New Style Washer Jets Modification

bobsimes

I had read the thread re changing the Plenum cover under the wiper arms and fitting the new one with the new style washer jets which can be aimed with a pin unlike the older ones which can only be moved up or down and are as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!

Being very short of money at the moment and still wanting to do a modification as they were peeing me off i thought of replacing the washer jets using the original plenum cover and salvaged washer jets, here's how i did it.

I visited my local scrapyard taking the plenum cover with me and found that the washer jets from a ford galaxy people carrier fitted the holes in the plenum cover well with no cutting and no gaps around the outside, when flush look like original items, i was charged £1 each for the washer jets (the jets from a galaxy are heated but i did not connect them up and just removed the wires but the more adventurous among you may decide to wire them up and create a circuit and switch to operate in freezing weather???), the washer jets from a galaxy are able to be moved with a pin and are two jets per unit.View attachment 4373
View attachment 4374

I used the View attachment 4369
guide to remove the wiper arms and plenum cover, (if the wiper arms are stiff to remove wiggle them from side to side and use penetrating fluid) to access both nuts on the wiper arm start the wipers and turn off the ignition when the wiper is half way across the windscreen, this allows access to both nuts.

Next iused a dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to remove some of the metal to make the washer jets fit the a2 and allow the pipes to be connected, temporarily refit the plenum cover to see where to mark for cutting (about 1cm wide 2cm long)
View attachment 4379

I then used a tad of sandpaper to roughen up the surfaces under the plenum cover to help the glue stick, i used alryldyte to glue the washer jets in which set in under ten minutes and are rock solid.
View attachment 4377

The cover can then be refitted and the tubing re attached and re routed, i salavaged a more pliable pipe from the scrapyard when buying the washer jets so i did not have to buy any tubing

The jets now work perfectly and cost a grand total of £2 plus about 1 hour to complete not including the visit to the scrap yard, i had the aryldyte in and sandpaper so didnt need to buy these but your local hardware store should have some, the dremmel tool cost me about £15 from focus (not original dremmel)and i have used it for so many repairs it is invaluable!.

See the pic with the bonnet replaced (wiper arms not yet replaced), they work well and all jets are directionable.
for the end result.View attachment 4378

Simon

Last edited:
test complete

Well we had a shed load of rain here in Manchester today and it gave me a chance to test the install, the jets perform well reaching the top half of the windscreen instead of just the bottom few inches or over the roof lol !!!!, however as we all know the wiper arm movement interupts the flow every other sweep whilst spraying which cant be helped due to the wiper design.

I am pleased with my new £2 install and recomend it if you fancy something to keep you occupied for a couple of hours.

Whats the correct part no. for the new style scuttle panel to take the new washer jets.

Cant seem to find it on ETKA

John

part no's

Thats the point with this post john you dont need to order anything from audi!! i used the original cover and salvaged washer jets from a ford galaxy but if you want to do this mod O.E then click on the .pdf fitting guide in my guide above as it has the part no's listed for the O.E parts, my mod will cost you no more than a tenner inc all glue ect and salvged parts from a ford galaxy at your local scrap yard.

hope this helps

Simon

Ideally I would prefer just to replace the jets.

Wounder if any of the polo / lupo ones from 03-05 would fit?

John

washer jets

I would doubt any other washer jets from other cars would fit directly in to the a2 holes in the plenum cover without some trimming or fixing like i have done as most washer jets on other cars are placed on the bonnet which is probably why the a2 washer jets are such a poo design,

I believe the new parts inc the new plenum cover and jets x2 are about £35 from audi in total (the part no's are in the .pdf in my post at the top of the page) , i am pleased with my £2 option and they work and look a treat!!

Simon

It was more to try to judge how much alteration is needed for the Galaxy jets.
I was thinking of trying some used Galaxy jets to see how much difference a standard jet spray made before going for the full new set.
It is just that the fan sprays are fairly useless against muddy spray that comes on melting roads.

I've done this very mod (Galaxy jets) some time ago, and it has proved highly effective! "ETKA" even gives a diagram of where the water from the jets should impact on the screen! It is pretty easy to do, too.(but do obtain some extra rubber tubing, for redirecting the pipe(s) to the new jets, below) Just a little bit of extra info for you .... I fabricated two little plastic "plates" for the Galaxy jets to sit-on .... it looks more professional and gives them a solid base ....

David

David,

Could you post some pictures of your final arrangement?
I think I'll try the scrap yard on Monday. They have 4 Galaxies at the moment. Does the VW Sharan jets work as well?

John

appreciate this is an old post, but is there any chance you could get some pictures of the galaxy washer jets you have? im fed up of the existing jets soaking the bottom half of my windows or drenching the roof and missing the main window.

thanks muchly
drew

Surely a VW group alternative would be available? I'm all for modding, especially with my generic dremmel.

Don't like the idea of fabrication and gluing for longevity.

Back