hissing coming from break pedal

lobotuk

hi there this is my first post so please be gentle with me i've had my A2 now for 8-9 years and i love it it still has the ability to turn heads.
and you all have managed to save me a fortune on the little niggles that from time to time show up:confused::confused::confused:

but i've looked through some of the posts but can't find any that are relevant :confused:

vie got a hissing coming from the break pedal once i release it,breaks don't seem to be spongy or not working ( scared hell out of me first time thought id stepped on a snake)

any ideas would be appreciated if not i'll take it to the local mechanic

thanks again
paul

Hi Paul and welcome the the A2OC. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help solve your problem. Some very knowledgeable and helpful people on here.

Cheers

Hi Paul
This is pure speculation but the vacuum brake servo has a second chamber which is utilised when the ESP is activated and individual wheels are braked without touching the brake pedal. Its possible there is some leakage between the chambers when the brakes are applied manually and this is generating the hissing / sucking noise. I suggest you have a diagnostic scan to check for logged fault codes.

Cheers Spike

We now have the issue described above ... is there any simple check or fix for this or is it the case of shelling out more sheckels at the local garage - they just love seeing an Audi driver pull in as they know they are in the money!
Cheers
Steven

Hi Paul
This is pure speculation but the vacuum brake servo has a second chamber which is utilised when the ESP is activated and individual wheels are braked without touching the brake pedal. Its possible there is some leakage between the chambers when the brakes are applied manually and this is generating the hissing / sucking noise. I suggest you have a diagnostic scan to check for logged fault codes.

Cheers Spike

We now have the issue described below ... the only reply suggested a possible root cause but it doesn't make sense as the hissing is ALWAYS there, UNTIL the brake pedal is touched. Is there any simple check or fix for this or is it the case of shelling out more sheckels at the local garage - they just love seeing an Audi driver pull in as they know they are in the money!
Cheers
Steven

hi there this is my first post so please be gentle with me i've had my A2 now for 8-9 years and i love it it still has the ability to turn heads.
and you all have managed to save me a fortune on the little niggles that from time to time show up:confused::confused::confused:

but i've looked through some of the posts but can't find any that are relevant :confused:

vie got a hissing coming from the break pedal once i release it,breaks don't seem to be spongy or not working ( scared hell out of me first time thought id stepped on a snake)

any ideas would be appreciated if not i'll take it to the local mechanic

thanks again
paul

Hi Paul
we have the same issue as the other owner described above. The hissing is ALWAYS there and only STOPS when the brake pedal is PRESSED and not vice versa .. any new ideas on this one?
Cheers
Steven

Anybody sorted out what is the problem of this hissing sound? Since I got this just as I was leaving office..

I've been there. Noticed it on the test drive and beat the bloke down for this, broken ashtray and brokensky. I sourced a decent second hand unit and had it replaced by A2Cars, as someone had made a complete horlicks of trying to fix it before. As I understand it, the servo comes out through the engine bay and the engine has to be lowered slightly to do this.

Tony and i had a very frank conversation about this and (it's an FSI) broken manifold flaps and I only commissioned the work because it's a rare 5 seat FSI with OSS and leather in ebony and 55000 miles. I do not wish to be a jobe's comforter but expect a big bill. The air leak will also be upsetting the ECU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had this his, brake servo replacement sorted it. Split in a diaphragm, it was a while ago but I recall I could feel and possibly see the detached gator on the servo in front of the brake pedal. Moving and squeezing that stopped the hissing briefly.

Yeah, same symptoms here. Tomorrow garage will take a look at that. Was the repair costly for labour?

Back