Passenger door stuck

tupholme

Hi,

I've had my A2 for two years but I'm new to A2OC. I hope someone can help with this first issue I've had with the car as otherwise I can see an expensive dealer bill coming up! Thanks in advance!

Basically, my front passenger door is stuck shut. All the other doors work normally. I've tried all sorts of things, trying to open from inside and outside, both at the same time, spraying in WD40, pushing really hard - no luck, it's solid. There was no sign of a problem beforehand.

General electrics are no problem as the window works. The only slightly unusual thing is that when I start the car it sounds like the lock mechanism in the doors does something, which I don't remember happening before this jamming.

I've tried to disassemble the door by taking off the inner panel, but you can't get very far with the door closed - it needs to be open to be taken apart. I don't really want to rip up the interior.

Anyone had this before, or have any ideas? (The car is a 1.6 petrol, 54 reg.)

Thanks & regards,

Jeff

It is possible to remove the doorcard - just be forceful but controlled with it.

I had a similar problem to this, but on the rear passenger door. The car was 1 week within the warranty period, so although I tried a fix myself, it was ultimately done under warranty.

The good news is that parts were not that expensive (even though I didn't pay a penny, I did see the parts lists), but the bad news is that the old lock had to be chiselled out from the inside as it was deadlocked and refused to open.

Take your time, get it all stripped down as much as possible and if at the last hurdle, you can't get the lock out, get an auto locksmith to do the work - it'll be cheaper than a franchised dealer and having done most of the prep work, should be pretty reasonable,

Cheers,

Mike

A sight update to the problem. The sound from the door mechanism is the same as the one you get if you use your driver's door central unlocking button, with the doors already open - sort of a half lock sound. It's hard to tell if the sound is coming from the passenger door but it seems not, just the other doors. The sound happens when you turn on the electrics with the key, just before starting the ignition. Is this normal A2 behaviour, please?!

The central lock/unlock button is no help in getting my door unstuck, by the way.

No. You possibly have a screwed KSG / CCU.

Disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 10 minutes or so, that might resync the door black box with the main KSG box.

Bret

Thanks Bret. I've tried the battery disconnect this afternoon but unfortunately it made no difference to the door issue.

I'm finding it hard to tell if this is an electrical problem or a physical jam. The door handles don't offer any resistance but there are no unusual sounds coming from the door when I try to operate it either.

Just found out that this is going to cause me to fail my MOT next week if I don't get it sorted - both front doors need to open, apparently.

So unless anyone has any other ideas I'll have another go at removing the doorcard, as otherwise I'll be paying for a professional job.

Have you had a diagnostic scan done to check for fault codes??

If it does end up being your CCU ( Central convenience unit) parts depot on ebay have a new one going for £120 which is a good price as new from audi is £200 odd.

John

You can easily remove the front door card with the door shut and you really should have a go - there's nothing to lose.

This sounds (as I've already said) exactly like a problem I had a while back and it turned out to be the wiring loom and the door lock was replaced too.

Might be better to have it all done by a professional before the MOT so you're not off the road for any length of time.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the advice guys. As you can probably tell I'm hesitant about starting on something I'm not sure I can finish! Haven't done any real car maintenance since I was a teenager, when everything was just nuts and bolts with no electronic side to consider!

Aarghh......Now this has happened to me also...Passenger door is jammed..can not open from inside or outside and I have tried the 2hrs disconnected battery with no luck.
When i switch om the ignition all locks makes the lock / unlock sound.
About 2 weeks ago a shop removed the handles on that Side when they resprayed the doors but they have worked since then.

Any ideas?

I think you have already found the fault. Probably the cable not set correctly or broken. Do not panic and try this video. Dont worry you do not have to grind the door.

Let us know if it works. Reset cable or if broken replace.

Hmm, i put in a "snakecam" through the hole were the lock should have been and did not see a cable, I saw a operating rod, and it was..operating.. when I pulled the handle and was connected in both ends.
Soo, I guess I need to remove the door card and lock with the door closed :(

I had an issue with the rear driver side passenger door on my B5 passat where it would not open, it still attempted to unlock but didn't make the correct sound if you get what I mean.

The outer handle was still attached to the cable, as was the inner handle cable. I tried lots of different things and attempted to dismantle the door to access from the inside, WD40, none of which worked.

I came across a post suggesting thumping on the lock latch area and this is what worked for me.
The sequence was lock, then unlock whilst banging/thumping on the latch area (If I remember - from the inside so as not to damage paintwork). I also had someone pull the exterior handle whilst I was thumping on the latch area. Thumping wise I used the side of my fist initially but then moved onto a plastic/ rubber mallet.

The door opened after a good few repeated lock/unlock with thump. I could tell by the sound that the the door lock made that it had released properly. I cannot remember if the successful attempt had an exterior door handle pull at the same time or not.

I disassembled the door and lock mechanism, cleaned the whole lot out and checked the usual microswitches and solder joints. Everything worked fine for years after. I think the issue was a built up of crud preventing the release of the latch armature.

John

Worth a go I guess, I think it was the shock of the thump that jolted mine free whilst the unlock process was active rather than force - I didn't have to push anything.

Did you follow the video and try the metal hook on the lock through the outer door handle? You can see the cable in the video it sits into teeth in the handle NOT where the lock barrel would be. Note the part where he explains about the lock going full stroke using a staple gun to illustrate. If the little cable is too tight the mechanism never resets.

Well, I looked att the video several times, but when i looked and stuck my finger inside to feel I found no wire or ataching hook..it was more of a leveraging mecanism and a pin / rod.
Ifound a picture in a thread that looks like it and try to Link below

Screenshot_20190925-230545__01.jpg

Back