windscreen relay/ motor issues

spinner

Hi, seems to have been a few windscreen wiper related problems over the last couple of months. Right now I have a non functioning wiper. In the cold spell we have had here I suspect the control arm was left on pos 1 then started and causing some problems.

Now when windscreen control selected in any position, nothing no movement.

I have checked fuse no 6 ok , (washer jets work just to double confirm)

Have just replaced new relay, used a part number from a thread here and received a relay which from other threads has superseeded my old 602 relay, anyway here is picture of the difference brown is new 603 relay black is the old suspected faulty 602.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2feBx-jMLeMWUEmUApYbsA?feat=directlink

Ok cut to chase the new relay not fixed the problem..

Question is what now can i do next ? have multimeter but limited knowledge of car electrics. Is it possible to test the windscreen wiper motor?

any help be much appreciated.

ok has given me a few ideas thanks. If I needed to check all the connections to the wiper motor with multimeter, do you or any member have have the schematics (what wire does what) so I can investigate a bit further. cheers

removed the wiper motor today, tested the connections from the relay to the motor. The results were very well what can i say unreliable, the intermitent , no 1 and no 2 connector all showed some signs of life but not all the time. Set the motor into a vice and connected a 12v source to the pins inside.. hey presto everything working as it should.

Ok looks like an earthing issue, took the motor back over to the car installed it and made a temporary earth from somewhere cannot remember exactly but it sprung into life and works great. Phew lots of money saved.

If this was 1989 and the car was a mini 1275gt i would of been quite happy with this solution. Now I am older and wiser I want to track down the faulty earth and try and rectify the bad earth.. looked at a post from sarge in 2002 illustrating the earthing points , brilliant but can anyone tell me where the brown earth terminates for the wiper motor ?? have looked in and around the footwell but nothing there.?

Ok some tips if you have problem with windscreen wiper motor
1)test the earth first take a temporary earth to the wiper motor and see if it helps.
2) when trying to test the connector to wiper motor take out the wiper motor before you remove the connection., believe me even with the tutorial from Skipton on audi connectors you will be lucky to remove it in the cramped conditions up there in the bulkhead. 4 bolts and whip it out then all will become clear and you can take your time to remove the connector.

Ok so anyone know the location of the other end of the brown wire that connects to the wiper motor.

According to the wiring diagram, the earth for the wiper motor (2.5mm sq brown) terminates in the left headlamp earth point.

This is a known bad earth area and is sometimes the cause of poor starter motor earthing too. It is situated down below the ABS controller and is a 12mm nut type earthing point.

If I were you, I'd run a new earth in.

Cheers,

Mike

brilliant , thanks for the information saved me a lot of wire tracing . Will run a new earth as suggested.

brilliant , thanks for the information saved me a lot of wire tracing . Will run a new earth as suggested.

from reading other posts on this forum it would seem this earth point holds the key for many critical systems.... I would remove the light and take a good look as the wiper motor could be the start of many electrical gremlins if this one is left alone..

cheers for all helpful advice. Made a new connection from the earthing point as illustrated in spikes picture and all working well. Everything else associated with this earth point appears to be working. If anyone has to look at this earthing point for any reason I can also suggest removing the left hand side headlamp unit as a way to reach this tricky nut. Once removed it gives much more access to the area.

oops already mentioned earlier by mj hamilton (removing light)

Last edited:
Hi does any one have any more information on this subject?

My wiper stoped yesterday and when I test with a new ground wire the wiper runs fine.
I tried to clean the earth point but that did not make any difference.

So has anyone figured out where the brown wire connects to the thick black cable?

I spent a few hours trying to find the bad connection but ended up with creating a new ground connection.

Same Problem Here

I spent a few hours trying to find the bad connection but ended up with creating a new ground connection.

Just drilled into wiper motor aluminium subframe and fitted stainless self tapping screw to create new ground return to LH engine bracket. Wiper problem solved immediately. Hours saved trying to trace a fault, minutes to fix it "The Power of the Forum"! Donation sent.

Back