Information Webasto repairs

spike

A couple of club members with dead Webasto heaters have been investigating the possibility of having them fixed. Hopefully this thread will pull together all useful info to determine if repairs can be done by home mechanics or independent workshops rather than going to Audi.
One of the key items is the availability of spare parts. Its very likely the A2 unit is based on the Thermo Top E model but Webasto have no cross references to the Audi unit and cannot confirm this. I guess the only way round this is to take the Audi bits to a Webasto dealer for identification.
The glow pin burner unit seems to be a fairly common problem - see attached pics and post from richard. If the Webasto unit is suitable then its about half the cost of the replacement from Audi.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=97127&postcount=8

If the burner unit is replaced the CO2 level of the Webasto exhaust should be checked and adjusted if necessary (should be possible using VagCom) Limit is 9 - 12% CO2 by volume. Your friendly MOT test station may come in handy for the CO2 check

Cheers Spike

Some service info for the Thermo Top C model which appears to use a similar burner unit. Its not specific to an A2 but data like glow pin resistance checking may be useful - http://www.cameltrophyvehicles.com/downloads/Webasto_workshop_manual.pdf

The cameltrophy link above no longer works but I've added this from a previous Webasto thread -

http://nbalacrity.co.uk/wp-content/...cing a Webasto Thermo Top C Diesel Boiler.doc

Last edited:
Spike

Is the Webasto unit a pre heater for the cabin?

At one point I was buying new glow plugs for Webasto cab night heaters, I'm wondering if they are similar / the same

... Is the Webasto unit a pre heater for the cabin? ...

It's the standard diesel-burning coolant heater installed onto the early cars (2002 and earlier, maybe?). It's not a pre-heater as standard because it doesn't include a coolant pump, but it does get the engine coolant up to operating temperature quickly, and hence the cabin will also heat up a lot quicker than otherwise.

In the later cars it was replaced by an electric air heater (which doesn't warm up the engine coolant).

Hi mrtutz,

The Webasto heater as standard in the A2 isn't a cabin heater (night heater) as used in trucks, it's an additional heater that warms the coolant when the engine is running.

The A2’s diesel engines are very efficient, and when outside temperatures drop it can take a substantial time for the coolant to rise to normal operating temperature of 90°c with engine heat alone. At ambient temperatures lower than 5°c, and when the coolant temperature is lower than 72°c, the Webasto works to help bring/keep the coolant temperature around the normal working range.

In colder climates the same heater is modified to run without the engine running, and a by-product of this is it can be used to pre-heat the cabin. This is achieved by fitting an in-line electric water pump to circulate the water in the cooling system, and various electronic sensors and switches that allow this function to be timed or turned on via a remote fob. The electronics can power up the climate control unit, and as the coolant heats, the cabin warms.

The glow pins that are used in the Webasto’s fitted to A2’s are specific to the Thermo top C and Z variants. As you’ll probably know, there are many manufacturers of such devices, and the specs vary accordingly.

Cheers

Jeff

New owner here - first time I've heard of this heater (have gone through a few threads).

I've got an '03 1.4TDI (75) so assume it doesn't have the webasto heater.

Do the later models struggle much more with getting up to temp? It seems a shame that a useful bit of kit was designed out of the later models...

New owner here - first time I've heard of this heater (have gone through a few threads).

I've got an '03 1.4TDI (75) so assume it doesn't have the webasto heater.

Do the later models struggle much more with getting up to temp? It seems a shame that a useful bit of kit was designed out of the later models...
Later models have a powerful electric heater(matched with a 140Amp Alternator) instead working at or below 5C with certain limitations. It is noticeable when working.

You can buy an aftermarket control board for our Webasto model which allows an ‘on/off’ by 12v switch arrangement. I don’t know what errors you would get as the car CCCU wouldn’t see the Webasto anymore via CAN. You would also need to fit a coolant circulation pump but these are available.

If you want a pre-heater there are quite a few Chinese-made on eBay which include a 220v element and a circulation pump. They are designed more to run from a plug before you start the journey. 12v options exist but I’d worry about a dead starter battery and melted wiring trying to run one with the engine off for more than a very short time. 2000w @12v = 166amps! You’d also need to have some remote activation method and some way to turn on the cabin fans for best effect.

There are companies which will refit your Webasto with the pump and remote control fob linked to a control for your interior fans too. It looked pricy though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The later electric heater only heats the cabin and is located inside the cabin heater matrix, and it is completely seperate from the car cooling system. The Webasto was a mini diesel powered boiler located on the inner right hand wing that was attached to the cars coolant system. It performed 2 tasks one to quickly warm the engine coolant up to normal temperature and secondly this warmer coolant passes through the cabin heater enabling the car interior to warm up quicker.
Picture of Webasto location. If Webasto not fitted there is a gap here.
788-2708-thickbox.jpg

It performed 2 tasks one to quickly warm the engine coolant up to normal temperature and secondly this warmer coolant passes through the cabin heater enabling the car interior to warm up quicker.

It really seems like a great addition that they removed from the later models. Any ideas why? Any evidence that later models struggle more in cold temperatures?

It really seems like a great addition that they removed from the later models. Any ideas why? Any evidence that later models struggle more in cold temperatures?

Probably a cost issue. Audi were losing so much money on A2's that it was probably to reign in the budget a little.

Is there an argument that pre '03 are the ones to have then?

Any other examples of cost cutting in newer models?

The £225 2002 Tdi does not have one, I think someone must’ve binned it in the past, the undertray has the cut out for the vent so sure it must have been there at some point?

This morning it was 0c with a nice ice build up on the outside, and to be honest it didn’t take long for the heater to warm up, maybe a mile or so...
Luckily I also applied some anti fog stuff to the inside last week so that helped a bit me thinks!

I’ll test the other car tomorrow, to see if there’s much difference between them.

I think all the tdi under trays have the webasto vent holes. Audi obviously didn't think it was worth redesigning them after they stopped the fitment.

Is there an argument that pre '03 are the ones to have then?

Any other examples of cost cutting in newer models?
The roof "strips" were changed from metal to plastic around the 2003 model year no doubt to save a few pence.

One thing that comes to mind is that replacing the driver's side top strut bearing in a Webasto car will surely be even more fun than one without.

The argument against the pre-03 cars is that they don't have the big (42L) fuel tank as far as I'm aware, so while you might have a webasto, there is a disadvantage. I find the electric cabin heater works well in my 04 car - it is clearly having an effect on the windscreen and middle vent for hand warming within a mile of home, even though the engine water temp gauge only starts to move just as I arrive in work.

even though the engine water temp gauge only starts to move just as I arrive in work.

I've noticed my temp maxes out at about 73 C - I think I'm going to get a new thermostat and temp sensor in just to cover the bases, but it does seem like a fairly common 'feature'...

Back