially remove the dash Will, if you can't get to what you need with the glovebox out, then it's a full dash removal I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Mike

Ref the attached pic, you should only need to remove the glovebox for access to the blower motor

Cheers Spike

Any thoughts whether the fault could be with the CC module.

I'm thinking dried out circuitboard.

How's the CC unit removed? I guess you start by removing the stereo.

Will I need VAG-COM when I plug it back it?

Thanks.

Any thoughts whether the fault could be with the CC module.

I'm thinking dried out circuitboard.

How's the CC unit removed? I guess you start by removing the stereo.

Will I need VAG-COM when I plug it back it?

Thanks.

Hi!

Had the exact same problem. no vagcom needed. On my A2 it was the regulator controlling the fan that was the issue. Just a bad contact. Pulled the plug out and put it back in. Work just fine now:)

The regulator is located near the fan itself. You figure it out when you see the wires. You wil l need to remove the glove compartment as noted earlier. Easy task when you have located all the screws!

Cheers!
-P-

Thanks. Fingers and toes crossed! :)

Any links for glove compartment removal? Tried a search and failed so far.

Will
The climate control panel is held in position by 4 spring clips (2, on top and 2, bottom) You really need to remove the radio and cubby hole etc to for access to the clips and press them down before trying to pull the CC panel out. I think I managed to release the 2 top ones which allowed the panel to be coaxed out without any real force.
The attached pic shows the (bright plated) clips on the top surface

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Poor progress so far:

glove box removed
climate control panel removed to check connectors - all OK

With the heater fan disconnected and fan speed set to max the fan speed indicator stays on max (didn't before) - no voltage & current on fan motor connector

When I plug the fan motor connector back in to the fan motor the speed indicator drops to zero - still no fan opperation

This makes me think the fault is with the fan motor unit.

But why is there no voltage in the connector when it is disconnected?

Ideally I'd have a spare climate control unit or VAG-COM unit to test. (anyone near Warwick?)

A bit more playing later on but I sadly now can't see a way forward.

Time to spend some more money in a garage!

Correction! There is a voltage - 23.6v - I had the multimeter on the lower range, school boy mistake.

So that adds weight to my thought of a faulty motor.

Interesting development, to me anyway.

I used my car battery charger to give a 12v feed direct to the fan motor and it worked ok!

I checked again the voltage coming from the climate control unit and that looked fine.

So why when the two are plugged together does it not work?

I wonder what other relay/switches are in the way?

A local member, Amar, kindly offered to scan my car.
The significant fault code was:

01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
17-00 - Control Difference

Reading this thread: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8942&highlight=blower

it seems I need to test the J126 control unit.

Does anyone know where this is exactly? It seems I need to remove the blower to find it, but just want to be sure before I begin that big task.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The manual says to remove the blower, unplug connector and then remove a screw.

From the drawing, it looks like it's got a series of fins (cooling?) on it.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

When I removed the pollen filter and look up inside I can see some metal fins which may be what I'm looking for.

Reading further through my VAG-COM readout, which incidentally worked fine with the stereo in (remember it wasn't working Mike when you installed CC - how odd is my car!), I see further fault codes:

3 Faults Found:
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
00955 - Key 1
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00956 - Key 2

The Ross-Tech website is quite useful too I'm finding:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/

Yes, your car is indeed a strange beast!

The codes are related to the key memory in the climate panel (it remembers the heat and fan setting for each key) going out of sync, probably from not using one of the keys for a long while.

Cheers,

Mike

Back