Fuel leak

Nibrassluka

Past Member
Hi, my TDi(75)(2003) as a fuel leak (im told) from a metal plate thats bolted on and something to do with the fuel/vacuum pump. Can anyone help with exactly where this is and also how it can be fixed? The garage is telling me that audi at one time did a kit with the plate as bolts for about a tenner (recall fault on 2004 models) but no longer do this and you have to buy a new pump to get it :eek:
I can't even see where it is so any help appreciated..............
Thanks
Alison

Hi Alison
The fuel/vacuum pump is located on the back (gearbox end) of the cylinder head so you will need to remove the engine cover to see it.
The recall was for pumps made by Luk (Bosch ones were ok) and involved replacing the cover bolts only. There was no cover plate kit as the only parts used in the campaign were 5 bolts and a gasket-to refit the pump back on the engine after repair.
Bosch pumps had a cast aluminium cover plate and Luk pumps had a black steel cover plate.

Cheers Spike

Im suffering the same thing at the moment
I have the gasket Kit on order 038 145 215

My concern is that the gasket set might be for a revised pump which I'll only descover when I remove mine. Then my only option is the new part for £300

The seals I was after are EOL
Seal - 038 109 293
Seal - 038 109 293 A

Hopefully its all gone into a kit

Last edited:
i dont suppose anyone has any pics do they?? I have a diesel smell that i cant find any leaks too but im only getting 240 miles to a tank too!!!

Kaz

Theres a picture in my gallary / stuff album
Large silver block on the right of the engine

Interested to know how you get on with Audi Alison, without taking mine off its hard to tell if its leaking from the front ( 2004 recall ) or back
Audi here checked and mine hasnt any recall cover and they will not except my diagnosis so would charge £50 to inspect and see

I've got the gasket 038 145 215
And managed to get a revised pump 038 145 209 K for £60 incase the gasket doesnt fit my 038 145 209 E

Last edited:
I have this problem now with a Luk pump, 120k miles. Audi advised that gaskets are not available and the only option is a new pump. This appears a bit waste full (and expensive) for the sake of a gasket would anyone be able to advise?

In the short term, and on the basis I had nothing to lose, I have tightened the cover screws in the hope that there would be some compression left in the gasket. It's too early to know if this has worked or not.

Yes I tightened the screws and the leak has gone. I'm not sure how long it will last but in the short term I have saved the cost of a new pump.

In the early days there was an issue with the tappings in the pump body being too shallow, causing the cover mounting screws to bottom out.
If it starts to leak again I'd be tempted to check the thread depth with a longer 'slave' bolt, then if required, grind approx. 1mm off the existing bolts before refitting. Do the check and bolt replacement ONE AT A TIME to minimise disturbance of the gasket.

Cheers Spike

Gaskets for the pump are available from Audi - I had to assist another member a few days ago whose car developed a leak from the pump. He took it to a HIGHLY respected VAG independent in Milton Keynes and quoted £1200 for a new pump and associated work. Good thing he took the advice to buy a set of gaskets, remove the pump and check before committing to the indy.

blue skies
tony

sorry to bother you, can I ask which bolts you tightened the bolts that fix the pump to the head or the torx bolts on the front black cover, thanks

Back