What do you think of this? It could push all the right buttons!

Design-Time

A2OC Donor
I have had my A2 for a couple of week now and it’s is fantastic! My only disappointment is the dreaded climate control button damage. I looked at a few A2’s and everyone had the same problem. The button damage really stands out and spoils an otherwise mint condition car.

I have trawled this site reading just about every thread on this problem.

New Part:
I thought I would replace the unit until I saw a quote for £500 ish. (not an option).

eBay:
Next I thought of would be a second hand unit of eBay but currently all are above the £40+ range and you don’t know how good they are.

Breakers Yard:
Another option was breakeryard.com had an interesting offer from King Spares in Manchester bought a mint unit from Craig. When it arrived he had overcharged my debit card and the buttons were damaged and worn out. (This is another story).

Refurbish/Repair:
Final option was refurbish/repair! I have tried to match the paint using the colour references I found on the other forum threads with no success. So I have had some paint mixed up to match the buttons in matt finish. I have two sets of buttons. One set from my 2004 A2 and a lone set from a 1999 A3. I have noticed a very slight difference in the shade of black. I suppose your never going to match it perfectly because of batches of paint and sun exposure etc. Next problem will be the symbols on the switches. I scanned them in and recreated them as artwork. (See Attached). I will now have them made into a dry transfer sheet.

My idea is to use them as a mask/stencil. I have drawn the outline of the switch so when positioning the symbol it will be in exactly the right place. Next step is to wet and dry the switch then apply the symbol, mask/stencil. Spray the button and leave to dry and then using low tack tape remove the dry transfer... Wolaaaarrrrrr perfect button in theory .

Problems
  • It don’t work!
  • When you remove the transfer paint comes off.
  • Solvent eats in to the Transfer.
  • Colour matching.

If this turns out to be a successful project I was thinking of offering it as a A2 kit to purchase on eBay for example.

The kit would contain:
  • Tin of 400ml Soul Black paint
  • One sheet of dry transfer symbols (enough to two panels)
  • Torque screwdriver for very small bolts.
  • A tool to make popping of the buttons easy (yet to design).
  • Full instructions on the removal of buttons and refurbishment.
I haven't thought about the cost before anyone asks. I will have to work out the costs by negotiating prices based on volume.

My questions are:
  1. Is this a good idea?
  2. How many people would be interested.
  3. Could I expand it to other Audis and VW’s

Let me know what you all think.

Regards

Darren

I like the thought that has gone into it but why not simply make some durable transfers or covers along the lines of dash kits that cover the entire buttons that is already coloured and avoid all this masking/painting etec? Apart from the serious enthusiast i cannot see many people going for it.

Mine has a scratch on one of the buttons but apart from being a bit disapointing it is not the end of the world.

I have two sets of buttons. One set from my 2004 A2 and a lone set from a 1999 A3. I have noticed a very slight difference in the shade of black. I suppose your never going to match it perfectly because of batches of paint and sun exposure etc.
No, it's not a matter of batch or sun exposure. Audi has changed its paint, there are two flavours of Soul Black : the older one is "satin" (and more resistant), when the newer is the "soft touch" type. The latter tends to wear...

You could just paint the buttons completely black, then have your symbol artwork turned into transferable decals and attach the symbols that way.

John

Hi Darren

I would be interested and I imagine this is going to wanted by more and more people.

I've temporarily put sellotape over some buttons to try and preserve what is left but it's a stop gap solution with the risk that when the tape begins to age and come off it will remove more paint.

Could the transfer or sticky label be all black ex the symbol and cover the whole button?

mmm in theory it could. That is another option. (See attached file)

Transfers that match go over existing buttons (try to pantone match the colour) They would need to be matt lacquered for durability.

Vinyal cut sticker like skins to go over existing buttons these could be in a number of different colours and effects like carbon fibre.

Both options could still be difficult to apply for Mr shakie hands!

Darren:rolleyes:

Darren

Your design mock-up looks fine.

