Swedish Road Trip Experience

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Here are some observations & experiences from my recent road trip to Sweden.

1. Route: Wiltshire, Channel Tunnel, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden (about 60 miles north of Stockholm) - same countries in reverse but different route.

2. Distance:
Going: 1368 miles (2189 km) - approx 24 hrs driving over 3 days = average 56 mph
When there: 898 miles (1437 km)
Back: 1757 miles (2811 km) - more sightseeing coming back so slower
Total: 4023 miles (6437 km)

3. Fuel: 62 mpg (22 kpl / 4.6 l/100km) - mostly standard (lorry) diesel (no choice) but once V powered and once city diesel,

4. Vehicle: 1.4 TDI with 5th gear change to 0.65 (Skipton) and remap of +20 bhp (Stealth)
These were great! A2 ran purred along at 80 mph on motorways and remap gave a boost when pulling out. Downside was it was only just possible to keep in 5th on the Swedish roads where the national limit is 45 mph (70 kph) - yes, that's right, 45 mph (1400 rpm). (Note: I had 2 people and lots of luggage or 4 people at other times).

5. Problems: 1 chipped windscreen; 1 blown dipped beam bulb.

6. Driving Experience

France: Nothing to report - only about 1 hour motorway each way
Belgium: ditto - only motorway
Netherlands: ditto - nearly all motorway
Germany: motorways going; 50% A & B roads coming back.

Light traffic (compared to UK) going (Weds & Thurs), mostly lorries trundling along at 90 kph - on much of the motorway lorries are banned from the outside lane in the day time even on 2 lane motorways, of which there are lots. Exception was Antwerp ring road in the evening rush hour where it took an hour to do get round the city but then the motorway cleared to very little traffic.

Much of the motorways have a limit (130, 120 110 or 100 kph - ie only some is unrestricted) plus limits often reduce to 80 kph for intersections (even on the straight through road). Most people keep to the speed limits.

Heading up past Bremen and Hamburg to the Danish boarder the motorway is being widened with extensive roadworks to replace bridges with contraflows and low speeds of 40 kph.

Some urban areas have emission zones (see earlier thread).

Heavier traffic coming back on a different route coming east from Berlin direction (a holiday week). Apparently lorries are banned on bank holidays but I did see some.

Lots of urban motorways have variable speed signs. Did reach 140 kph once trying to keep up with another A2 (I had a heavy load so couldn't and it was getting congested).

Some slips roads on motorways very short with mandatory reducing speed limits but some slip roads very long (2 km) with lane separation barrier at 1 km. This did not sync well with the sat nav.

Worse aspect was the constantly changing speed limits (e.g. limit drops by 20 or 30 kph for a junction or sharp bend or farm exit) and small town signs indicating 50 kph (all this the same in Sweden and Denmark).

Fair number of forward facing speed cameras spotted - Sat nav safety camera warnings are illegal and there are no advanced warnings. Cameras are tall cylinder shaped, say 30cm wide and 3m tall, and grey and sometimes hidden! Plus saw radar trap in bushes in the road works.

Road surface conditions good to poor (rutted concrete but very few pot holes). Roads in the former east seemed better - much patched up but good quality smooth patching.

Denmark:
Very good roads with some stretches of motorway at 120 or 130 kph (80mph) but most 110 kph (70 mph) but again fair degree of changing limits.

Sweden:
Excellent roads despite hard winter where I'm told the roads froze to a depth of 1.5 metres.

Low national speed limit of 70 kph (45mph) unless signed otherwise. Some A roads at 80 kph and occasionally 90 kph if there is deer fencing. Motorways 110 kph and sometimes 120 kph.

Speed camera seem to be concentrated in particular areas but always warning about 100m ahead. All forward facing and cylinder but painted blue. Often just inside 50 kph zones or a junctions.

Again lots of changing limits even on main roads where every junction off seems to have a lower limit through the junction. Villages often have 50 kph zone, a couple of chicanes, then a 30 kph zone (and just to make sure you are alert) a raised pedestrian crossing with 45 degree cobbled ramp that really should be taken at no more than 15 kph in an A2.

Everyone seems to keep to the speed limits despite the long and boring drive (forest, pretty forest, pretty lake, forest, pretty lake - you get the picture). The biggest challenge is to stay alert off the motorways where traffic can be very light.

One foul night at about 11pm I must have driven 25 miles without seeing another vehicle - just staring into the abyss looking out for the dark shape of an elk - it's a no win contest. Roads have little side verges and steep V shaped ditches (presumably to shovel the snow into when they use their monster snow ploughs - I've seen them in the winter, makes the UK ones seem puny!). So there is little margin for error.

