noise when accelerating!

new2A2

Hi everyone,

I have a new noise!

Ooooohh i hear you cry in excitement. But i could do with knowing what it is, so please could anyone shed some light on the subject for me.

The noise happens when i accelerate and its kind of a rubbing or something; in time with whenever i have the pedal depressed. Part of me wants to say 'belt' but i have very little idea of what i'm on about.

whatever it is it doesn't sound good and i dont want to have the mechanic take a week investigating it if there is nothing wrong. i've heard people mention fuel heaters, and as its been very cold since the noise started. it could be that, but it doesn't seem to stop after driving around for 40 mins.

is this normal? the car had its MOT a week ago and everything was fine.

Where abouts are you? as someone could recomend someone or you could be close to another member that could give you a second opinion.

Phil

Hi, It would be helpful if you filled in your car details ( User profile - 'about me' header) so we knew which model A2 you own.
If its a diesel, it will have the Webasto diesel powered heater. This is like a miniature central heating boiler and sounds like a jet engine when it starts up and shuts down. In cold weather it runs all the time and can also be heard going through the shutdown cycle after the ignition is switched off. If you have a petrol, forget all that as they don't have the heater.
Noises from the alternator pulley are another possibility. More info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12047&highlight=alternator+pulley

Cheers Spike

could do with a webasto in the Mondeo ST TDCI i now drive
it takes ages to warm up on cold mornings

You have to love the A2's

If you loose any power during acceleration, could be intercooler on its way out. Can be slight whistle diesel 125 noise .
Hope it is just your webasto system .

Back