Remaining A2's in the UK

Chris93

I have some very interesting news, after contacting the department for transport statistics i found out the following information:

In the UK there are 18,233 A2's registered as of the 30th of June
And they are in the following colours:
Silver-5857
Blue-5741
Black-3075
Grey-1309
Red-1091
Green-1017
Yellow-83
White-36
Orange-10
Brown-5
Bronze-3
Beige-2
Purple/Violet-2
Maroon-1
Turquoise-1

How interesting is that!! who would have ever thought there were that few considering that 176,000 were produced, the uk only has 10% of a2's

Chris

Last edited:
It is pretty cool, i knew white was rare but that is amazing, and that means that there are more a2's with exclusive paintwork than we thought as there are some maroon's, beiges and turquoise!

Chris

To be honest, there's more than I thought - I'd expected there to be something in the region of 14-15k registered cars on the UK roads now.

Good work though!

Cheers,

Mike

I'm sure there must be more than 5 brown ones, or is that castle red:rolleyes:

One of the ten orange ones lives somewhere near me, and I did think of buying another, close by. that's 2 out of the 10

I want to see some pics of the rarer colours now, have any members got cars rarer than Orange?

I would like to see turquoise!! that would look pretty cool, as would maroon i think but i am not sure about purple. I was initially shocked at how many there were but then realised that for the whole of the Uk 18k is not a huge amount

Chris

Good work. I guess the high cost of aluminium repairs may explain why a lot of cars have been written off ? it would be interesting to know how many there were in the first place . . .

Yes as would i, i might get back in contact with them and see if they hold this information

Chris

Ok here we go, the figures do not include off the road vehicles or SORN bear in mind and it is quite good as there are just about the same number of cars registered now as there were when production stopped. it does seem rather strange that there are 100 more now than in 2009 but these figures were published in december and the 2010 figures were published in june

Here we go:

2000 697
2001 5,815
2002 10,722
2003 14,021
2004 16,817
2005 18,303
2006 18,329
2007 18,199
2008 18,195
2009 18,116

Chris

Useful but what we need is how many were registered/sold in each year, NOT the totals on the road! that way we know how many are now left out of the total sold!

Well i am afraid that i dont think i can get that information! that will be from audi uk and i doubt they will release that information!

Chris

I think the maroon one lives in Amesbury, Wilts - my partner and I have both spotted it a few times!
Next time I see it I'll take a photo.
Perhaps we could have an online album of all the different colours......

I have some very interesting news, after contacting the department for transport statistics i found out the following information:

Congrats Chris.

Those with long memories will recall that back in 2006 I obtained details from the DVLA of registered A2 in the UK as at Dec 2005 - in all 7,750 records as some records covered multiple no. of A2s - see end of this email. Over the years I have given various statistical analysis of this data
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3734

At that time there had been 19,010 A2s register and as at Sept 05 there were still 18,360 left. So, by then 650 have either been written-off or exported less any imports.

It became apparent looking at the detailed records that there were loads of errors in the data, due I believe, to the data being based on info supplied by the dealers rather than the manufactured or poor keying at the DVLA (e.g. 1 A2 was registered in 1984). So many of those obscure colours are plain wrong. Other wrong data included engine size (significantly large numbers wrong due to slight differences between diesel and petrol).

Now obviously for Data Protection reasons I wasn't given the driver details but I was given county information but there was about 33% of that info missing, which having plotted on a map I realised was the Metropolitan areas. When I asked the DVLA to do the extract again they wanted £600, saying it would take days of work. Even when I gave them the database query they wouldn't relent.

So I would be interest to know Chris if you have been given some summary stats or have a full extract.

The details I obtained were:

Model
Local Authority
Colour
Year of first registration
Imported?
Exported?
Engine Capacity
No. Vehicles Registered within the above combinations

Back