Sweden used to have very wide roads with half width "hard shoulders" where slower vehicles were expected to move over to let fast vehicles pass. Many seem to have been converted into 3 lane highways that alternate 2 +1 and then after a few km to 1 +2. There is a wire safety barrier between the lanes and surprise, surprise a 110 kph speed limit. But it does mean that there is no space for a broken down vehicle to get off the road and they can pose a hazard.

Lots of garages are self service only (unmanned) even in the day.

Stockholm has congestion charging and once I got diverted off the main E4 motorway (due to an uncompleted section) and found myself going through a matrix sign reading 10 Kr (£1) and then another. Guidebook said it didn't apply to foreign vehicles. Why they take a major European motorway through the city beats me but it may be due to the numerous lakes and islands in that part.

Addendum: This article http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/stockholm-congestion/ is about the scheme and says that the E4 is exempt provided one doesn't exit it. It's a micro charging system using on-board transponders as well as ANPR. If you don't pay then the authorities can automatically remove the amount from your bank account!

7. Other A2s
France: 0
Belgium: 0
Netherlands: 0
Germany: c5
Denmark: 1
Sweden: 2 or 3

Very disappointing. I was expecting loads in Germany, nay I was expecting a "welcome home" cavalcade of fellow A2 drivers waving and hooting!

8. Conclusion:

Driving on the right was no problem. Motorway driving was no problem other than lots of repairs / rebuilding in Germany. Off the motorways the driving was slow and constantly looking for changing speed limits and adjusting speed became tedious and irritating. Sat Nav was useless at accurately showing the prevailing speed limits.

The last time I did this trip was 30 years ago. I think I will wait another 30 years before doing it again!

Last edited:
Picture of the Swedish 2+1 lanes mentioned above.

This stretch of road is the only gap in the E4 motorway from southern Sweden to Stockholm (346 miles - 557 km). It's near Ljungby and is 19miles (31km) long. Photo was taken at 10:12 on Friday 21 May 2010 - busy eh?

Last edited:
That's one heck of a road trip! Good that your overall economy was >60mpg I'd say.

That's one heck of a road trip! Good that your overall economy was >60mpg I'd say.

Yep! 290 litres costing £314. Taking into account wear and tear, hotels and food, for Sweden alone it would have been cheaper to have flown, hired a car, and air freighted back my wife's ancient heirlooms (monetary value 0; emotional value high). So we combined the trip with stop overs for a few days in each of Denmark and Germany. I've gone back to work for a rest ;)

That really was busy compared to my personal experience of Sweden ;)

Doing part of that in Reverse in three weeks: Travemünde - Calais - Midlands, Back via Frankfurt. Looking forward to it.

Bret

it was pretty light at night, right? So that 11pm drive was just into dusk... now imagine it with a 90 limit and rain. Guess why Xiter has lots of lights on the front of his A2?

Bret

it was pretty light at night, right? So that 11pm drive was just into dusk... now imagine it with a 90 limit and rain. Guess why Xiter has lots of lights on the front of his A2?
Bret

yes, really needed some decent lighthouse lamps. Many Swedish cars have 3 or 4 big ones on the front.

Rain - sometimes on the journey it was thundering and the rain was coming down in sheets, flooding the roads and reducing speeds right down to a crawl.

Didn't see any elk but on a small short cut down a twisty narrow lane came across a herd of 5 or 6 wild boar on the road but I was going quite slow at the time. They could do some damage as well!

That really was busy compared to my personal experience of Sweden ;)

Doing part of that in Reverse in three weeks: Travemünde - Calais - Midlands, Back via Frankfurt. Looking forward to it.

Bret

We went Puttgarden going and Rostock coming back. Now, for really quiet Swedish roads I think you should go via Tornio ;)

Excellent read, Alan. Planning a trip to Monkey World in Dorset this summer. Will be driving. Is the channel tunnel the best option in your opinion to bring the car over?

We went Puttgarden going and Rostock coming back. Now, for really quiet Swedish roads I think you should go via Tornio ;)

I laughed out loud at that one. errr... no. Thanks. Maybe this weekend we go to the summerhouse, that's two hours of no traffic.

@Xiter:
I'll be taking the ferry as I want the break. The tunnel is simply another half hour sitting in the car, but in a train. If I wanted, I could go Travemünde - Calais direct, but there's not much point. I might as well enjoy the scenery and do some photography on the way.

