Insurance quotes

john-wingnut

Just been getting insurance quotes, as due to renew soon.

Why is it so expensive???

Adrian Flux quoted me £700, or £950 with a remap

Elephant, admiral quoted £730 - no insurance with remap.

Direct performance quoted me £6000 - no joke.

I thought Flux was suppose to be cheaper for modified cars, but it doesnt really appear to be. Suspension n alloys are minor upgrades yet you get stung for them big time.

John

That's insane. I'm with Adrian Flux and am paying £350 fully comp with mods declared.
Have you:
1. declared a mileage limit (keep it below 10,000, but the lower the better)?
2. put your mother or other female relative on as a named driver?
3. removed "extras" like "free" roadside assistance?
4. increased your voluntary excess (suggest over £300)?
5. checked with one of the online "profession comparator" sites to make sure that your job description you're typing in is not one at excessive cost (they vary enourmously depending on what you call the same job)
6. considered getting an aftermarket tracker fitted?
7. got off-street parking/ (or better still, a garage) and declared that as your normal parking place?

Well

- there is no voluntary excess on modded cars apparently. According to them.

I have given all the info over that you have suggested n £950 is what they gave me with a mapped TDI.

Yours is mapped isnt it Dan??

Im only 25, n only got 2 years NCB of my own, and two people drove into my car this year - but surly that doesnt justify double the price!!!

I will put my mum on the car lol and see if that drops the cost

John

Hmm, I can see why your premium is rather high!
The point on voluntary excess sounds plain wrong though - insurance companies would all rather we paid these.

I too have heard that Will, which annoys me.

If my cars parked in a car park and someone drives into it, how is that my fault and how could that possibly mean I am more likely to have an accident considering I wasnt even in the car!!!

John

I feel your pain John. When I was your age someone drove down the side of my car when parked overnight on the road. They failed to stop so my insurance had to pay out. It took a few years for my premium to recover. Now almost 10 years later I've finally reached that happy age where most cars are easily insurable for me, if sadly not the purchase price.

I too have heard that Will, which annoys me.

If my cars parked in a car park and someone drives into it, how is that my fault and how could that possibly mean I am more likely to have an accident considering I wasnt even in the car!!!

John

I know its not everyones favourite insurance company, but have you tried Direct Line, many years ago I had someone take out the side of my car when parked outside our house (normally it would have been in the garage), and Direct Line payed out and I didn't have to pay anything, not even excess as they wrote and told me that I couldn't have forseen that someone would drive into my car and drive of again. They were also very good a few years ago when someone drove into me and wrote my car off. Both occasions number of years no claims stayed in tact and insurance premiums only changed in line with previous years.

If you have a nan and she has a driving licence still, that would be even better, my nephew has just got insurance on his first car £1900, having his stepmum on it reduced the premium by £500 deciding to have nan instead reduced it by £700.

Ouch thats not good.

Mayby if you tell then if you tell them you listen to the archers, smoke a pipe and have a pair of slippers lol

But serourly dan b has given good advice, Its just a bummer getting insurance for you youngsters. Its bad enough for us old farts.

New Zealand have got a much fairer way of doing things. You have a plate on your back bumper so the police can see it when they are behind you. But it is your road tax and 3rd party insurance all in one. If you want higher cover you just purtace fire and theft or fully comp.

At least everyone has a fair cost and cover.

But I surpose looking at it the other way, all the drivers have to subsudize the higher risk drivers. So there is no easy way of doing it.

Just try everyone you can and good luck.

Cheers

David

The 'no excess' sounds odd to me. I have used Flux on modded cars and HAD to pay a minimum excess to get insurance!!

6. considered getting an aftermarket tracker fitted?

In my experience they make no allowance for that. I was told it only made a difference on luxury cars and/or sport cars. Maybe depends where you like but I would check before shelling out on a tracker.

They said the excess is fixed at £200 and there is no voluntary excess, and if i did opt to pay more it would make no difference

John

The other thing I should have mentioned - I found this year that all of the price comparison websites gave me worse quotes than going direct to insurers' own websites, or, in the case of Adrian Flux, simply phoning them up. I have to say I think the price comparison sites are no longer particularly useful.

Had another phone call from Adrian flux today.

They have given me a quote of £795 with it remapped or £745 without it mapped, basically to encourage me to get it done.

They also told me that other insurance companies will not pay out to replace mods if damaged in a crash, even if they are declared - which I find hard to believe. If you have declared them and paid extra surely they will replace them if damaged as thats what insurance is for.

John

They also told me that other insurance companies will not pay out to replace mods if damaged in a crash, even if they are declared - which I find hard to believe. If you have declared them and paid extra surely they will replace them if damaged as thats what insurance is for.

John

They're quite correct I'm afraid. We have a modified Volvo T5 and Bell insurance will not replace the added parts (Volvo OEM bodykit and Jetex exhaust) in the event of an accident despite adding to my premium. When we had the A2 insured with them they wouldn't have replaced the alloys if they had been stolen as they weren't original either. Unbelievably, Bell wouldn't even have replaced or repaired the OpenSky sunroof as sunroofs were excluded from the policy!

Moved to Direct Line for the A2 as they cover the lot but were too expensive for the Volvo.

What if the accident wasnt your fault and costs are recovered from the other side - would they be covered then?

Admiral will cover my car with remap, alloys, lowered etc for £602.

Adrian Flux want £795, which has a £150 discount on it apparently.

Sounds like you're getting there with Admiral. Could go back to AF and say "look, this is what I've got from Admiral, can you match it or I'm off?"

But admiral wont replace like for like!!! Flux do. I have delcared mods so insurance is legal etc. They do however do a mod policy which can be added on but its capped at £500 and you can only claim once in the year.

Now in a minor prang its mainly going to be body work and possibly wheels, so that £500 will cover them so could poss do that.

Im having car mapped next sat, and have 30 days to declare it. Didnt make any difference to the policy quote what so ever which I find odd.

My insurance runs out 2nd week in Jan, but will need new policy before it runs out lol due to delcaring remap. Trouble is they need NCB proof within 30 days, but im assuming that it will be stated on a renewl quote i have X amount of NCB, which comes through 2 weeks before expire which I can send them.

John

Keep up the good work, at least you are getting it in the right direction.

You will not regret the remap:D You will just kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Cheers

David

seems to be all insurace is high and getting higher
Ive heard all companys are going up due to lots of claims else where like flooding etc !
So there passing the cost to everyone
Just moved from a golf which was group 15 that was £430 even with a revo remap.
To save money I now have the A2 and when the policy was up they wanted £880 for a standard 75 bhp car !
I moved elsewhere and got it for £290
Now my girlfriend has changed to a Smart Fortwo which I think is a group 2 and places are quoting £500 +
Smart direct quoted £750

Worried what price will be next year

Back