Leaking fuel filter housing.

john-wingnut

Serviced my car on Sunday, including fuel filter.........

Drove around fine on Sunday and started fine this morning. Drove to town. All good.

I then drove to Shell for fill up with diesel. Filled car up and went to go but car wouldn't start.

At first Im thinking 'have I put petrol in', checked receipt was deffo diesel.
Got out of car and walked around to fuel filter side, to find a reasonable size puddle of diesel under where the fuel filter is.

Got back in and cranked it over until it started (primed air out etc) and drove home.

On inspection diesel was literally leaking out from where the drain plug is on the filter housing.

Removed the drain plug to find the top part was no longer attached, as in drain plug in two parts :S

What caused it to break?? As I drove around for a day without any problems or leaks at all??? I used OE filter and replaced seals etc.

Now I cant use my car until I purchase a new filter housing which is £60 as drain plug is not sold separately - or is it, I couldn't find it in ETKA.

Really P***ed off as something like that should not happen.

It's highly likely you over-torqued the drain plug and snapped it. I did exactly that when I replaced my fuel filter. Unfortunately it isn't available seperately and you will have to fork out for a new housing (which irritatingly comes with a new filter just like the one you'll already have bought!

The drain plug needs only be hand tight. When I had the issue I posted on the forum then and Skipton gave the correct torque setting for it but it was so low my torque wrench couldn;t read that. Something like 2Nm but if you search around for an old thread of mine about fuel filters you'll likely find it.

Iain

Yer I knew it was only 2Nm and I did only tighten by hand.

My point is, if I had over torqued and snapped it, then it should have leaked from the start. Not over a day later!!!

John

I had mine replaced a few months ago, the same problem, diesel leaking from the housing & mine had not been touched for a few thousand miles, the only thing we could think was something may have come up of the road & hit it.

Mine took ages to start & I had a big puddle of diesel under the car :(

These little plastic bolts do snap really easily and to be honest, you probably did over-tighten it John - not having a go at all, as it's so easy to do.

The plugs are suseptible to becoming brittle over time too, which makes high mileage changes particularly fraught with danger.

What's almost certainly happened in your case is that the bolt has snapped, but the larger part has been held in situ with the O ring for a while. The running around for a day or so has finally dislodged the O ring eventually and you've then had the leak.

It might be worth finding if we can get a metal (aluminium) version of this bolt made, as I suspect the parts will become very scarce in a few years and so for the sake of a tiny plastic bolt, we could find our cars are unable to run!

Cheers,

mike

Metal one sounds like a plan. I'd be up for buying one of these.

Where would we get one of those made??

John

I know a chap in Edinburgh that would be able to do it and it's a good idea. My only worry is that without a significant order it may prove quite costly per item.

Only way to find out is ask him.
I'd buy two to be honest.

Also I cant see it costing £60 which is the cost to get a new one should the plastic one break

John

I'd have half a dozen or so - they'd come in useful as an offered upgrade when I do services.

Cheers,

Mike

I PM'd mike sumo to see if he can fabricate some as I know he has done metal work for other forum members

John

If you have no luck, let me know I just thought, I have had some parts made for bikes by a guy on another forum, he is an engineer for a medical company, he made wedge for a bike stem, I think it's made from stainless steel, so he may be able to make these filter housing drain plugs.

mail-4.jpg

photo-11.jpg

It's got a bit of surface rust on it from being in a bike, but it is identical to the original apart from it is made from stainless. I can't remember but I think he only charged me £5.

So if you have no luck, let me know, he may be able to help :)

Hi sorry for the delay but i have been in mallorca over the holiday period.if someone would like to send me a sample one i will knock some out.mike(skipton01) do you have one kicking arround?
cheers mike

metal filter bolt.

Hi guys, im up for a couple of these, if they becme available,
Cheers Alan.
Ps, dont forget to let me know.

Last edited:
I don;t have a spare one Mike, but John is searching the scrappers and I'll do the same.

If all else fails, I'll get a new spare in and send it off.

Cheers,

Mike

are the housings available only from dealer, also do they come with filter etc?
I am having rear brakes done at independent and mechanic has cracked the housing whilst trying to refit brake pipe.
if they come complete, i may have a plastic bolt which we can use as a pattern
Glen

Hi Glen,

Yes, the housings are dealer only parts and yes, they come with a filter installed.

Looks like there may well be a spare in the offing.

Cheers,

Mike

sounds like these will be in demand so as soon as i get one i will try to get some made. cheers mike

Back