Aftermarket Stereo Help

A2P

Hi, I wonder if someone can help. I would like to change my current aftermarket car stereo that came with the car. I have taken out the stereo and in the attached picture (picture 1/2) is the current layout. Picture 2 being the input into the current stereo.

My question to the experts is:

Would it be simple to purchase a replacement aftermarket stereo and plug it in or would I need to replace some or alll of the current wiring setup (as per the pictures) with another ISO harness/adapter to get things working.

Secondly, the current stereo only powers the front speakers, and I would ideally like the rear speakers working. From what you can see is there any obvious reason why the current setup isn't driving the rear speakers to work?

Sorry to be oblivious to all of this, I haven't touched car audio systems since the days of junction boxs/gaffa taping wires together!

Thanks in advance

apart from that you probably don't have any rear speakers, the fact that if you had them they would be attached to a small amplifier.

You can get to the cables if you want in the driver footwell of a RHD car, they're at the back somewhere.

Bret

Your car probably didn't have rear speakers wired or speakers at all! I would pop the grill open and check first. Otherwise, I think the 8-pin brown connector is to the speakers (mine has bose so I've never checked this connector)

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=15684539

Shows pin 3-6 are fronts but you can probably poke around and see how many wires you have.

So all you need is another single DIN aftermarket headunit. They can usually supply standard converter/adapter harness for audi/vw cars with mini-ISO. Or else, use the above diagram to make your own!

Thanks to Bret & Humps for your the rapid responses. Much appreciaed! ;-)

I'll start with checking if there are speakers in the back at all!!

I think from what your saying is i'm going to have to purchase a harness to replace the existing one utilised for the current stereo?

Or is the existing wiring setup (from the pics) adequate so that when i purchase a new stereo the wiring leads supplied should plug and play?

...it was ISO. It will probably work without changes, at least for the speakers plugged in now.

Any changes are a different story.

Bret

What sterio are you fitting?

You will probaly have to find a switched live supply.

Dont forget the arial ISO to Din Antenna Filter and the Audi Rear Amplified ISO Adaptor

I fitted the Alpine IDA100 and it's brilliant! and works with the the rear speakers I got the wiring info from a site called http://www.nexxia.co.uk/ they have some info on the A2

Darren

Last edited:
Thanks again Gents for your advise and help

Darren, not sure on which stereo I will go with, but the existing one (Panasonic) keeps skipping/jumping when tracks are played on the move. I wonder if its to do with the A2 suspension (crash)!!

Probably will go with a stereo that has anti-shock!! :))

I'm using a Pioneer and the previous owner had a Sony. I switched the cabling around myself by a process elimination as Halfords wanted £30 for the Audi cables. Have to say the little car sounds great.

On a similar note, whats in the the front passenger footwell? I found lots of cabling and a black box. Need to check if the drivers side has a box too...

no, you don't, because it has one. The amp for the (front?) speakers is on the right hand side, the MSG and KSG (Engine and Comfort black boxes, respectively) on the left. It's consistent across both LHD and RHD cars.
The compartment on the right may also be used for tools and the jack if BOSE is installed.

Bret

Back