1.4 vs 1.6 fsi

wpaul

Hi,

I want to get A2 in petrol, but which one should I go for?
1.4 se I found for 3.5k
1.6 fsi se for 4.2k, I suppose it could go down to 4k

What matters for me apart from other things is MPG ( but dont want diesel ). both 1.4 and 1.6 have nearly the same consumption..

are they both as reliable ?
any pros / cons apart from some extra power ?

any suggestions appreciated

I have an FSI, so might be biased!

However:
Getting the bad new out of the way first, there are a couple of known common faults on the FSI.
1. The coil packs that sit over each spark plug were unreliable in the early days. This was a VW/Audi wide fault, and the newer coils are much more reliable apparently. I changed mine about 2 years ago, for just less than £100.
2. The NoX sensor on the exhaust can die at about 4-5 years old. Again its a £100-£150 part, I changed mine myself its a fairly easy job.

Now, which should you buy?

Well I think everyone on here would say that cost being equal, order of preferance goes: TDI, FSI and 1.4 last.

The FSI needs fuel better than 95 ron to really work. I alternate between Sainsburys super, Tesco 99 and Shell V power. The car really doesn't like 95 ron and it is designed to work with clean high octane fuel.

Now the best bit. They are absolute rockets. Compared with the 1.4 they fly. They are also faster than the diesels unless you get the diesel re-mapped.
Frugality is also excellent. I get just under 50mpg average out of mine. I pretty much work on 1 litre = 10 miles. I have had nearly 60mpg on a long run to scotland last year.

For most people on here, the advice would be to get the car in the best condition. Personally I would very strongly reccommend the FSI instead of the 1.4, its a much better engine, and is VERY rewarding to drive.

Well I think everyone on here would say that cost being equal, order of preferance goes: TDI, FSI and 1.4 last.

Fair comment, I've got the 1.4 petrol and it can be a bit weedy at times, go for the 1.6 mate, I'm sure it will be cracking car.

so now Im pretty much convinced to 1.6 fsi

now pricewise...

5k is what dealer asks for, my target would be 4.5k ( 2003y SE, 03 plate, 55k miles, glass roof, climate control, full history, warranty, apparently serviced recently )

is a 4.5k a reasonble price if its in very good state?

any opinions?

Have you been to see many other cars? Naturally price is commensurate with condition, so it's hard to say whether £5k is good or not. Though having said that £5k looks a little high to me, but I'm not too bothered by opensky, which will add to its value. See a few more and you'll quickly find the best deal.

Personally I would very strongly reccommend the FSI instead of the 1.4, its a much better engine, and is VERY rewarding to drive.
So do I !
I've had a 1.4 before my 1.6 and although the 1.4 is not as lazy as you may expect, provided you are in the right gear in order to pull at the right RPM, the 1.6 really plays in another league :) And its fuel consumption is at least as good as the 1.4
TDI's are good either. More economical, but more noise and vibration. More torque but smaller rev band... You choose :)

The one you really want is the 1.6 SE Colour Storm:

a2front.jpg

Got ours for £5k with 44,000 miles on the clock, brand new tyres, MOT, full dealer history, parking sensors etc.

The official MPG figures for the 1.6 are better than the 1.4 too!

Have to agree on the colourstorm version !!! Very nice pic there Goochie!

Mind you, to throw a spanner in the works, I have the 1.4, but always use shell v-power (been used since the car was new) and she is suprsingly quick off the mark and can easily escape many other cars at lights when the mood takes me. However, If I am feeling a bit more eco friendly, I average about 45mpg without too much hasstle.

Yes, overall the FSI engine is better as a newer design, but basically it will be quicker, as 1.6 is bigger than a 1.4!

Yes, overall the FSI engine is better as a newer design, but basically it will be quicker, as 1.6 is bigger than a 1.4!
It's not just the bigger displacement (+14% from 1.4 to 1.6) : the power goes from 75 bhp to 110bhp, that's a big difference (+47%).

i love my 1.4...car is light and 75bhp(for my driving)is ok.
maybe the 1.6 is more noisy compared whit 1.4??

antonio

Last edited:

antonio
Indeed, the 1.6 is a bit noisier than the 1.4, which is particularly quiet.
You're right at pointing that the 1.4 is light : the 1.6 is apparently a good 50kg heavier (cast iron block instead of aluminum) and it's something that you feel when driving : more understeer, more weight on the front axle. This is the same and even worse with the TDI's.

The TDI's are generally only 10-15kg more than FSI's which won't really make much of a difference! FSI's are 80kg heavier than 1.4 petrols.
I had 60kg in mind (weight difference between 1.4 and 1.6), and another 30kg more for TDI's.
But I am willing to learn the exact figures, if someone knows...
With the same equipment on all 3 models (aircon, OSS, leather, wheels, etc.), not "marketing" numbers (dry weight, no fluids, no aircon, etc)

I suppose it all comes down to the type of driving you will be doing as the 1.4 does have the advantages of A) Should be cheaper to purchase B) Could work out cheaper to run as standard 95Ron fuel will be fine C) Cheaper to insure D) Slightly less problematic as the 1.6’s do tend to ever so slightly more troublesome than the diesel and 1.4.

I’d still swap my 1.4 for one if the price was right mind..!

Ok, here are the official numbers that were in the technical press kit following the tdi 90 launch many years ago which shows the weight of the actual car with no one inside (all models are standard specification SE's) i think these will be accurate because these are the facts the dealers will have used and service teams alike:

1.4 Petrol - 897 Kg
1.6 FSI - 991 Kg
1.4 TDI - 990 Kg
1.4 TDI 90 - 1030Kg

Interesting!!

Chris

antonio

When I drove the 1.6, I drove it with the intention of giving it full beans. I don't think it is noisier than my 1.4. The 1.4 sounds quite angry when you put the foot down, the 1.6 is more of an angry, but muted sound. The 1.4 is at 3.5k rpm @70mph and that isn't particularly quiet as far as the engine goes, but I didn't remember what the 1.6 was like at that speed. The 1.4 is super quiet at 50mph in 5th, if you're not in a hurry, town speeds in 4th or even 5th (when road is flat) gears are very quiet.

But the 1.6 loves to rev and it has an extra 1000rpm over the 1.4, I wasn't used to that extra rev, kept expecting the limiter to cut in and change up too early! It is always fun to have an engine that revs properly and the 1.6 is very drivable from 3.5k rpm to redline. The 1.6 is also easier to drive off from standstill under normal speed. The 1.4 has a know awkwardness about its first gear take off.

Back