Random indicator behaviour

john-wingnut

Hi peeps

My indicators have grown a mind of there own.

When used for signalling sometimes they click on and off slower than usual, then they suddenly speed up and click really fast, before clicking at there normal rate.

Would this be time for a relay change?

John

the part is cheap ~£14, wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Sound like that's the problem.

Is there only one relay for the indicators??

Reason i ask is that when you press hazard switch the indicators will work correctly.

However using the stalk to either left or right, it does one flash then stops!!!

Whats going on with that??

John

John thats what my problem was with my one --use the stalk and you get one flash then nothing,but use hazards no problem. once i changed it for a new one no more problems. the old one i took apart among other "stuff" there are two relays so i guess one is for indicators and one is for hazards so that explains the odd behaviour.
every one says its an easy fix but i had loads of problems un clipping the relay from its mount.in fact the air was quite blue and my trim blood red!!
good luck mike

Lol, right well i'll get me a new one then.

Got to do some dash creaking maintenance so will sort it when centre console is out, should be easier that way - less swearing.

John

You had problems removing the relay box from it's mount because you didn't remove the 2 screws holding the mount in place. It's held by a pair of hooks on the top side and a set of 2 screws on the bottom one. If those screws are firmly in place, you'll have a hard time removing as well as reinstalling the box back in place.
As for the in-box part, it does have a double relay, one for hazards and one for the sides.
If you go for a full DIY repair (3E total cost including HU hooks :D ), check out this post: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=96513&postcount=98
I didn't include pictures, but i can answer any questions via PM's.
Good luck.

Trex, there is no screws holding the indicator relay!!!!

Just the two securing clips top and bottom.

Mine just popped out, but then I couldn't get the thing to come forward and then I accidentally broke the two vertical stays, so im just gonna have to tape my new one in lol.

Will be easy to remove next time lol

John

The flasher relay is much easier to replace in a single-DIN console than in a double-DIN
My fingers had a hard time when I swapped my "komfortblinker" module from my old A2 to the new :mad:

I had this start today. I wanted the komfortblinker so would now be the right time.. Is that going to fix my indicator problem or do i also need a new relay?

There is a good thread on this (Somebody with better understanding of search thing will help) Its actually very easy to do.

Mine finally went in the middle of Norfolk and I found when taking it out that I could insert a little fold of paper inbetween the contacts to make it work for a good few days.

Its a tight space but once you've figured it out its easy.

I'd do it for you if you were local.

I'm near Stamford, Lincs

Edit oops - should not just scan thread - the link is there!

I replaced my indicator relay in July thanks to the excellent instructions provided on this forum, but on my way into work this morning I lost the right indicator and then both indicators again. The hazards still work so I think the indicator relay has gone again. Surely it should last longer than 3 months? Does anyone have any advice for trying to ensure a permenant result such that I'm not replacing £24 relays every three months?
Russ
correction: £25.20 + VAT (from Manchester Audi)

Last edited:
:eek:Just went to Audi to get some parts - I thought I'd take the indicator relay out first to see if they had anything to say about it failing and noticed that the top of the connector block wasn't quite seated properly in the relay - gave it a really good hard push (well, as much as you can pushing sideways with the tip of your finger) and it clicked in properly and hey presto - worked!. Doh! Ah well, £25 saved.
Russ

I've been experiencing random ticker noises coming from my flasher unit and swapped it out today and the new one is behaving erratically too - spontaneously ticking. Can anybody point me in the direction of where the problem may be originating from?

You may have an indicator bulb out.

Once I forgot to put the bulb in after doing some work on my front right headlight cluster.

Indicated right and it went crazy lol.

John

All the actual indicator bulbs are functioning normally. The new flasher unit continues to tick for a few seconds after the indicator has been turned off. It does this about 50% of the time. The old flasher unit was just spontaneously ticking regardless of what The indicator stem was doing. The hazards work normally.

im experiencing the same issue with my indicators. is it a co-incidence thats temperatures reached minus 10 here last week>? would this kill the relay??

andy

Random Ticking

The random ticking problem when the indicators are turned off (with the indicators otherwise working correctly) is due to contamination of the contacts operated by the stalk.
My indicators did the exact same thing about a year ago and the solution I used was to spray switch cleaner into the "root" of the indicator stalk on the steering column and wag the stalk up and down a dozen times or so. Just to make sure, I repeated this 3 or 4 times, and it hasn't given any trouble since.
If you try this, use a decent switch cleaner such as Servisol or similar, DO NOT use WD40 as it attacks some plastics.

I hope this is of some help,
Best Regards,
Oliver

Ok managed to fight my way thru the snow to our local scrap car parts yard to my much visited A2 shell. Happy days the indicator/hazards relay circuit were still there. On inspection the part I "acquired" from the scrap yard seems
To be a newer part so perhaps Audi recognized this a potential. Weekness. Anyhow fitted the new relay and as if my magic, indicators are back to normal... :)

My indicators failed over the weekend, new flasher unit fitted and all is well. had to wait till wednesday for it to arrive though !

Not sure if it is a sign of the unit failing , when locking / unlocking the car, only the O/S indicators flashed, now with the new unit fitted all 4 flash.

Back