Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,2 TDI clutch/ gearbox problems

Exclamation 1,2 TDI clutch/ gearbox problems

I am having problem with electronic manual gearbox on 3L A2. Gearbox type is 085. Hydraulic oil has been changed (=enough) , pressure sensor (G270) and speed sensor G38 as well. Most recent and most typical error codes are:

00263 - Transmission
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    00841 - Transmission Hydraulic Pressure Sensor (G270)
    35-10 - - - Intermittent

After changing gear to (typically) 3rd the system "gives up" =clutch pressed, engine on idle (no response from pedal) and then you are able just to roll. Stop car, switch engine off, put gear selector to N and you are able to continue running until this happens next time (=30sec-5min). This implausible signal error can occur when gear is on E, D or tiptronic. Ambient temperature has been between +5...-10'C. Clutch has been adjusted to 1,86V (recommended 1,8-2,0V), basic settings OK, creep point OK.
    Any suggestion for reason?
    - Worn out, slipping clutch? 2002, 177.000km driven and most likely original clutch. If clutch would slip, it could give unsyncronized signals between engine and transmission. By feeling the clutch is not slipping...
    - electrical problem? where and what kind?
    - hydraulic system, magnetic valves?
    How to fix this?

I believe that you have a poor electrical connection somewhere. You can produce the 00841 code by simply unplugging the hydraulic control unit. I would check the connector.

How many gear changes can you make between the pump stopping and starting in tiptronic mode, engine not running?

RAB

I have checked connectors few times, but no visible damage. Just 2 gear change at tiptronic mode. Unplugging connector next to hydraulic unit would give also open circuit.
    What would be error codes if clutch would be slipping? And how much of slip does to gearbox computer allow?
    Arno
    Last edited by arno; 15-03-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Here for clutch error codes:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...9/P0735/001845

although they do not specifically relate to the 085.

Is there sufficient hydraulic oil? Is there sufficient pressure - the pressure could be limited by the condition of the accumulator which is charged with nitrogen above it's diaphragm. The nitrogen permeates through the diaphragm with time.

Doesn't sound like the clutch slipping - no codes and I'm not sure that you can do a basic setting with a worn clutch.

RAB

kun sä ymmärtää saksan kieli... tuolla ovat enemmän 3l kuskit.

Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

With the ignition on, foot on the brake and the engine NOT running, in tiptronic mode can you change into all five gears? If not, then possibly a basic setting is required or a new gear actuator. If only 1-2-3, can you change quickly between them without restriction or cannot the pump keep up? If not then possibly a new accumulator is required - was a cheap replacement until recently!

Do not skip loosening the gearbox linkage and re-tightening it during the basic setting. Also check the connections to the gearbox controller under the floor in front of the driver's seat.

RAB

Basic settings ok, can go all 5 gears, but then hydraulic pump is running almost all time. When I last did basic settings I skipped the loosing and tightening of gear linkage.
    I also checked connections to gearbox control unit - all ok, except one broken cable tie in underfloor wires. Function same as before after fixing cable tie. Replacement of battery did not affect anything. Old one had 11,7V after one week at cold ambient temp (-5'C), new 12,6V at same temp.

When replacing pressure accumulator (which I will do once I have the part), is there some point where to release the pressure? Torx bolt at hydraulic unit body, located in electric connector side?
    Arno

If the pump is running constantly, it suggests that the accumulator cannot store sufficient pressure (or less likely, a faulty pump).

Disconnect the control unit plug and undo the accumulator with a 24mm spanner (flat at the top) half a turn. That will release any pressure and show the true oil level in the reservoir. Alternatively use a oil filter chain-type wrench to turn the accumulator as it is not very accessible and the flat may be in the wrong position. Change the accumulator and top up the oil if necessary. Plug in the control unit and hopefully that's that!

RAB

New accumulator will arrive later this week, 159eur from Audi dealer in Finland. Arno

You may need to do a repeat basic setting. Without the engine running, instrument indication of 4th or 5th gear may be misleading. Don't skip the linkage adjustment. Sounds like you need a new accumulator anyway.

RAB