Near side strut bearing replacement.

Renegade

I have just replaced my strut bearing on the audi a2 and was surprised how easy it was. the other thing is that the top mount was not needed as the old one was fine.

The whole job would have cost me around 12 quid when I take the top strut back to Audi.

Hope you're right about that top strut bearing. In my experience (I've done both sides), the part should be replaced as a matter of course. ;)

Not true they dry out, when i fitted my FSD's i replaced both sides one side was making a noise but the other side wasn't but on removing and replacing both sides, the other side was not far behind the other and the one that was making the noise fell apart when we removed it

Cheers Phil

Could be crossed wires here due to terminology. The way I read the post was that the ball bearing races had been replaced but the (top mount) housing which they fit into had not. That's how I did mine when fitting Koni FSD's
Is that correct Renegade?

Cheers Spike

Slightly related - I have just discovered I have a broken off-side spring on the front (I thought it was just the strut bearing making the noise). What parts should I have replaced while this is being done? and could I just have one side done at this time?
It's at the garage (Jabbasport) as we speak and ordering part/s for tomorrow so a quick response would be appreciated - don't want to not do something only to have to re-do the job again at a later point.

Last edited:
Would the phrase 'strut bearings' encompass 'the top strut mount' (is it one and the same?)
Before seeing the car the garage said they would usually recommended the rubber top mount be replaced at the same time as the bearings (the bearing sits underneath the rubber top mount apparently) but said both sides would need to be done at the same time if it was done.
If I do both sides at the same time should I get the spring bump stops changed too? and shock absorbers? or is that OTT.

Last edited:
Last chance for input if possible? :confused:

UPDATED:

Jabbasport replaced my off-side front spring and top mount bearing for a total of £175.

Top Mount Bearing was £17.11, Genuine Audi Spring was £73.16, Labour £84.75 (1.5 hrs at £56.50 per hour) all inclusive vat.

Recommendation is to have both front springs changed at the same time (plus bearings) but Skipton has said in a previous post that should a correctly colour coded Audi spring be used and the subsequent ride height (once bedded in) be within 6mm of the opposite side then is wouldn't be neccessary.

Clearly there is confusion over the various names for the components - a shame there isn't an exploded diagram with each bit named :(

Last edited:
Back