Power Steering Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenM

A2OC Donor
******* Please RTead*********

A few weeks ago I left my A2 1.4 petrol idling on the drive way, with the lights on (it was dark). Suddenly the headlights start to dim then become bright again. didnt think anything of it. The engine was idling ok but, as I pulled into work the power steering failed. Not entertaining as this has now done this even when on the motorway or country lanes. Took the bonnet off and could hear a 'whiring' noise coming from the alternator, it was if some sort of pump was trying to work but could not.

Took it into Bedford Audi on Friday who checked the car saying it could be that I need a new alternator, (as the powersteering pump and belt work of the alternator)

HOWEVER, they have found that one of the main cable lines from the battery to the car itself has been chaffing against something exposing the wire. Basically my car has been earthing itself and sparking (not nice in a engine area!)....... BANG!

I havent been able to establish exactly where this 'chaffing' has been taking place (phanar phanar!) but will let you know but it should be noted. The cable is on Back Order from Germany... mmmm, unusual none in stock anywhere in the UK?... how odd... is there a big need for them?..... A potential recall issue!!!...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back