bended 17 inch RS wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
a couple of week ago, i drove with my car into a gap. It was a hard smack and the result, two bended wheels. The insurance guy sayed the could be fixed but because my car is just a few months old he deciced the could be replaced.

After this i have driven my car much slower on bad roads, everything went well till yesterdag. Again a bended [3]wheel and i wasn`t driving fast!!

I am glad if got a company-car, a wheel cost something like 300 euro`s a piece.

Has anybody got the same problem or am i just driving like a idiot !

(in UK the wheels are standard on the A2 sport)

[img=left]http://www.home.zonnet.nl/e.van.woudenberg/a2 small.jpg[/img=left]A2 1.4 TDI S-line
Ipaq 3870 + TOMTOM II navigator

Homepage

My car

:)and having fun driving it:)

175/60R15 tyres have higher sidewalls than 205/40R17 tyres, so may cope better with potholes.

Steel wheels may be more resistant to bending.

Whoever is responsible for the poor condition of the road should pay for your wheels though. [24]

Well, here I am again referring to 'the German forum', a2forum.com....anyway, over there they did mention that the RS wheels are very sensitive to damage. Most of the time it's just scratching of course, but bending is also possible.

Are these rims made of aluminium, or are they magnesium? Considering the ridiculous price when sold separately (was quoted about 2200 euros!), they must be special in some way.
Anybody know about the side-effects of magnesium in rims?

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I had these 17" Wheels on my A2 when I bought it, and although I drove VERY careful, I managed to dent one of them. I then swapped them for the 16" SE wheels, and one of the 17"ers tipped over while changing them...bang, another dent.
The problem is that the rims are a little wider than the tyres...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

My A2 had the 17" alloys on when I was looking to buy it second hand but after a test drive I had the dealer swap them for a brand new set of 16" for fear of kerbing the metal that sticks out past the tyre. A year and a bit later the alloys were in pristine condition until my better half got hold of the keys and tried to rearrange a concrete kerb with the off side wheel, yes the off side wheel. The strange thing is that she normally drives an Espace that’s got to be half as wide again than an A2! Luckily I managed to get a second hand 16" alloy plus tyre off EBay for about £80 and also a very large apology from the Misses if you know what I mean!

HT

TDI SE, AMULET RED, OPEN SKY,1/2 LEATHER, BOSE. UK OWNERS PAGE 11

With a slim car like the A2 there is no need to scrap your alloys on the kerb. I park at least 100mm from the kerb to avoid these scrapping problems.

[19]

quote:Originally posted by Kaine

Originally posted by amp

A2rijder.nl,

Where did you get that picture in your signature?

Amp,

the picture came from a German A2 site,

greeting

[img=left]http://www.home.zonnet.nl/e.van.woudenberg/a2 small.jpg[/img=left]A2 1.4 TDI S-line

Homepage

My car

Do you know if there's a bigger version of it? And do you still have the URL?

Hope you don't mind,

Thanks

P.S. Kaine - Vinnie doesn't really do it for me :)

Damaged wheels

I have a A2 1.6fsi with 17inch wheels and 205/40/17 tyres.
The vechile is only 12months old but so far I have fitted 3
new wheel/tyres at a cost of £500.00 each time. The damage
is due to the bad road conditions. I have tried on each occasion
to claim from my local council but have only been sucessful once.

The tyre wheel combination do not seem to stand up to any impact
whatsoever. Audi of course say they have had no problems.

Anyone else having the same problems ??

It looks like Audi are being less than honest. You've experienced bended wheel 3 times on the trot, which shows that the 17 inchers are vulnerable.

Do yourself a favour and get some steel rims fitted with 175/60R15 tyres. One guy on here bought an almost new set of 4 rims and tyres for £200.

I've got steel rims on my car, but I wouldn't swap. ;)

Audi themselves changed the tyre brand on the newer 17"ers from Dunlop SP9090 to Michelins, which are a bit wider and the rubber protects the rims a bit more...

Ciao, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

i didn`t damage the outside of the rims.

Homepage

My car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back