Both options could still be difficult to apply for Mr shakie hands!
Darren:rolleyes:

Recline both front seat, puts some pillows down and lie flat on stomach - just an idea ;)

Alternatively take the unit out....

buttons

I have the same problem as almost all a2 owners!! and it seems the main buttons to wear are the fan + - button and the temp + - all the others are ok on mine.

these two buttons prise out easy with a flat blade mini screwdriver so no dismatling of the unit, i then rubbed down the buttons with fine wet/dry and sprayed with matt black car plastic paint in thin layers before applying small white stickers/transfers from hobbycraft for the + - , i used a T fro temp and * for fan before spraying over with matt laquer to seal the stickers/transfers on.

result - fixed buttons, they dont light up but for the cost of a couple of cans of paint (which i already had) the buttons look fresh again, sure they dont fully match but look 100% better than worn rubbed off rubber paint, i have also done this to the drivers door/window mirror swich and surround, also painted was the handbrake button which on the se is an aluminium cover, prise off carefully as it is held in by two lugs and glue, rub down and paint with chrome plasticote paint (b&Q ect).

i just couldnt justify a a4 scrapyard unit ect for £40 upwards on ebay so for a tenner its fixed.

hope this helps

simon

air con buttons

i was thinking the mock up vinyl buttons look awesome and would be ideal when applied and sprayed over with a matt laquer to fix them, i have always laquered over these type of stickers when repairing scooters and applying new sticker sets,

the only issue would be lack of illumination of the buttons after the fix?? but i would rather have a good looking panel??

the buttons would first need to be removed of all existing paint as the laquer would bubble the original paint (nitromorse would do the trick in seconds), the buttons would then need to be painted black before applying the stickers.

** design change **, the stickers would have to be 1-2mm smaller all round than the buttons as you would need some space for the laquer to spread over the stickers and fix well otherwise if the stickers went to the edges of the buttons they would peel off even if laquered over**

both the black paint and laquer would have to be acrylic.

i am sure there would be many takers for the stickers if the quality was up to scratch and price is right <£10 for the stickers alone?? buyers could get the paint ect from their local store?

simon :)

the buttons would first need to be removed of all existing paint as the laquer would bubble the original paint (nitromorse would do the trick in seconds), the buttons would then need to be painted black before applying the stickers.
simon :)[/QUOTE]

DO NOT EVER USE PAINT STRIPPER ON PLASTIC it will melt!:eek:

I have cleaned up a button as part of my dry transfer test with cellulose thinners and a fingernail!

I will keep the thread updated as I go along

I am waiting for some sample dry transfers ie matt gloss and foil to test with the paint mask option first as I think this will give you the original look I am after.

Vinyl stickers. Ideally if you can print the black onto a clear vinyl in theory you could get the red illumination.

Just a thought as you are removing the original paint from the button could you not get the + - cut out on the sticker so as when placed on the button this would then allow for illumination, plus you would have a ridge to feel for when not illuminated

Cheers Phil

That was my first though!
I would thing it would be hard to vinyl cut that small, especially the word "TEMP" Inside the P for example. This is some thing I would have to investigate. Commercial vinyl is quite thick.

Next thought was
Vinyl stickers. Ideally if you can print the black onto a clear vinyl in theory you could get the red illumination.

buttons

reply to last post,

the last post wouldn't work as once stripped of the black paint the buttons are white (i know because i have done it) so will need painting prior to application of new stickers and laquer unless the vinyl is applied with heat and wraps over the edges of the buttons??

just a thought but at christmas i ordered a sticker kit from ebay for my daughters nintendo ds, is seemed like it had been printed on a printer and the buttons were cut out ect and was very neat and a very thin layer of vinyl not thick, have a look on ebay and maybe email the sellers of one to see where they get them printed??

simon

I know exactly what you mean! I bought a skin set from the States for my PS3 and controllers the quality was fantastic (see attached).

As long as you mask the areas you wish to illuminate and the + - are laser cut out then it will work.

Darren

laser etched buttons

now we are talking!!!! the site in rhe post above seem to fit the bill, how many of us would by a button swap kit if the price is right??

prise out old buttons, replace with shiny new buttons??

simon

now we are talking!!!! the site in rhe post above seem to fit the bill, how many of us would by a button swap kit if the price is right??

prise out old buttons, replace with shiny new buttons??

simon

I'd go for a set.

Thanks

Graham

Back