Tyre Size Upgrade to 195/50/16 ?

Foghorn

Firstly can I put these on the standard 16" alloy that are currently shod with 185s?

I have just replaced two 185 tyres on the front and the rears will be due soon. However when I did a search for tyre prices I mistakenly put in 195 and can't believe that these tyre sizes are HALF the price of 185s!

Hence the questions? Seem like excellent value, more grip and may give a smoother ride.....

Tyre pricing is somewhat strange, I've had a similar experience when pricing up tyres for my 15" wheels. Look in the sticky 'definitive tyre thread' in wheels and tyres section and you will find all you need to know!

I have put Falken 195/50/16s on my A2 to improve the ride.
The speedo becomes more accurate as the gearing changes slightly, the mpg reduces slightly again because of the gearing, in real terms you will not put any more diesel in you tank for the same journey.
All in all for me it was a win win decision.
I can not decide whether the acceleration is reduced, if it is its not noticeable.
I paid £65 each, fitted at my local small tyre fitter

Can't see how the speedo/gearing changes given that they are the same profile and theoretically the same outer circumference?

Standard 16" tyre profile is 185-50. The 195-50's increase the circumfrence by approx 2%

Cheers Spike

Can you mix and match different sizes?

I don't mean on the same axle though.

I'm thinking of getting some 195's next time and I'll get a pair, do I have to keep them at 50 or can i get 55's as well.

Or do i wear all 4 down and upgrade together.

Back