Front Shock Replacement

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and the info here is AWESOME. I've had my beautiful little A2 for just over 2 weeks and I'm loving it!!

It's a 2001 (Y reg) SE model and for it's age still in bloody good condition. I need to replace my front shocks (as i feel they're going to land in my lap anytime I heit a bump) and just wanted to know if there are any major "gotchas" that I should know about when we get stuck into it this weekend?

Thanks in advance!!

Paul

Vortex Socket set. These are the sockets you can put a Allen key through the top to stop various parts moving.

Seally Pri sockets to pri-open the hub.

Darren

The passenger side is far easier (in terms of accessing top strut bolts). The driver's side, you will end up scraping your knuckles, as the brake fluid reservoir and other bits and bobs have to be dismantled and pushed to one side.

The drop-links are 99% guaranteed to be corroded. Worth cleaning them up and take your time before attempting to loosen. Before refitting the new strut - apply some new engine oil in the strut housing. You never know when you might have to remove the strut, and it helps ease it into it's final seated position.

Back