Wiper is dead! - dont like the snow?

thor_wulff

Hi My wife turned the wiper on when there was still snow today - and also a fair amount of ice that possible could have frozen it stuck to the windscreen.

It went up once and thats it! - she had to push it back down. The washer spray is working but no action on the wiper at all - no humming noise, nothing just dead!

I have checked the fuse (no6 i belive) and also the 602 relay under the footwell pasenger side along with the fuses there. But no fuse are blown - ?

Any ides - I do get som 12 volt on the four-pin connector that goes to the Wiper motor, but not really sure what i am suppose to get on what pin and when....

so does this point towards the motor just given up completly - motor is not moving at all but can be turned by hand - is there a repair?

Any help appriciated :)

Last edited:
did just post on the other thread

I had to get a new motor, I had a mk4 golf motor with twin spindles knocking about that was the same connector
So before I might break the 602 relay I got of e bay i plugged that in and it worked

Sadly that wasnt cheap the part was £180

Same thing has happened to me recently. Put it into an independent garage and they fitted a new motor. Total bill came to £200.00 :eek:

Sorry to bear the bad news.

Phil

might be worth making a sticking warning perhaps

Two things to be aware of

First reaction is to push the wiper back down which may not be the right thing to do as it might spin the motor backwards - COuld be a bad thing?

When parked the motor linkage is never stright ( without drawing a picture its hard to describe ) but pushing it back can make both linkages line up and it took all my strengh to push it up or down, so I think when I did this I ended up locking the motor out.

If left I think it would have possibly righted its self

Hi thanks for the bad news... :eek:

Looks like a new wiper motor then... Can you advidce what models can be used - Audi A4? or you mention Golf Mk4 ? any other that might be a good replacment?

Is there any need to get hold of the 602 relay? or would that just be a waste of money?

Do you think there woudl be a possible repair on the motor itself?

The wiper motor has an 8Z series part number which indicates its unique to the A2. As others have used motors from different car models the differences must be small but personally I would not risk paying too much for a non genuine part.
Since there is nothing to loose, I'd be tempted to strip the old motor down just to see if there were any obvious faults.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike - perhaps its a special part for A2 that is less strong?

- maybe a replacment with a MK4 Golf motor would be an upgrade...? I just think its odd that the motor would die like that? What are the fuses for - are they not suppose to burn before the motor?

I was unable to bring the car home yesterday because of the snow - so can't look at it until monday evening now :-(

My thought was to get a second hand motor ready to swap over something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK4-FRON...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b59258de

Just found this.. From Bill (not sure how to qoute him propperly) - there might be a small amount of hope that there is some "strange" problem with the A2 wiper moter, maybe if i read it a story tonight...;)

14-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Bill
Newcomer Join Date: Jul 2006

Faulty Wipers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help needed please!!!

During the recent cold weather, the wiper on my A2 froze to the windscreen but the wipers were in the on position when the engine was switched off.
The wiper position was just above the parked position and when the engine was next started, the wiper bladed jerked slightly and the wiper was switched off immediately. I then released the frozen wiper from the windscreen with lukewarm water. Now the wiper refuses to move in any switched position. The fuse is OK because the washer jets pump water normally.

It could be that the wiper motor has burnt out but I need to check any relay in the wiper circuit. Can somebody tell me where to find and identify the relay or relays? What is the test that will tell me if the relay has failed?

Urgent replies please are most appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

#2 14-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Bill
Newcomer Join Date: Jul 2006

I am happy to report that I solved this wiper problem.
I was able to get my multimeter onto the cable to the wiper motor and was able to determine that there was voltage there when the wiper switch was used.
Switching off the wipers and ignition, I then got hold of the wiper arm and the linkage arms where they connect to the motor wiper and moved the wiper arm across the windscreen (end to end) a couple of times leaving it parked as normal.Switching on the ignition and operated the wipers and, Hey Presto, windscreen wipers work normally on fast, slow and intermittent. Took it for a run at 70mph on the M6 and the wipers work normally.

What was wrong you might ask.

I don't know but assume that, when the wiper jerked forward slightly because the blade was frozen to the windscreen, the motor and wiper arm were not longer in the parked position and could not draw current. Moving the arm back and forward manually and parking it seems to have made the connection to power possible again.

Anybody else got any ideas? Please let me have your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks,
Bill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thor

Last edited:
i saw that post and tried that but it didnt work 4 me

not sure where the garage sourced the motor but due to the cost assumed it was a2 only the mk4 motor is tiny compaired to it.
i didnt get the dead motor back as i had planned to inspect it
the garage said the place (think it was direct to the manufacturer) had sold 4 that week

just make sure they make the linkage to the motor very tight as mine lasted about 15 then the bolt came loose !

I fixed it!

Had to remove the complete linkage, which took a little time... Poped the 4 plastic clips on the back of the motor and inspected the connection of the cobber contacts under the plastic cover... folded them all sligtly out to get a better contact and cleared some gunk away - but not all the grease!...
One of the contact "legs" seemed particular dirty or sodded so scraped it off with the tip of a screwdriver - put the plastic cover back on and conected the power and - it started moving as it should!

fiited all together and so far so good!

- my guess is some of these tension cobber contacts have been bend and lost contact with the motor perhaps overheated due to extra current used to push the snow -got hot and then became slightly bend....?

Not sure of all the correct technical terms but hopefully this has saved me a trip to the garage.

Before takeing my car apart i did try the method described where you move the blade back and forth a couple of times but as with mixxy i didnt work for me either.

Hope thats helpful to someone with a similar problem, wanting to DIY before having a new motor fitted.

Last edited:
Faulty wiper

Hi, we experienced a similar problem with our A2. The wiper was switched on to clear some snow. The blade moved a few inches, then got stuck. I spoke to Audi, they suggested bringing in our A2. But I felt this could be expensive, so I contacted a local mechanic.

He had a look, and by chance found that the earth to motor appeared to have failed. He rigged up a new earth, and again the motor is working as it should. A good fix for £72. I don't know if this is a common problem, but if not correctly diagnosed, a new motor might be installed.
All the best
Morrison750

Back