Bret

Great road trip experience! :)
Nice to hear that Brits are visiting our country and not just the opposit ;)

I have to make some notes though, you should have spent more time in Stockholm, without exaggerating I see at least one new A2 a day that I don't recognize! :)
Stockholm must be filled with A2s, and I think the reason why there are so many here, and less outside the city is because of the long distances...
A2 has been more of a secondary car here, you don't see many on sale with more than 10'000km on the meter. You bought the A2 for the wife to have when she needed it - I guess, but this has changed now since they've gone so cheap, more people buy them and use them!
When I had our German A2 friends over after the Finland trip we saw two just on a 3h walk! :)
I'd also like to point out that GPS camera warnings are legal in Sweden, though you're not allowed to have jammers! The ticket for not having a front plate on the car is 1600SEK ~160€...

Then to end it, why E4 goes through Stockholm is a mystery! Well, I know why, but we've tried for 30 years to get the new Ring-road round Stockholm without result, thanks to many years of Socialparty leadership! Now with the right in power it's on it's way, but their period is out in October when we have new elections! If they lose the Socialparty will scrap the plans AGAIN! If the right gets 4 new years, Ring road will start 2012!

Hope you don't feel I critized you, I just wanted to add some to the story! Once again, a great one! :)

Great road trip experience! :)
I have to make some notes though, you should have spent more time in Stockholm, ......

I'd also like to point out that GPS camera warnings are legal in Sweden,

Hi Richie - many thanks for your comments. Yes, I wanted to spend more time in Stockholm (I think it is a great capital) but the 2 weeks near Stockholm got reduced to 11 full days when we decided to breakup the journey there and back (but the ferries were already booked). And then my other half filled all the days with social engagements! Did manage to see the Vasa again - this time back together compared to last time I saw it many (25?) years ago. It's really magnificent. We will have to not leave it so long to come again - flying next time!

We took the bus into Stockholm (1 hour) using a £10k all zones ticket. One thing that struck me is the location of bus stops on the motorway and the fast de-acceleration of the bendy buses. Not too sure I would want to be standing at the bus stop in the winter with icy roads!

Yes, I did have the GPS warnings on in Sweden (and Denmark, France, Belgium and Netherlands) - only off in Germany.

cheers

the GPS warnings are legal in Germany, too, but not in France and not in Switzerland AFAIK.

I will probably take P&O from Calais to Dover; Norfolkline is not really cheaper at the times I want to go and I know the terminal in Calais. The nice bit about Calais for me is called "Cité de l'Europe" and is a small, well stocked shopping centre just out of town.

Bret

the GPS warnings are legal in Germany, too, but not in France and not in Switzerland AFAIK.
Bret

The AA web site says

Germany:
A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed
speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function
deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must
not be carried.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advic...touring_tips/germany.pdf&go.x=72&go.y=6&go=Go!

France:
AA file is unreadable.

Don't get confused with Radar and Laser Detectors which are illegal in many (most?) countries.

I will probably take P&O from Calais to Dover; Norfolkline is not really cheaper at the times I want to go and I know the terminal in Calais. The nice bit about Calais for me is called "Cité de l'Europe" and is a small, well stocked shopping centre just out of town.

Bret

We took Norfolkline from Dunkirk to Dover. Pricey but booked only a few hours in advance. Good trip overall. +38,5 at Hannover Zoo was a little too hot for me though. I couldn't wait to get back in the car. Went to Monkey World as planned and it was great to see the primates in person and not just on the telly. I shot about an hour of full HD 1920x1080i until the battery was depleted. We got great footage. Then we took Brittany from Portsmouth to Caen and visited Omaha Beach. Widerstandnest 62 was crowded as expected but we were completely by ourselves at Widerstandnest 60 with maybe the best view of Omaha. I guess not many people finds it and unless I had the coordinates in the satnav it would have been a tough place to find for sure. Finished off with a drive trough the Ardennes back home to Sweden.

The AA web site says

Germany:
A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed
speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function
deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must
not be carried.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advic...touring_tips/germany.pdf&go.x=72&go.y=6&go=Go!

France:
AA file is unreadable.

Don't get confused with Radar and Laser Detectors which are illegal in many (most?) countries.

the AA can say what they like, it's not true and the sites are well documented. They are erring massively on the side of caution. Bigger issue is the video guys because of the distances between cars, which you can't always influence... never mind the idiots in the middle lane.

Just back from my own roadtrip. 7k kms. :)

Bret

About the same here, Bret.
You might have beat us with
200-300 kms, need to check
the satnav to be sure but it's
at my parents place.

I'll put this back up for inspiration :)

I fear I won't have enough leave or money for what I want to do next year.
I tried throwing caution to the wind but it's been still today :(

Back