Dashboard Removal - Handsfree

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ak

I am trying to remove either the bottom half of the dashboard from the drivers side or the passengers side to install a BlueTooth handsfree car kit (Parrot CK3000).

I believe from prying that there is room for the control box on the innermost side of the drivers side but I cannot remove the dashboard. There is a screw (Torx 25) underneath on the left side but nothing on the right where the bonnet relaese lever is.

On the passenger side glove box, I cannot see any easy way to remove the dashboard (we have the airbag disable swicth there as part of the ISOFIX option).

Can anyone point me in the direction of help please? I cannot install the little box of tricks behind the stereo as it does get excessvely hot from playing the CDs.....

Thanks for the quick reply!

When you mean the footwell - where do you mean?

I was thinking about the following: Sitting in the drivers seat (RHS UK Model) - the part below the steering wheel that runs from the side of the centre console to the edge of the door. ( A picture would be sooooo helpful - sorry...). I wanted to remove that part and then fit the box on the lhs of that part of the dashboard above the footwell.......there was a single Torx 25 screw which can be reached from the footwell on the LHS of steering wheel quite a ways inside and that part of the entire bottom seems loose, but I can;t see anything retaining the rhs part...........

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/tips.htm#floor
Sorry I can't be of more help regarding the dashboard area - the thought hasn't even crossed my mind to start removing bits of it. However, the link above should show you what I mean about the space under the footwells. Both sides can be accessed by lifting the carpet, then the metal cover.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Ad a quick look and read the instruction manual - unfortunately the manual for the BlueTooth car kit says avoid placing 'box of tricks' in a metal enclosure as this affects reception/connection.

Any help appreciated.

Does it have to be in the dash? What about the space under the boot floor-often you'll find the empty plastic cradle that would normally house the satnav cdrom unit (near the battery). It may fit it here?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

It doesn;t have to be the dashboard but should be close for the following reasons......

Connections Required:
Power - 12V Permanent, 12V Ignition and Ground (I found these in the ISO
of the Symphony II) - problems initially here because of the Ignition, Audi's version works slightly differently to standard cars (like the power is cut when you pull the key out of the ignition).

Others - Front speaker (+ and -) and also radio mute - I am going to connect this to the 10 pin ISO block which is at 90 degrees to the other ISO connectors.

Misc - Connector for control (answer / hangup buttons) and also the mic.

It is really the other connectors (and not the power) that I need to put the box of tricks in the dash board.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I had some problems with the space below the steering wheel too. The serviceflap release is in the way, as far as I looked.

But you can remove the entire glovebox by unscrewing every screw in sight (about 5) AND by removing the coin-holder. It's clipped in and hides one more remaining screw. The entire box slides forward then. Also remove the connector for the little light.

But I don't know if in your case this is affected by the 'disable airbag switch'. Nor could I make a statement about the space that is available. Quite a lot, behind the center console, which is accessible if you remove the glovebox. But if your device fits...don't know.
It's not hard, so try it.

Oh, BTW: you seem to have discovered how the ignition/permanent power connections work. Any simple way to tell me? Because I too need to fix that on my current radio. Right now, everything is hooked up to something that must be 'permanent' power, since it will never shut down. Thanks!

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

OK - I'll try and explain what I found about the 12V and Permanent. On top of the Symphony II is a diagram of the connections (ISO Connector with 8 connections), starting from the top and going right:

1 - +ve 12V
2 - Empty
3 - Empty
4 - Alm./Grnd
5 - -ve 12V
6 - Empty
7 - K
8 - Empty

That is how it is labeled. I used a circuit tester (one of those screwdrivers with a bulb in the handle and a alligator clip) and found that pin 7 (marked K which I assumed to be 'Constant' hence 12V Permanent) had no power. However, the +12V did (pin1). Started the car up and tested again and the same thing happened.

This had me totally stumped as if I plugged the car kit into the car treatng pin1 as permanent, I would be worried about the kit being on and draining the power.

The strange thing about the Audi is that if you start the trun on the ignition, start the stereo, and then switch off the ignition, thestereo and everything stays on. Once you remove your key from the ignition, then stereo then switches off, the courtesy lights come on and the central locking unlocks. I think Audi uses this as a sensor to power the pins in the ISO connector.

I found from the car kit that power was kept to it for a while until I switched off the engine and waited about 5 minutes. It then powered off.

The strangest thing for the car kit (as mentioned above, the kit needs three power connections) is that although pin7 doesn;t seem to have power from testing, I still need that wired to the kit for it to work.

I hope that explains sufficiently - if not then drop me a mail or reply through this board and I will try and explainanything that isn;t clear. I will try and take a picture of the pins with explanation sometime.

Can you keep this thread going!!!!....

I'm after a Handsfree kit too and would love to get an answer - if anyone cracks it some photos wouldn't go amiss!!

Thanks

G Evans

Thanks for the info, ak!
Your 'procedure' shows me that if I ever wanted to test the contacts myself, I'd also have to build in 'pauses' to see if a connection might loose power after 5 minutes. Really strange. And a real hassle, taking the key in and out, waiting etc.

I suppose that the thing with the interior lights and door locking is smart, but I'm not sure if I agree with the same principle for powering the iso connector...

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I'll try and take pictures and document as I go along but its not a weekend job - more like ongoing windows of time in between looking after the little one. So far I have removed the stereo (pain in a*se) and sorted out how things should connect. The next stage is placing the box of tricks - still need help - anyone? yet to try removing the glove box, thats next and hopefully I have some time this weekend.

Swiv - yeah its strange - I wouldn;t swear that what I found to be accurate - its just my take on it with my limited knowledge.

Just an update really. I have managed to install the CK3000 and it just about fits all in behind the stereo. Still not sure how effective this is as the space is fairly tight (I tried to push as much as I could to below behind the climate controls).

Anyway - CK3000 works really well - but a hardware problem encountered in that the bluetooth connection is lost periodically and each time the phone reconnects, the CK3000 sends a mute signal briefly which cuts the stereo out. REALLY annoying - anyway - Parrot have been really helpful and I have sent off the box of tricks for them to repair/replace.

When it does work - the call is very clear and the system is very usable.

I will write up and post as soon as I get the kit running properly and I get some time.

Thanks to everyone who replied with input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back