Tesco Momentum 99

Lamby

A2OC Donor
I am very sceptical about Fuels, but V-power does make a difference to my Honda CBR 600 and the A2. The both just run smoother, with better power delivery. The bike is much improved on the V-power as this is a highly tuned machine. So on to my point. Tesco have released Momentum 99 fuel. So it's the same as the old Tesco's 99 Ron, but with a new name and marketing? As I understand it, Tesco's just buy fuel from a refinery, they don't invest huge amounts in research and development of the fuel so surely this is a simple bit of marketing that will suck in the fools that want to treat there car to "the good stuff" and not pay for V-power.

So does anyone know what it actually is?

If it is V-POWER in disguise then let me know!

I think it is just a new name for the old 99. My BM runs a lot smoother on it but less urge and growl than V-Power. Clubcard points tho!

FSIs should be run on 98 at least (iirc I'm sure they were designed with higher octane, low sulphur fuel in mind).
I'm spoilt, I have a Shell station less than a mile away that's usually the cheapest fuel station for a good few miles also:D They don't do diesel V-Power though:(
I did try Tesco99 in my Passat 1.8t and it did pull better at higher revs but then that changed my driving style and the economy wasn't great;):eek:
I'm quite sold on V-Power; it feels smoother/torquier, a bit more mpg and quieter (especially in a diesel). For me the gains add up to be worth the extra p/l.

Greenergy supplies Tesco's fuel and i think they are still the supplier for now called momentum 99. Haven't tried it yet, but I guess there could be some changes in the formula, hence a rebranding. V-power used to be called powerMax and I didn't notice much difference between powerMax and V-power. Both are significantly better than standard 95. Tesco's 99 has always bee pretty good on the 1.4 A2, particularly at motoway speeds, where as v-power is over all more enjoyable, more responsive and willing-to-go.

I once saw an article about BP ultimate petrol where an Audi A8 with the 4.2 V8 engine was modified so one bank of cylinders ran on supermarket premium fuel and the other on Ultimate.
Borescope pics of the valves and piston crowns etc showed the Ultimate fuel ran significantly cleaner than the supermarket stuff

Cheers Spike

seems to be the poor mans Optimax.
we ran the corrado on it all the time and pickup was better than any 95.

Im getting about another mile a litre on my Honda S-wing

Hello,

Surely these 'super' fuels have a range of other benefits other than mpg?! My 1.6FSi always seems happier with premium fuels inside it...

James.

Tesco Momentum99 gives my car and extra 10% minimum MPG while only costing an extra 5%. Is there any reason why I should not continue this way?? 1.4 SE

well Momentums got Ethanol in it,Will ask downthe terminal about v Power as it comes direct rather than into stock so must be a bit special.

Back