Swap a TDI Engine into a Petrol A2?

LeeLee

Banned
Can you put a TDI engine straight into a petrol A2.
obviously the ecu im assuming wont recognise it and will also need changing wouldnt it?
:rolleyes:

Money no object i am sure it is possible you would also need to change the fuel pumping, front springs/shocks and possibly more besides. why not just buy an a2 TDi?!

Can you put a TDI engine straight into a petrol A2.
obviously the ecu im assuming wont recognise it and will also need changing wouldnt it?
:rolleyes:

Here's a list of some of the things I can think of -
Wiring loom
Instrument cluster
Battery and possibly battery cables
Suspension springs (fronts and possibly the rears)
Exhaust system
Fuel system from tank to engine
Aftercooler and possibly the radiator /cooling system
Engine ECU (as you thought)
Webasto auxiliary heater if the diesel is a pre 2003 model
Turbo wastegate and egr control valves plus vacuum pipework

For a more detailed assessment use the Vagcat parts catalogue to compare petrol and diesel models - http://www.vagcat.com/epc/

Cheers Spike

Here's a list of some of the things I can think of -
Wiring loom
Instrument cluster
Battery and possibly battery cables
Suspension springs (fronts and possibly the rears)
Exhaust system
Fuel system from tank to engine
Aftercooler and possibly the radiator /cooling system
Engine ECU (as you thought)
Webasto auxiliary heater if the diesel is a pre 2003 model
Turbo wastegate and egr control valves plus vacuum pipework

For a more detailed assessment use the Vagcat parts catalogue to compare petrol and diesel models - http://www.vagcat.com/epc/

Cheers Spike

ive got the whole car so im not too concerened about the parts spike
but im just thinking is it worth the hassle transfering a low mileage diesel into and high mileage petrol.
ive got 1 high mileage petrol and 1 low mileage petrol and 1 low mileage diesel but the diesel has had the front end smashed.
do you think a grand for a engine transplant is too much?

That price all depends on what work they will do for it!!!

If they swap over all the necessary parts, wiring, dash, fuel system etc then i would say its pretty good, as it then leaves you to sort the other parts, like suspension etc.

Changing the main wiring loom(s) will be one hell of a job though.

John

Transplanting the engine is probably the least of your problems. I think you would be better off simply selling the parts and buying another car. Unless you intend running the resulting car to the death you would probably not find it easy to sell. Strikes me as a project that unless you have the skill to do it all yourself is not one to be embarked upon.

If you're going to go to the bother of doing an engine transplant, I think it would be better to consider putting in one of the current generation Audi/ VW diesels, or perhaps that 1.4TFSI turbo/supercharger petrol engine rather than swapping in an old diesel? Seems like a heck of a lot of expense for very little end gain to me, and would give you massive issues with re-sell later on I'm sure.

... because there's no space for the propshaft. I think that's a pretty good argument ;)
Even the 1.9TDI lump is heavy and would ruin handling.

Bret

Take the back seats out, mount the engine in the middle and make it a rear wheel drive mid-engined 2 seater aluminium rocket ship - call it an R2?!

Strip the low mileage diesel, find an A2 which is the same but has a knackered engine, and then fit the lump into it, whilst selling off all the other parts of the front end damaged diesel. This is cheaper, gets you what you want, and gives you a reliable car at the end of it. Keep the low mileage petrol, and also rebuild the high mileage petrol as well. Then sell any one of them and get a different car for you high speed kicks

ive got the whole car so im not too concerened about the parts spike
but im just thinking is it worth the hassle transfering a low mileage diesel into and high mileage petrol.
ive got 1 high mileage petrol and 1 low mileage petrol and 1 low mileage diesel but the diesel has had the front end smashed.
do you think a grand for a engine transplant is too much?

a grand for engine transplant is too much if it is like-for-like but you're talking totally different things. If you want the low miles diesel, why not take the high mile petrol's front and put that to the front ended diesel and get a respray? What's damaged on the diesel? front bumper complete, lights, intercooler, 2 rads?

Back